Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it real  (Read 1608 times)

John R

Is it real
« on: September 30, 2009, 05:47:14 pm »

Remember that old commercial where a narrator is talking about how good a recording tape is and he says, "Is it live or Memorex?" He, of course, was trying to convey how good the recording tape was in sound fidelity. Well, of course this scene is not real. But I thought it was when I first saw it. I could not believe my good fortune when I came across these leaves in the undergrowth of a conservation area. I looked for a maple tree in the surrounding area but could not find one. I thought this is strange. As I photographed someone picked up a leaf and said they were fake! I couldn't believe it. Who would go to such trouble? It turns out they were hosting a Jonas brothers video, and you guessed it, they plunked down the leaves to do their video and left them there. They say, nothing is stranger than real life. All the same I love the photograph and the effect, it's unreal! By the way, the ferns and trees are real. You believe me, don't you...

JMR

byork

• http://
Is it real
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 10:31:13 pm »

Quote from: John R
All the same I love the photograph and the effect, it's unreal!
JMR

Yes, so do I. This is one case where saturation is beneficial.

Cheers
Brian

AndrewKulin

• http://www.andrewkulin.com
Is it real
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 11:06:40 pm »

Quote from: John R
Remember that old commercial where a narrator is talking about how good a recording tape is and he says, "Is it live or Memorex?" He, of course, was trying to convey how good the recording tape was in sound fidelity. Well, of course this scene is not real. But I thought it was when I first saw it. I could not believe my good fortune when I came across these leaves in the undergrowth of a conservation area. I looked for a maple tree in the surrounding area but could not find one. I thought this is strange. As I photographed someone picked up a leaf and said they were fake! I couldn't believe it. Who would go to such trouble? It turns out they were hosting a Jonas brothers video, and you guessed it, they plunked down the leaves to do their video and left them there. They say, nothing is stranger than real life. All the same I love the photograph and the effect, it's unreal! By the way, the ferns and trees are real. You believe me, don't you...

JMR
So are you saying these guys left a bunch of plastic leaves lying around a conservation (natural) area?  I know diddly squat about this "band" but wouldn't it be ironic if they go around preaching environmentalism to the masses?  Or would that be a juxtaposition?

Andrew
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 11:07:05 pm by AndrewKulin »
[size=12p

jasonrandolph

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterpunk
Is it real
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 11:16:16 am »

Great story, and a great photograph to accompany it.

John R

Is it real
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 10:52:34 pm »

Quote from: AndrewKulin
So are you saying these guys left a bunch of plastic leaves lying around a conservation (natural) area?  I know diddly squat about this "band" but wouldn't it be ironic if they go around preaching environmentalism to the masses?  Or would that be a juxtaposition?

Andrew
I thought of that. Perhaps they came later or the conservation staff at Rockwood (near Guelph) picked them up. It appears the staff knew about it and didn't allow anyone into the park that day. They pretended not to know who the Jonas brothers were or that anything was going on.

Thanks for the comments Brian, Andrew and Jason.

JMR
Pages: [1]   Go Up