Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 5D MkIII?  (Read 9706 times)

JessicaLuchesi

• http://www.jessicaluchesi.com
Canon 5D MkIII?
« on: September 30, 2009, 10:31:34 am »

Hi everyone,

I currently shoot with a Canon 40D, and looking for an upgrade in the future. Right now, it's time to move up the ladder and into the 5D family. If the choice was for replacing it today, I would shoot for the 5D MkII without any doubts, but right now, the 40D is enough for the magazines I shoot for. I'm planning on replacing it by next year, and considering the 5D MkII already has some time on the market, I'd hate to buy it, and a few weeks or months later, see the new and improved 5D MkIII come out.

So, here's my question, considering Canon's history on releases and upgrades, does anyone feel a Canon 5DMkIII will come out at some time during next year? Or even late this year? Any gossips going around?

Ben Rubinstein

Canon 5D MkIII?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 10:47:02 am »

The 5D was current for about 3 years. The mkII is what, less than a year old? I wouldn't hold your breath.

Hägar the horrible

• http://www.andidietrich.com
Canon 5D MkIII?
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 12:25:25 pm »

Quote from: JessicaLuchesi
So, here's my question, considering Canon's history on releases and upgrades, does anyone feel a Canon 5DMkIII will come out at some time during next year? Or even late this year? Any gossips going around?

Good idea to ask this question on an internet forum. The internet knows everything and it's always true.

image66

Canon 5D MkIII?
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 12:49:21 pm »

Quote from: John-S
Simple question, if your 40D does the work fine and no client is demanding more, then what is the motivation to upgrade?

It's new and it's shiny. Oh, and it has a bigger sensor.  Everybody knows that bigger sensors make better photographs. If we try hard enough we'll convince our clients that they need to demand that we upgrade our equipment.

Ken

fototrotter

• http://www.fototrotter.com
Canon 5D MkIII?
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 12:56:05 pm »

Why not a 7D?? This camera will prove it's worthiness over the next couple of months,... And I don't know what glas work you have, but if you shoot with EF-S lenses, there is no need to dump them,...
Learning amateur with a canon 7D, 400D. Portfolio at http://www.fototrotter.com

JessicaLuchesi

Canon 5D MkIII?
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 12:57:27 pm »

Quote from: John-S
What you will see between now and the end of next year is a new 1D IV and 1Ds IV. I don't see the 5DII being updated next year. But realize, camera releases are leaked to the public beforehand so badly that someone would have to live under a rock not to know something is on the horizon.

There is the possibility of a firmware update for the 5DII to be announced around PhotoPlus time in October. Canon will keep selling 5DII's for quite a while. It is still the top for the specific features it has for stills and video combined.

Canonrumors.com is always the place to watch.

Simple question, if your 40D does the work fine and no client is demanding more, then what is the motivation to upgrade?

Two things mostly. The first, one of my clients mentioned they'll move to a minimum resolution of 12Mp within the next six months, so, my 10Mp 40D won't cut it anymore. Other clients are slowly following. Also, for advertisement today, I have to rent, and their minimum resolution is 21Mp (so, the 5D Mk2 would work just fine ). And next year I hope to be traveling to Thailand, where I hear electronics are really cheap ( compared to Brazil, not to the US of course ). The travel date isn't set yet, but it will happen sometime next year. It isn't a travel to buy things, but I won't mind to delay the trip a month or two to be able to get a new camera.

My current revenue doesn't justify replacing the camera every time a new model comes up, and it's forcing me to become a late adopter on cameras. So, I tend to stay some years with each purchase, as I do with computers ( around 3 years replacement schedule ). Considering that, and that a 5D Mk2 right now in Brazil costs around US$5600, I would hate to "burn" a trip to Thailand, where the camera is supposedly around 1/2 what it costs here, and see the new model coming up a few months down the road after that.

Of course, nobody has a crystal ball, and I still have a few months ahead of me to reach a decision, and only people within Canon know their gameplan. But planning helps, and yeah, if a 5DMk3 only comes out on 2011+, then I'd be safe to buy the Mk2... but if I notice there's a chance the Mk3 comes out in Photokina 2010 ( around september ) then I'd push the trip further away to see. I guess if that's the case, I guess rumor mongering would start about now, with leaks starting to spring around april, and the leak of the internal photographs starting in july... at least if my memory serves me right, is what happened with the Mk2.

Also, someone mentioned in another forum that a Mk3 is more likely to come out as a result from pressure by the Nikon models, and maybe there are already rumors of a 22+Mp Nikon model coming out soon within the 5D price range.

JessicaLuchesi

Canon 5D MkIII?
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 01:00:38 pm »

Quote from: fototrotter
Why not a 7D?? This camera will prove it's worthiness over the next couple of months,... And I don't know what glas work you have, but if you shoot with EF-S lenses, there is no need to dump them,...

Thanks. The 7D still leaves me short for advertisement, and I shoot with L EF glass, only have one EF-S lens, which is the 18-55 f3.5-5.6 that came along with my old 300D, and considering my work is food/portraits, it's not a lens I use much at all. I love it, but just don't use it that much. The 7D would just replace what I do today with the 40D, but wouldn't solve all my problems. The 5D is a big leap forward, also considering price, but would put me in a more comfortable position.

JessicaLuchesi

Canon 5D MkIII?
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 01:05:46 pm »

Quote from: image66
It's new and it's shiny. Oh, and it has a bigger sensor.  Everybody knows that bigger sensors make better photographs. If we try hard enough we'll convince our clients that they need to demand that we upgrade our equipment.

Ken

Actually, mine do :|

They don't say you need to replace. They just say "We need a minimum non-interpolated print size of 45x30cm at 300dpi", or something along those lines.

pschefz

Canon 5D MkIII?
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 02:35:15 pm »

canon pulled out of photoplus so i don't think we will see or hear anything regarding a 1d or 1ds upgrade this year...those always come first with canon...tha 7d was just announced, will be a hit and there is no need for canon to update the 5DII now....it will probably come end of next year, beginning 2011.....and you might be able to get one first half of 2012.....

you can get a 5DII on ebay for 2500.....or from b&h for 2700.....either way you can ship to brazil.....or just get on a plane and pick it up in the us.....should still save you quite a bit....

schefz.com
artloch.com

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
Canon 5D MkIII?
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 03:09:15 pm »

Quote from: pschefz
canon pulled out of photoplus so i don't think we will see or hear anything regarding a 1d or 1ds upgrade this year...those always come first with canon...tha 7d was just announced, will be a hit and there is no need for canon to update the 5DII now....it will probably come end of next year, beginning 2011.....and you might be able to get one first half of 2012.....

you can get a 5DII on ebay for 2500.....or from b&h for 2700.....either way you can ship to brazil.....or just get on a plane and pick it up in the us.....should still save you quite a bit....

Actually, Canon pulled out of the PMA (Photo Marketing Association) show, not PhotoPlus Expo.
Pages: [1]   Go Up