Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canvas settings on Epson 9900  (Read 14700 times)

LeiMeng

Canvas settings on Epson 9900
« on: September 30, 2009, 06:22:46 pm »

Would someone share how you set up parameters when printing on canvas with your 7900/9900?

I was printing on a 44" roll Epson canvas Matte. The image has large area of blue sky and there shows white bands (parallel to the print head movement, a few mm wide and a few mm apart). My parameters are set up as below:
Super Microweave: on
High Speed: off
Finest detail: off
Drying time per print head pass: 0
Paper feed adjustment: +50 (I set this number according to the paper's manual)
Paper suction: standard
Platen Gap: auto
Roll paper back tension: auto

From 9900's manual: "Paper feed adjustment helps reduce banding..."  Is this the banding they mean exactly?

I plan to tweak this parameter and see how banding changes.  But if anyone can share your settings that would be helpful.  Thanks in advance.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 06:38:02 pm »

The only thing I see different then my 7900 is the Platen setting. I am setting mine to wider. I do not have automatic as a choice in the printer menu. Where are you getting all of your listed settings from? Printer menu?
When I am printing blue sky on canvas it really looks like banding but is just the texture of the canvas showing through. What you describe sounds different.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 06:39:54 pm by Dan Berg »

LeiMeng

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 06:57:51 pm »

Quote from: Dan Berg
The only thing I see different then my 7900 is the Platen setting. I am setting mine to wider. I do not have automatic as a choice in the printer menu. Where are you getting all of your listed settings from? Printer menu?
When I am printing blue sky on canvas it really looks like banding but is just the texture of the canvas showing through. What you describe sounds different.

I print from Lightroom 2.5 on Mac OS 10.5.7.  These "auto" settings were the defaults in printer menu.

The banding I have is certainly not the canvas texture.  It's much wider.  why do you set platen gap wider?

pleverington

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 06:09:22 pm »

I know very well exactly what you are seeing. Does it appear only in different areas randomly or is the whole print like this--just curious. What you have to do as far as what I have been able to figure out is print at 2880 and probably move the paper feed slider back to -70. But you'll still see this happening from time to time. You need to bypass the back tensioning on the roll by either sheet feeding your canvas or constructing a spindle, set up above your 9900 so there is no back tensioning. I'll be using my old 9600 spindle for example. This is a problem of the new printers and when I called about it they had no idea what I WAS TALKING ABOUT! eeee---yaaa. A very long sheet fed canvas by the way will develop possible back drag resistance if it is drapped over the back of the machine and will in effect cause back tensioning--and then of course --banding.

Also would you please measure your prints and post how much they are off in dimension on the length. My guess would be that they are too short--much more than what canvas shrinkage would dictate.

Did the canvas manufacturer recommend +50 for the 7900--or just any printer in general? And whose canvas are you using?

Paul

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 06:36:09 pm »

Per Epson ,standard is the platen setting for most papers and I use wide and widest for canvas. Due to a previous head strike Epson instructed me to use wide or widest platen settings for canvas.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 06:40:15 pm by Dan Berg »

BobDavid

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 07:18:27 pm »

You may try lowering the suction.

LeiMeng

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 08:22:27 pm »

Quote from: pleverington
I know very well exactly what you are seeing. Does it appear only in different areas randomly or is the whole print like this--just curious. What you have to do as far as what I have been able to figure out is print at 2880 and probably move the paper feed slider back to -70. But you'll still see this happening from time to time. You need to bypass the back tensioning on the roll by either sheet feeding your canvas or constructing a spindle, set up above your 9900 so there is no back tensioning. I'll be using my old 9600 spindle for example. This is a problem of the new printers and when I called about it they had no idea what I WAS TALKING ABOUT! eeee---yaaa. A very long sheet fed canvas by the way will develop possible back drag resistance if it is drapped over the back of the machine and will in effect cause back tensioning--and then of course --banding.

Also would you please measure your prints and post how much they are off in dimension on the length. My guess would be that they are too short--much more than what canvas shrinkage would dictate.

Did the canvas manufacturer recommend +50 for the 7900--or just any printer in general? And whose canvas are you using?

