Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Preparing images for output from a laser printer  (Read 1476 times)

graeme

Preparing images for output from a laser printer
« on: September 28, 2009, 03:32:55 pm »

I have some work to do for a local firm which will involve printing out promotional materials ( images, text and graphics ) on their laser printer ( a Konica Minolta Magicolor 7300 ).

I'm reasonably competent at prepping images for inkjet output ( thanks to 'From Camera to Print' ) but wondered if there were any sharpening settings, color spaces or resolutions that were particularly apprpriate to laser output.

I'm not asking to be spoonfed info here but some general suggestions re books / websites would be welcome.

And yes, at the moment I am RTFMing.

Cheers

Graeme

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
Preparing images for output from a laser printer
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 11:14:10 am »

Hi Graeme,

We've used production color lasers for proofing large catalogs, etc. for years. At one time we owned a Konica Minolta color laser, and now have a Ricoh. Prepping your image is very similar to prepping it for half-tone/offset printing. It's been a while since we had the Konica Minolta, but if I remember correctly, it uses more of a stochastic screen rather than a traditional rosette to print it's highest "photo quality". (Check with a loupe.) Since most of the best lasers use Postscript, you are best saving the work images in CMYK, rather than RGB. Also, make sure you have an ICC profile for your printer loaded on your computer. Otherwise, printing is very similar to working with an inkjet -- be careful not to work with "double profiles". In other words, make sure only Photoshop (or InDesign) is controlling color management OR that it's ON in your printer and OFF in the application.

Sharpening is a little trickier. Because the line screen is lower than that of an inkjet (usually between 120 lpi and about 144 lpi), you need a little more sharpening than you would apply to an inkjet print. Personally, I've used Nik Sharpener since V. 1 many years ago, and am fairly happy with it's results. Otherwise, a starting point in Photoshop USM is Amount: 200, Radius: 1.5 - 2, Threshold: 5. A lot depends upon the size of the image you output and the details within.

A final factor is the paper you will print on. Not knowing precisely what you are doing, I would use a semi-gloss sheet for laser printing. Though it's not made for lasers, I experimented with the Mitsubishi Diamond Jet dual-sided semi-gloss I bought from Inkjet Art, and had very good results. Also, Lexjet has some commercial papers for laser available, including a heavier weight glossy card stock. Until recently, I couldn't really create a profile for my Ricoh. However, with the latest drivers, I can with Eye-One. If you look for commercially available printer profiles for lasers from paper manufacturers, give up, or have one made for you. That said, the "canned' profile I have within my Ricoh ICC profiles for "plain" and "glossy", are actually pretty accurate wit the right papers.

Hope this heads you in the right direction.

Nemo
Pages: [1]   Go Up