Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Michael Reismann's Mirror Lock-up Button Request  (Read 2021 times)

davewa

Michael Reismann's Mirror Lock-up Button Request
« on: September 29, 2009, 11:15:59 am »

(Typo in title -- sorry, Mike!    )

Mike just reviewed the 7D and as usual whined about the camera needing a dedicated MLU button.  As somebody who shoots with a long focal length lens in poor light (including a telescope at night), I can feel his pain.

But there's another way to implement what we want, I think.  And this is more erganomical (is that a word?) and wouldn't require yet another button on an already button-studded body.

Maybe I'm generalizing from my own shooting style, but in my case whenever I'm shooting in situations where MLU is an issue, I'm also using a remote shutter release.  So why can't the camera detect the presence of an RSR and *automatically* activate MLU (okay -- make this a menu feature for cases where RSR should not imply MLU, though I can't think of any).

As an electrical engineer, I know that the miniature audio jack that Canon's RS60 remote shutter release can be purchased with a switch contact to provide a "plug inserted" signal.  Certainly other types of connectors could be customized to support the feature.  From there it is, as they say, a simple matter of software to provide automatic MLU when you have the RSR plugged in.

Comments?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 12:55:42 pm by davewa »

DarkPenguin

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 12:22:19 pm »

If you are referring to the review on this site it was done by Michael Reichmann not Michael Reismann.

As to your idea it doesn't seem unreasonable.

davewa

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 12:56:18 pm »

Quote from: DarkPenguin
If you are referring to the review on this site it was done by Michael Reichmann not Michael Reismann.

As to your idea it doesn't seem unreasonable.
Yes, Reichmann -- my brain slipped.

douglasf13

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 01:11:48 pm »

Interesting idea.  What Canon could also do is just add mirror lock-up as an option for the drive mode button, like Sony does with the A700/850/900.

Quote from: davewa
(Typo in title -- sorry, Mike!    )

Mike just reviewed the 7D and as usual whined about the camera needing a dedicated MLU button.  As somebody who shoots with a long focal length lens in poor light (including a telescope at night), I can feel his pain.

But there's another way to implement what we want, I think.  And this is more erganomical (is that a word?) and wouldn't require yet another button on an already button-studded body.

Maybe I'm generalizing from my own shooting style, but in my case whenever I'm shooting in situations where MLU is an issue, I'm also using a remote shutter release.  So why can't the camera detect the presence of an RSR and *automatically* activate MLU (okay -- make this a menu feature for cases where RSR should not imply MLU, though I can't think of any).

As an electrical engineer, I know that the miniature audio jack that Canon's RS60 remote shutter release can be purchased with a switch contact to provide a "plug inserted" signal.  Certainly other types of connectors could be customized to support the feature.  From there it is, as they say, a simple matter of software to provide automatic MLU when you have the RSR plugged in.

Comments?
Pages: [1]   Go Up