Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: H4D and Phocus  (Read 7977 times)

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
H4D and Phocus
« on: September 28, 2009, 12:21:08 pm »

Have I missed something somewhere, I've been to the Hassy site and details are very scant on either Phocus 2 or the H4D. Not that I'm in the market for one, just curious. How does Phocus work like Aperture, does it have DAM capabilities, any advancement on MF high iso etc?

Kevin.
Kevin.

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
H4D and Phocus
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 03:46:38 pm »

Quote from: KevinA
Have I missed something somewhere, I've been to the Hassy site and details are very scant on either Phocus 2 or the H4D. Not that I'm in the market for one, just curious. How does Phocus work like Aperture, does it have DAM capabilities, any advancement on MF high iso etc?

Kevin.

Kevin following today's news you may wish to explore the new 645DF option...1/4000th may become handy for your type of work...
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

Nick-T

H4D and Phocus
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 04:39:43 pm »

Quote from: yaya
Kevin following today's news you may wish to explore the new 645DF option...1/4000th may become handy for your type of work...
Hey Yair
This is a Hasselblad topic... You don't see them trying to sell Leaf I mean Phase on Phase threads do ya?

Nick-T
[url=http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.c

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
H4D and Phocus
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 06:12:12 pm »

Fair point...guess I'm a bit rusty...
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
H4D and Phocus
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 09:23:26 am »

Quote from: yaya

Hi,
The more I think about it the better the 35mm systems fit what I do.I have done two night flights recently and talk of another, not something I would fancy with any MF as they stand. The new Canon 24 mm f1;4 helps there also. I was not only shooting after Sunset but 360 overlapping for stitching. The amount of wide and tele I shoot would not happen with MF. The trouble is the years of being a photographer means I can't leave the concept of MF alone (I never shot 35mm film for paying clients), not sure there is any financial or output advantage in MF for me, more self esteem and bragging wrights to be taken more seriously, probably the reason most MF systems are sold.
I found the Hassy page announcing the new products very odd for what it left out, just talk of the focus lock thing.

Kevin.
Kevin.

Paul_Claesson_HasselbladUS

• http://www.hasselbladusa.com
H4D and Phocus
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 09:26:48 am »

Kevin

You may wish to check out some these inks.

Hasselblad True Focus and APL.

To download the Phocus software for free, Register on www.hasselbladusa.com here.
There are also Raw files available here.

Phocus does have a similar look and feel of Lightroom and Aperture and is quite intuitive and easy to use. Does it have DAM capabilities? Yes in the fact that you can move and/or copy files to any location via the browser, you can drag and drop thumbnails in the browser and tag  them green, yellow or green (IAA), You can hide images, as an example just show your green tags or green and yellow tags, you can remove any individual or all badges on the images (Crop, Name, Approval, Badges).

Hasselblad includes Extensive IPTC Core data and IPTC Keywords, Coordinates from GPS device, all metadata from from camera that will be embedded in the Raw file.

Paul

Kevin.
Paul Claesson
Technical Support Manager
Hasselblad Hasselblad Bron Inc.
support@hasselbladbron.com or
pclaesson@hasselbladbron.com
800-367-6434 x303

The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of Hasselblad.

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
H4D and Phocus
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 09:50:51 am »

Quote from: Paul_Claesson_HasselbladUS
Kevin

To download the Phocus software for free, Register on www.hasselbladusa.com here.

Phocus does have a similar look and feel of Lightroom and Aperture and is quite intuitive and easy to use. Does it have DAM capabilities? Yes in the fact that you can move and/or copy files to any location via the browser, you can drag and drop thumbnails in the browser and tag  them green, yellow or green (IAA), You can hide images, as an example just show your green tags or green and yellow tags, you can remove any individual or all badges on the images (Crop, Name, Approval, Badges).

Hasselblad includes Extensive IPTC Core data and IPTC Keywords, Coordinates from GPS device, all metadata from from camera that will be embedded in the Raw file.

Paul

Thanks Paul,
Phocus looks to be such an integral part of the Hasselblad system it is something you would not want to be without, for me though if I was going to use the Hasselblad system (I have no plans to do so) it would need real DAM capabilities, something that always gets overlooked when comparing Aperture with other RAW converters. Apertures ability to organise images clients and output is second to non. Does Phocus have a selection of search facilities or anything like versions, smart folders to auto organise into categories, watermarking, emailing, backup system etc? or is it just a RAW converter.

Kevin.
Kevin.

jecxz

• http://www.jecxz.com
H4D and Phocus
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 10:43:58 am »

Thanks Paul,
Phocus looks to be such an integral part of the Hasselblad system it is something you would not want to be without, for me though if I was going to use the Hasselblad system (I have no plans to do so) it would need real DAM capabilities, something that always gets overlooked when comparing Aperture with other RAW converters. Apertures ability to organise images clients and output is second to non. Does Phocus have a selection of search facilities or anything like versions, smart folders to auto organise into categories, watermarking, emailing, backup system etc? or is it just a RAW converter.