Paul

Thank you, Paul.  I'm glad someone shares the same experience. I have this banding rather randomly at different areas -- not the whole print. And this happens on 44" roll, not on 13" roll (haven't tried other sizes). I guess tension is not uniform for larger rolls.  I will try printing at 2880 dpi and reducing the paper feed parameter (doing this kind of experiment is expensive   ).  Also let me measure my print dimension and report back.

The canvas I use is Epson Matte canvas.  It's manual recommends +50 for 78xx/98xx series but doesn't say for 7900/9900 (printer is still too new or paper is the old stock). I thought these two generations of printers should be similar so I set at +50.  Apparently that's not the optimized setting for 7900/9900.

LeiMeng

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 08:27:05 pm »

Quote from: Dan Berg
Per Epson ,standard is the platen setting for most papers and I use wide and widest for canvas. Due to a previous head strike Epson instructed me to use wide or widest platen settings for canvas.

I see.  Thanks.  My own trick to avoid head strike is to set paper thickness a little bit thicker.  It's probably equivalent to setting the wider platen.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 08:51:34 pm »

The paper feed adjustment for Canvas is to help with the issue that all Epson printers have, they can't get the Running Length correct with Canvas.
Epson about 1 year ago started adding the paper feed adjustment of +50 to their canvas for this reason.  Not having a 7900 or 9900 I can't tell you
if this issue has been fixed but I strongly doubt it.

With any Epson I have used, 7500, 7600, 7800, 7880 and 9880, the Running length of the print will never come out correct. Example, if you print a
30 x 40,  44" canvas, where the 40 is the width and the 30 is height, what I call Running Length, if you just leave the print at 30, you will be short, as
much as 1/4" or more.  The width of 40" will be perfect.  This issue comes into play more if you are working with a mirror edge where everything needs to
be exact.

The other solution has been to add a small amount to the print that will be the height (RL) which will compensate for the Printers problem.  I have found
this to work much better than the paper feed adjustment which can cause the banding you have found if it's set wrong.  For each print size you will need
to determine the extra amount to add.  

I would recommend taking the paper feed back to neutral or 0 and run the print and see if your height, running length is exact or off.  If it's exact, forget
about the paper feedadjustment.  if it's not still forget about the paper feed adjustment and start figuring out the amount you need to add to each print.

The platen gap will have nothing to do with banding, but instead head strikes on the canvas.  Especially true on the edges, where sometimes the canvas
will turn slightly up and the head hits it and then will drag ink over the rest of the print or a part of it.

Paul Caldwell

Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

pleverington

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 12:04:16 pm »

Quote from: LeiMeng
Thank you, Paul.  I'm glad someone shares the same experience. I have this banding rather randomly at different areas -- not the whole print. And this happens on 44" roll, not on 13" roll (haven't tried other sizes). I guess tension is not uniform for larger rolls.  I will try printing at 2880 dpi and reducing the paper feed parameter (doing this kind of experiment is expensive   ).  Also let me measure my print dimension and report back.

The canvas I use is Epson Matte canvas.  It's manual recommends +50 for 78xx/98xx series but doesn't say for 7900/9900 (printer is still too new or paper is the old stock). I thought these two generations of printers should be similar so I set at +50.  Apparently that's not the optimized setting for 7900/9900.

LeiMeng--OK that's what I wanted to hear--errrr sort of. Just to make sure that your banding situation is the same as mine. And it is. It's random and at different areas around the canvas. What I think is going on is that since canvas is a stretchy type media--more so than paper--when the back tensioner pulls back constantly you have these areas where the canvas can slip under the rollers. It may be due in part to slight variations in the canvas or it may in part be due to the rollers being of different adjustment or maybe a little glazing on their surfaces. Whatever the cause, I think the canvas does not advance as much as it should in an area and because canvas does stretch, this is allowed to happen a small ammount here and there, and the print head then prints a partial overlap pass where it just printed one on the previous shuttle. Perhaps this happens on a couple of head passes, but eventually the canvas releases, and catches up to the rest of the sheet in it's feed to where it should be. Consequently, there is a "jump" where the print head skips a row or two as far as a complete inking pass, which then creates the sporadic white banding we are both seeing. Your like the only other person so far that I have heard reporting this except for myself.

