Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Paris Walk  (Read 1622 times)

John Camp

Paris Walk
« on: September 28, 2009, 06:25:52 pm »

So is the GF1 the new Leica? I've got one coming in the mail, this week I hope, and I'd enjoy even an anecdotal report...

JC

michael

Paris Walk
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 06:33:33 pm »

So read my field report.

Michael

John Camp

Paris Walk
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 08:03:34 pm »

Michael--

Thanks. I don't think that was up yet when I saw the photo...or maybe I just missed it.

I have the G1, and liked it so much that I bought an E-P1, thinking to use it as a backup. Then, I didn't like the E-P1 as much as I thought I would, for some of the reasons you mentioned, but primarily because of the lack of a viewfinder. I have, however, developed my E-P1 technique a bit, and no longer hold it at arms-length. Instead, I brace both elbows against my ribcage and look directly over the top of the camera at the target. Then, when I drop my eyes to the LCD screen, I've usually got the picture fairly well framed, make the last adjustment, and shoot. It actually helps that I wear bi-focals -- but having to take your eye off the target, to refocus on the LCD screen, does NOT help. So, I ordered the GF-1. I think the G1 and GF-1 will work well together; though I sort of wish that the Panasonic people had decided to go with just a bit more size, and had included that twistable LCD on the GF-1. I've gotten to *really* like that thing, especially for street photography.

A long time ago, IIRC, you published some comparisons of 6mp DSLRs (perhaps a D1x?) with film, and concluded that a 6mp sensor was actually somewhat better than 35mm film. This was controversial at the time, and perhaps still is, but I thought you made a good case. I think the m4/3 are also better in most ways than film, which means that the G1s can be, I think, legitimately be compared to early Leicas -- small, handy, transportable, perhaps not as good in resolution as the top end DSLRs (just as the early Leicas were not as good at the top end 4x5s), but the *camera size* is the critical issue. The images are good enough even for most commercial uses, if not generally for art photography or upscale fashion work.

JC
Pages: [1]   Go Up