Kevin.
Kevin,

Phocus is not a (DAM) Digital Asset Management program, you'll need to export to TIF or DNG and then move the file into Aperture or Lightroom. But I would not make this factor a major part of your decision, the H system produces top quality results and I'd suggest looking at the overall picture of what you get from the entire system. If your business can support the purchase and the move to MF, do it. You will be very satisfied. Good luck.

Kind regards,
Derek Jecxz
http://www.jecxz.com

pcunite

H4D and Phocus
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 12:01:15 pm »

Hi,
The more I think about it the better the 35mm systems fit what I do. ... ... I can't leave the concept of MF alone (I never shot 35mm film for paying clients), not sure there is any financial or output advantage in MF for me, more self esteem and bragging wrights to be taken more seriously, probably the reason most MF systems are sold.

Same thing here. Customers are simply not caring what I use, I do of course. In the end 35mm is so much easier to use in practice, doesn't matter if someone knocks the camera to the ground (all 35mm come with built in insurance, since you did not spend $30K you could buy 5 of 'em), ISO 100 does not require as powerful lights shooting inside depending on the DOF you want, and on and on it goes...

I think that just plain earth physics is what makes MFD the problem child that it is. Yes MFD is undeniably better, but is this needed? Why should I do the investing in MFD companies so that they can play catch up to 35mm when customers are not making me? So that my forum buddies will not laugh at my 100% crops?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 12:03:48 pm by pcunite »

gdwhalen

• http://www.gdwhalen.com
H4D and Phocus
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 12:12:02 pm »

Kevin

Paul

Paul,
  That link doesn't work and besides, all I see on the Hasselblad site is the ability to download 1.2.1.  Where is 2.0?

H4D and Phocus
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 01:27:22 pm »

Quote from: gdwhalen
Paul,
  That link doesn't work and besides, all I see on the Hasselblad site is the ability to download 1.2.1.  Where is 2.0?

Phocus 1.2.1 is the current software.
2.0 is in beta at this time and if all runs smoothly we may see a release late next month.

Paul Claesson
800-367-6434 x303

The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of Hasselblad.

gdwhalen

H4D and Phocus
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2009, 06:52:17 pm »

Phocus 1.2.1 is the current software.
2.0 is in beta at this time and if all runs smoothly we may see a release late next month.

Paul, you have announced this product and its attributes but you aren't sure that it runs smoothly?   Announcing something that doesn't exist or that you aren't sure works seems a tad premature to me....but I guess that is the computer/programming world these days.  Hopefully, it lives up to it's advanced billing as I do like Lightroom and C1.  Keep at it.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 10:33:32 pm by gdwhalen »

bradleygibson

• http://GibsonPhotographic.com
H4D and Phocus
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2009, 09:16:29 pm »

Paul, you have announced this product and its attributes but you aren't sure that it runs smoothly???????  Is it a dream, or a reality?  Announcing something that doesn't exist or that you aren't sure works seems a tad premature to me....

Wow...  Paul answers a question and is criticized for his answer--this seems rather harsh to me.

The way I read it is Paul was referring to the smooth release of the product (a non-trivial exercise).  Even if he were referring to the stability of the software, the word beta indicates that it is near completion but not yet finished.

Of course, in either case, unforseen surprises may arise before release--I don't think this should be news to anyone.  Paul has simply provided Hasselblad's best estimate at this time, nothing more, nothing less.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 09:19:17 pm by bradleygibson »
-Brad
 [url=http://GibsonPhotographic.com

H4D and Phocus
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 09:08:01 am »

Paul, you have announced this product and its attributes but you aren't sure that it runs smoothly?   Announcing something that doesn't exist or that you aren't sure works seems a tad premature to me....but I guess that is the computer/programming world these days.  Hopefully, it lives up to it's advanced billing as I do like Lightroom and C1.  Keep at it.

gd, my statement "2.0 is in beta at this time and if all runs smoothly we may see a release late next month."  seemed pretty straightforward to me when I wrote it, I did in fact reread prior to pressing Reply.

I will break this down in order to clarify:
"2.0 " 2.0 is the new intended release version of Hasselblad's Phocus software.

Beta - Excerpt from Merriam Webster dictionary 4: a nearly complete prototype of a product (as software) <released in beta> <the beta version>
In Hasselblad's case we have internal releases (in this case 2.0) which is tested by employees and a select group of users (Photographers) who use the software in everyday work and offer valuable input in terms of bugs or issues which need to be addressed prior to a final release.

