Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: For those that sell prints...  (Read 4070 times)

mbrphoto

For those that sell prints...
« on: September 29, 2009, 09:54:01 pm »

I'm looking to upgrade my printer, currrently have an Epson 4K that's seen better days.  I think it's fair to assume that with the recent rebates and price drops on the Epson 4880 that there's a replacement in the near future.  I'm an amateur who prints for my own, and occasionally sells and the  question is, does one  buy the discounted version or wait and get the latest and greatest?  So I'm wondering, if those that sell prints for a living actually re-print for sale items when they acquire a new printer or just print new work going forward with the new hardware....

Thanks!

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 04:13:40 am »

I started with Epsons 3800 and last year purchased the Epson 7900. I am keeping the 3800 for all paper prints to 17" as I find feeding seperate sheets in the 7900 more time consuming then I like to fool with. I print almost 100% canvas with the 7900 so it always has a roll of canvas loaded.
If Epson replaces the 4880 with a 4900 and solves the high volumn ink switch I may just add one to my Gallery. The best buy right now is the 3800. It has been updated to the 3880 but you will pay full price I think close to $1500 Yes their are improvements but very subtle for $600 difference.
To answer your question I just print  new work going forward when changing printers. I have many prints not yet sold, printed on the 3800 and it would take a keen eye to look at them on the wall and pick which model it was printed with.
3800 - Great buy!
3880 - Available this fall but not sure if you get $600 more value then the 3800.
4880 - If you switch inks alot I would stay away from this model. Unless you buy it as a dedicated MK or PK printer then it is a good buy.
4900 - Not a real printer yet but probably in the works. If they fix the ink switch usage it will be Epsons best roll fed printer under the 7900.
7900 - Have one and love it. Only weakness is feeding sheets is slightly cumbersome especially if you must unload a roll of canvas everytime you want to print one sheet. Not really a big deal takes all of 30 seconds to do the switch. I am spoiled with roll printing. Just hit the print button without getting out of the chair.  
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 04:19:17 am by Dan Berg »

Gemmtech

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 10:41:27 am »

Quote from: Dan Berg
I started with Epsons 3800 and last year purchased the Epson 7900. I am keeping the 3800 for all paper prints to 17" as I find feeding seperate sheets in the 7900 more time consuming then I like to fool with. I print almost 100% canvas with the 7900 so it always has a roll of canvas loaded.
If Epson replaces the 4880 with a 4900 and solves the high volumn ink switch I may just add one to my Gallery. The best buy right now is the 3800. It has been updated to the 3880 but you will pay full price I think close to $1500 Yes their are improvements but very subtle for $600 difference.
To answer your question I just print  new work going forward when changing printers. I have many prints not yet sold, printed on the 3800 and it would take a keen eye to look at them on the wall and pick which model it was printed with.
3800 - Great buy!
3880 - Available this fall but not sure if you get $600 more value then the 3800.
4880 - If you switch inks alot I would stay away from this model. Unless you buy it as a dedicated MK or PK printer then it is a good buy.
4900 - Not a real printer yet but probably in the works. If they fix the ink switch usage it will be Epsons best roll fed printer under the 7900.
7900 - Have one and love it. Only weakness is feeding sheets is slightly cumbersome especially if you must unload a roll of canvas everytime you want to print one sheet. Not really a big deal takes all of 30 seconds to do the switch. I am spoiled with roll printing. Just hit the print button without getting out of the chair.  

Dan,  Have you been happy with your 7900?  Any problems?  Ink clogging, etc.?

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 10:48:42 am »

Quote from: mbrphoto
I'm looking to upgrade my printer, currrently have an Epson 4K that's seen better days.  I think it's fair to assume that with the recent rebates and price drops on the Epson 4880 that there's a replacement in the near future.  I'm an amateur who prints for my own, and occasionally sells and the  question is, does one  buy the discounted version or wait and get the latest and greatest?  So I'm wondering, if those that sell prints for a living actually re-print for sale items when they acquire a new printer or just print new work going forward with the new hardware....

Thanks!

The 4880 is a terrific printer and I can't imagine that the next generation will offer anything more than incremental improvements. With the good prices available now, it's a bargain. If you would be switching between the 2 blank inks a lot, however, you might want to look elsewhere. Most people, myself included, print only when an order comes in, so the question of reprinting does not come up.