I didn't even realize what was going on till one day I was printing profile targets off my canvas rolls. They consistantly showed passes of ink laid down between the rows of color swatches where there should have been pure white. At first I thought I was seeing color bleed or something. Now since I was doing profiling for all kinds of media for the new printer, I had also other targets of papers from sheets laid down next to ones of canvas made off the rolls. Quite by accident when two targets were next to each other and lined up I first noticed that the canvas one seemed shorter than the paper one. When I measured, sure enough almost 1/4 inch too short from the ten inches it should have been. That's when I figured things out. Up to that point I tried every adjustment I could think of including back tensioning adjustments in maintenace mode II. Nothing helped except printing at 2880 and printing at -70 paper feed. In this case the paper feed and closer passes at 2880, allowed me to slow the advacing canvas down--thus lessening the shorting and banding--but I knew this was no solution. On a print of 6 foot I was looseing a inch by the way. This is why it's important for you to measure your prints and post the results, so that this problem can be nailed down from consistant reporting results from different machines LeiMeng.

Next I tried printing the canvas targets with sheets cut from the rolls. Voila! No more short prints! No head pass overlaps leaving color between the rows of target color. It also occurred to me that this was the problem with the banding I was seeing.

Planten has nothing to do with it neither does suction, or any other of the adjustments. It's the back tensioner. If it's possible, we need a way to turn it off for certain media. Maybe an increase or adjustment of feed roller pressure but you would tend to think that might cause other problems such as roller tracks and pinching

I never had anything of a problem like this using my 9600 for six to seven  years with the same media's.

Hey Paul--

The info I got on the slight loss of canvas length and the reason for the cause differs from what you posted above. It's not the printer but the inherrent nature of canvas to shrink a bit when the wet ink hits it and dries. I have been told this is normal and has always been the case with canvas. Most folks expand their image a certain percentage to compensate in the long direction if this would be a problem for them. It's not a large ammount--maybe 1/4 inch on a six foot piece.

Like I said before in other posts I will be fabricating a free wheeling spindle using my old 9600 spindle and a propriety home made bracket above my 9900, and use this for canvas. The regular in machine media holder will be used for paper.

This problem is not gonna be unique and there needs to be a gathering of us who are afflicted with it so that we can get epson's attention and action. I'm hoping a firmware update with an option to turn off the back tensioner and let it free wheel would be possible--but for some reason I tend to think that since it is all geared together probably with the motor that this might not be entirely possible.

I would wish that anyone using the 7900 or 9900 with canvas start measuring their output and if seeing shortages report it here on this thread. We can then direct Epson to it so they can fully embrace the reality that they need to do something about it.

I burned up two and a half 44" full rolls of canvas and ink trying to figure this problem out.

Paul Leverington---Epson 9900 owner
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 12:15:32 pm by pleverington »

pleverington

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 12:57:51 pm »

LeiMeng--The platen is for head strikes--set it for wider or widest manually if your seeing head strikes. Suction may also affect this problem--for canvas leave it at normal. The paper thickness setting changes the height at which the ink head will lay down it's ink to the top surface of the media. You should set that at the correct ammount for the thickness of the media. If you make that too high of a setting the ink has to shoot a further distance and you will loose dot control and accuracy--both give you less sharpness and less accurate color. A guide for the paper thickness setting is 1mm of setting in the driver correspond to 4 mil of paper thickness. So a 12mil paper for example will have a paper setting of 12 divided by 4 which is 3. Put that in as your paper thickness setting. Round off to the next highest number for thickness if it's a lot over the lesser number.

Paul
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 01:00:11 pm by pleverington »

LeiMeng

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 04:51:41 pm »

Well, I'm here to report that the banding is gone, after I changed the feed parameter to 0, nothing else was changed.  By the way, my printer menu doesn't have 2880 dpi setting available for canvas (only 720 or 1440 can be chosen).

I also measured the output length.  The photo size is 43.5" x 33.5" in Lightroom and I print it in landscape orientation on a 44" roll. The previous banding print (feed set at +50) is measured to be 43.5" x 33 3/4"; whereas the no-banding print (feed set at 0) is measured to be about 43.5" x 33 5/8". I.e., both are longer instead of shorter in my case.

Thank you all for the help.  I understand what the platen gap does now and will set it wider for canvas although I haven't encountered head strike.  On the banding issue and the printing size issue, as I have more printing experience I will share it here.
Pages: [1]   Go Up