Smoothly - I was referring the beta testing process, we try to test the software as thoroughly as possible, in some cases an issues can arise which causes a delay in completion and release of the final software version.

"Announcing something that doesn't exist or that you aren't sure works" Phocus 2.0 does exist in an internal beta version and it does work.

Paul Claesson
Paul Claesson
800-367-6434 x303

H4D and Phocus
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2009, 09:11:47 am »

Quote from: bradleygibson
Wow...  Paul answers a question and is criticized for his answer--this seems rather harsh to me.

The way I read it is Paul was referring to the smooth release of the product (a non-trivial exercise).  Even if he were referring to the stability of the software, the word beta indicates that it is near completion but not yet finished.

Of course, in either case, unforseen surprises may arise before release--I don't think this should be news to anyone.  Paul has simply provided Hasselblad's best estimate at this time, nothing more, nothing less.

Bradley,

Thank you. The reception I receive on this forum is different then what i experience at GetDPI or Hasselbladinfo etc.
I do hope that some of the readers find some value in the information that I or David provide.

Paul Claesson
Paul Claesson
800-367-6434 x303

gdwhalen

H4D and Phocus
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2009, 09:19:09 am »

Bradley,

Thank you. The reception I receive on this forum is different then what i experience at GetDPI or Hasselbladinfo etc.
I do hope that some of the readers find some value in the information that I or David provide.

Paul Claesson

Paul, my statement wasn't based on your post as much as it was based on the history of Hasselblad's other "upcoming" statements.  The H3d - 60 never made it to market. You may have come up with something better (H4d) but months ago - those statements were "going to happen" and never did.  The live view for the 50 never made it to market.  You have to admit this.  That doesn't mean that Phocus 2 won't but it does mean that saying something and doing something are two different things.

Jeff-Grant

• http://www.jeff-grant.com
H4D and Phocus
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2009, 10:42:44 am »

Bradley,

Paul Claesson

Paul,

Quite frankly, I don't know why you and David bother posting here. Whatever you say always gets misinterpreted at best, and more often distorted. Your original post was pretty innocuous from my perspective.

I have long ago learnt that there are far better places to get Hasselblad info than here. This is a great site for anything but Hasselblad which I see as a great pity.

Cheers,

Jeff
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 10:51:07 am by Jeff-Grant »
Cheers,
 Jeff  www.jeff-grant.com

Richard Morwood

H4D and Phocus
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2009, 04:13:22 pm »

Bradley,

Paul Claesson

Hi Paul
I have to agree with Jeff and Brad and wonder just how long both David and yourself will continue to post here given the aggressive and accusatory nature of posts you both receive. I could very easily understand you ceasing to contribute and I for one would very much miss it.
I have learned a enormous amount from this website on all things photographic and this section in particular. I do not earn my living from photography and do not feel I have useful information to contribute to an incredibly knowledgeable audience, hence my low number of posts. (I think that makes me a 'lurker'?).  However it never ceases to amaze me the reception that Hasselblad gets. Ok it isn't the most 'pro-Hasselblad' site but it seems so 'anti-Hasselblad' at times.
I may be wrong but I can't think of a Nikon/Canon/Phase/Leica/Sony..... representative who puts themselves in the firing line here like you do and I think you should be applauded for that and not constantly criticised or misinterpreted.
I do shoot with a Hasselblad (H3D39), I don't agree with everything you (as a Company) do and I don't really like your advertising. There are lots of small issues that irritate me about the H system and there are many thing that I absolutely love about it. However I think James R Russell has the right approach in actually giving the message to the messenger rather than shooting the messenger altogether.
So please continue to contribute because I for one really appreciate it.
Regards
Richard

gdwhalen

H4D and Phocus
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2009, 04:34:03 pm »

Oh pllllleeeassse.   Waitresses making $10 p/hr take much more criticism than this.  Gentlemen, this is a $25,000 - $40,000 camera body.  That is as much as a car.  I'm pretty sure Paul has a thick enough skin to deal with suggestions, criticism's and mistakes.  When you are selling a camera body for that much money the customer expects things to work right and information to be accurate.  At least, I do.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 04:45:32 pm by gdwhalen »

jecxz

• http://www.jecxz.com
H4D and Phocus
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2009, 05:25:01 pm »

Very similar to my post in the other H4D thread about the rampant negativity towards Hasselblad. I agree with Richard, Jeff (hey Jeff) and Brad. Plus I have worked with Paul and David and they're both great guys. Too bad that they have to put up with the crap here.

FYI: Many companies announce products before they are released or that are in development, including Adobe, Apple, Microsoft and this site's darling boy PhaseOne, who just announced they're getting some lenses now.

Anyone interested in a great Hasselblad support forum, take a look at http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.com - There are no drama mommas there.

Kind regards,
Derek Jecxz
http://www.jecxz.com
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up