Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tucson landscape locations?  (Read 3286 times)

jnmoore

Tucson landscape locations?
« on: September 29, 2009, 05:35:01 pm »

I'm spending 5 days next week in Tucson. Any special places for photography within a few hours drive that I should't miss? I know about the Desert Museum and the photo collection at the university.

Thanks,

John

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 06:41:06 pm »

Quote from: jnmoore
I'm spending 5 days next week in Tucson. Any special places for photography within a few hours drive that I should't miss? I know about the Desert Museum and the photo collection at the university.

Thanks,

John

Not meaning to state the obvious, but Saguaro National Park is minutes away.

Also, there is an airplane graveyard nearby I wanted to visit when I was there, but didn't make it.  Not sure if it is by tour only or if you can wander around on your own.

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 06:41:19 pm »

You can't miss Saguaro National Park, just outside Tucson.  There are two sections, one east of town and one west, but it's been a number of years since I've been there so I don't remember which parts are best.

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

francois

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 10:12:43 pm »

Quote from: Wayne Fox
Not meaning to state the obvious, but Saguaro National Park is minutes away.

Also, there is an airplane graveyard nearby I wanted to visit when I was there, but didn't make it.  Not sure if it is by tour only or if you can wander around on your own.
I don't know if you can visit the "graveyard" but the Pima Air & Space museum is open and you can visit with a tour or you can spend the day on your own.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 10:22:47 pm by francois »
Francois

francois

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 10:17:21 pm »

Quote from: jnmoore

Thanks,

John
John,
If you have a car and some time, the Spanish Mission of San Xavier Del Baq ( http://www.sanxaviermission.org/ ) is worth visiting. I haven't been there this year but last year scafolding was still on a portion of the mission. Early morning or late afternoon is fine.

If you visit the Desert Museum, try to go early. Light is better and animals are a bit more active than later in the day.
When you visit to the Desert Museum, you'll drive through Gates pass which is a nice place for sunset if the sky is interesting.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 10:22:27 pm by francois »
Francois

jnmoore

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 10:40:50 pm »

Thanks everyone. I appreciate very much your suggestions. Pouring over the maps now and looking for a plan ....

John

hazard

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 09:51:27 am »

Regarding the "graveyard", the PIMA Air and Space Museum have bus tours on weekdays af the AMARC section of the Airforce Base. No walking around, and only one small hand luggage allowed (ie a P&S camera).

/Andreas

Tucson Jim

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 05:58:25 pm »

The scaffolding is down at the San Xavier Mission at the moment.  Additional restoration work is on hold pending additional fund raising.  

Chiricahua N.M. is a 2 1/2 hr drive SE of Tucson.  There are nice hiking trails and scenic viewpoints in the  "Wonderland of Rocks" that feature excellent landscape opportunities.  If you get up early, you can catch the 8:30 am Hiker's Shuttle at the visitor center and take the 4 mile Echo Canyon/Rhyolite Canyon trail down to the visitor center.

The Apache Trail from Apache Junction to Roosevelt Lake Dam is a nice day trip from Tucson offering views of the Salt River, Canyon, Apache, & Roosevelt Lakes; the Superstition Mountains, Tortilla Flats etc.

If you are visiting the Desert Museum anyway, a stop by the Old Tucson movie location may be interesting if you are into Western movies and TV Series.  Gates Pass is definitely the place to be for sunsets and moonrises,

Not far from Saguaro NP East is Colossal Cave and about 45 minutes East of Tucson is  Kartchner Caverns State Park.  

Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up