Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cumberland Island  (Read 2815 times)

contax35

• www.pbase.com/skyfriend
Cumberland Island
« on: June 12, 2004, 01:02:46 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']It has been about 22 years ago that I visited there with my father (who died a year ago yesterday) in November.  We came over on the afternoon ferry and returned 24 hours later (at that time, at least, there was a morning and afternoon ferry).  It was raining so only a couple of other people came with us, although it had been booked solid.  It cleared up overnight, though, leaving the island mostly to ourselves.  Particularly funny, though not at the time, was the fact that my father was claustrophobic and kept waking me up all night sticking his head out the tent flap! It was great having the beach to ourselves, with no one as far as the eye could see.  Beaches do not tend to inspire me much photographically, but here are some ideas.  There were wild horses, various birds, and alligators on the island.  It might be fun to try to photograph the ghost crabs on the beach at night (with manual focus, Kodachrome 25, and primitive manual flash at the time, we contented ourselves with merely hunting for them by flashlight).  The ruins of Revolutionary War General Nathaniel Greene's mansion is on the south part of the island.  Robert E. Lee's father is buried in the graveyard (he was escaping from creditors at the time).  You used to have to call at the first of the month for reservations the next month.  There is, no doubt, some more efficient way to reserve a place online by now.  Sorry I cannot give you any more recent experience.

Best of luck![/font]

jackperk

Cumberland Island
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2004, 11:57:53 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']Has anyone ever visited Cumberland Island off Georgia? Would love to have photography iddeas if you have.

jp[/font]
Pages: [1]   Go Up