Peter

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 11:49:08 am »

Gemmtech.
I had problems the first month (Dec.) with what I will call excessive cleaning. Epson came out replaced seveal parts did the new firmware update and it has been good ever since. I only print with it about once a week and no clogs.

mbrphoto

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 09:27:50 pm »

Thanks for the input!

enduser

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 03:15:24 am »

You might want to wait for this. 24" now but sure to go to bigger sizes.

World's first aqueous printer to include white ink       
Tuesday, 29 September 2009

Epson has launched the 61cm Stylus Pro WT7900 printer which features white aqueous ink.

The printer is designed specifically for packaging proof applications. It features sophisticated colour management and control, wide gamut reproduction and precision printing on a variety of flexible film, paper and metallic media. The WT7900 will made its first appearance at Labelexpo in Brussels last week.

The printer uses a 9-colour Epson UltraChrome HDR (High Dynamic Range) ink set to produce a wide colour gamut and accurate spot colours. To deliver the high density white tints and accurate overlays important for packaging proof applications Epson has developed a water-based white ink specifically for this printer.

The optional Epson Spectroproofer gives Epson Stylus Pro WT7900 users automatic and precise colour management and control for reliable and consistent proof verification, colour calibration, colour certification, profile creation, spot colour matching, colour shift tracking and target measurement, according to the company.

A colour certification label, such as the Fogra wedge, can be printed to support the certification process.

These features enable users to integrate the Epson Stylus Pro WT7900 into their production workflows, onsite and over a network of remote locations if required.

Epson's Micropiezo thin-film-piezo (TFP) printhead delivers spherical dots with high-precision dot placement and can deliver resolutions up to 2,880dpi.

Throughput results in a maximum speed of up to 40m2 per hour in standard mode.

Epson Stylus Pro WT7900 key features summary:.

Advanced Epson MicroPiezo TFP˙ print head
      9-colour Epson UltraChrome HDR ink set plus 2 cleaning cartridges
      Optional Epson SpectroProofer˙ It is available with or without a UV-cut filter as well as changeable black or white backing.
      Epson‚s new LUT technology optimises colour reproduction by auto RGB-CMYK translation
      High capacity pressurised ink cartridges
      Prints on roll or cut-sheet media from 8" x 10" up to 24" wide and 1.5mm thickness with media barcode reading / printing for extra control
      New flange-type, spindle-less roll holder for fast and easy media change-over
      Built-in rotary media cutter enables fast, automatic, accurate media cutting
      Large 2.5" LCD control panel makes it easy to check printer information

chilehead

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 11:25:14 am »

FYI:  The WT7900 is aimed toward the packaging industry (think cereal boxes) for proofing and should be about 2.5x the cost of the "regular" 7900.

Mark

jasonrandolph

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterpunk
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 12:02:41 pm »

Don't bother waiting for the latest and greatest.  Any pro printer on the market these days is top notch.  If you hold out for the printer-to-end-all-printers, you'll never buy one.  I use a 3800 that I bought less than a year ago, and it's putting out outstanding work.  While I would've loved to get a 4880 for the price it's being offered at today, I would've lost out on quite a few exhibitions and print sales.  I'd say the 4880 with the rebate is your best bet.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 12:02:53 pm by jasonrandolph »

enduser

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 02:22:46 am »

Yes, I am aware of the specific uses of the WT7900, but its the development of white ink which is the news, I think.

I don't know how many times on forums I've heard the question, "Can you get white ink for ,,,,"   For any media in a fine art world that's not white itself, a white ink would have its uses.  It seems from the specs that the WT7900 uses normal Epson inks, so a white would be compatible perhaps with the current range of wide format photoprinters that people here use.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 03:38:50 am »

Quote from: jasonrandolph
Don't bother waiting for the latest and greatest.  Any pro printer on the market these days is top notch.  If you hold out for the printer-to-end-all-printers, you'll never buy one.  I use a 3800 that I bought less than a year ago, and it's putting out outstanding work.
I agree entirely. If my abilities as a photographer were anywhere close to the 3800's abilities as a printer, I'd be a happy man.

Jeremy
Pages: [1]   Go Up