Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Schneider is to provide lenses to Phaseone 645  (Read 39525 times)

rolleiflexpages

• http://www.rolleiflexpages.com
Schneider is to provide lenses to Phaseone 645
« Reply #80 on: January 03, 2010, 11:04:38 am »

Quote from: Mr. Rib
I thought the latest supported back is phase one p20 (db20p)

The Rollei DB20p was an OEM'd PhaseOne P20, specifically made for Rollei in a 6008 AF mount. But the later PhaseOne backs can be ordered with a Rollei 6008 AF mount through the dealer, so I was informed by Franke & Heidecke and PhaseOne. Some information is also on my web pages.

Good luck.
Pascal
Pascal Heyman - www.rolleiflexpages.com

Mr. Rib

« Reply #81 on: January 03, 2010, 11:11:27 am »

Well, it's too late now as I already made my investment and my next step will be P65. I definitely can live with RZ, although from time to time some 6008 features like higher shutter speed of PQS lenses would be nice. Anyway, thanks for the information.

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #82 on: January 03, 2010, 01:46:03 pm »

Quote from: rolleiflexpages
It is possible to order PhaseOne backs in a mount for Rolleiflex 6008 AF (not Hy6) through the dealer.

I've checked into this a number of times recently and the best I can say to anyone interested would be that currently this is not an option, and the future remains murky.

Steve Hendrix
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

rolleiflexpages

• http://www.rolleiflexpages.com
« Reply #83 on: January 03, 2010, 02:04:19 pm »

Quote from: Steve Hendrix
I've checked into this a number of times recently and the best I can say to anyone interested would be that currently this is not an option, and the future remains murky.

Steve Hendrix

Hi Steve, I guess you are referring to Hy6 compatibility for PhaseOne backs, which is currently non-existing, rather than to the 6008 AF compatibility, which has been acknowledged by PhaseOne?
Pascal Heyman - www.rolleiflexpages.com

Steve Hendrix

« Reply #84 on: January 03, 2010, 09:08:56 pm »

Hi Steve, I guess you are referring to Hy6 compatibility for PhaseOne backs, which is currently non-existing, rather than to the 6008 AF compatibility, which has been acknowledged by PhaseOne?

Unfortunately I was referring to the Rollei compatability. In the USA at least, there is currently no option for Rollei mount with Phase One. Previously you could order a Rollei mount for an additional $3,000. Perhaps at some point this will be re-visited, but I think it will depend largely on the future of Rollei.

Steve Hendrix

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #85 on: January 03, 2010, 09:43:19 pm »

Steve,
Rollei Metric which was unaffected by the F&H insolvency still offers this conversion.  In fact they can do a conversion with a used back even so long as its in the Hasselblad V mount.  While this may not be offered through your channels, its still available.  People that want a phase back and real schneider lenses right now and not just promised for the future can have that if they like - though apparently not through CI.

Eric

Steve Hendrix
Rolleiflex USA

Steve Hendrix

« Reply #86 on: January 03, 2010, 09:49:37 pm »

Quote from: EricWHiss
Steve,
Rollei Metric which was unaffected by the F&H insolvency still offers this conversion.  In fact they can do a conversion with a used back even so long as its in the Hasselblad V mount.  While this may not be offered through your channels, its still available.  People that want a phase back and real schneider lenses right now and not just promised for the future can have that if they like - though apparently not through CI.

Eric

Eric

There is no USA-compatible channel that CI would not have access to.

My query was through Phase One USA distribution. Perhaps, as you've indicated, a different channel would be able to accomplish this. Worth looking into.

Steve Hendrix

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #87 on: January 03, 2010, 10:43:01 pm »

Eric

There is no USA-compatible channel that CI would not have access to.

My query was through Phase One USA distribution. Perhaps, as you've indicated, a different channel would be able to accomplish this. Worth looking into.

Steve Hendrix

I've been told by other US based Phase dealers that they can still facilitate this conversion as recently as November so who knows maybe they are going abroad?   In any case I've e-mailed with Rollei Metric directly only just a little while ago so I know this should still possible for whomever might be interested.

Back to the topic - can you tell us about the new scheider lenses for the phase/mamiya camera.  Which ones are available now and who designed them and who is making them?   The sample images I saw on the GetDPI forum taken with the 80mm did not impress me, but that might have been just those shots or the conversion to jpeg, but I haven't seen any others posted. When I saw those sample images, I thought to myself that I've got an older Mamiya 80mm f/1.9 that I think could be more interesting lens than the new offering actually.  And Actually if you want to get down to it from what I've seen,  the Schneider Xenotar in both f/2.8 and f/2.0 flavors for Rollei mount are very impressive both in sharpness, lack of distortion and also in the OOF rendering plus it covers 6x6.    

Eric
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 01:47:50 am by EricWHiss »
Rolleiflex USA

Steve Hendrix

« Reply #88 on: January 03, 2010, 10:45:20 pm »

Okay but I've been told by other US based Phase dealers that they can still facilitate this conversion as recently as November.  Not saying you're wrong but this is what I've been told by other dealers. In any case I've e-mailed with Rollei Metric directly only just a little while ago.

Eric

I'll look into it Eric.

Steve Hendrix

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #89 on: January 04, 2010, 01:21:10 am »

Quote from: bcooter
Denis,

Take this in a positive way, but this is the $64,000 question, or should I say the $52,000 question;

Are you going to purchase a P65+, new Phase Body and three new lenses?

I ask this because these forums always light up with the _______ is the best in the world, or the best skin tones, or the whatever, but 95% of those people posting are using 22mpx backs hooked to older used cameras and many of those people are shooting their real pressured projects with a 5d2 or a D3x or some kind of dslr.  

Want, need and buy seem to be in three seperate catagories.

Had the same people that raved about the HY6 went out that day and bought one, they would probably still be in business.

You and your partner do a lot of work in post, in fact I think that is part of your style, so at the end of the day, shooting a 22, 31, 39, or 60mpx back do you really see any difference after you've gone through 12 stages of post work and client corrections and if you do, are you going to write that $52,000 check?

Thx.

BC

I can agree with much of this post.  I follow and keep a close ear to things in the pipeline to see when some new technology makes some serious break through(like in DSLR more recently), and honestly, with some modifications to the existing tech, its all resolution and convenience mods for MF. A new camera body/system is sure not going to get me to buy an entire system.

I see it this way...

The S2 does look nice, and I think it comes close to playing both hats well, but there is always something missed when you try and make a hybrid system....
 For what the S2 would be used for PRIMARLY (as I know there are a number of users who need it), you can do the DSLR route, but for the specific studio shooter, you DO need a MF larger sensor, but NOT the stiff body.

What you are left with are the FEW that can actually benefit from such a hybrid, and the few that can chase technology at the bleeding edge in search of the silver bullet picture machine.  These last 2 come at a price, AND a new lens system.  

With DSLR's getting better (sorry, I know this has been beat to a pulp), and when one of these manufacturers find the balls/tech-knowhow to make a DSLR with REMOVABLE AA filter, there will be some very serious shake-ups for a NUMBER of markets needing MF.  No NOTall, but a significant amount.  And that first manufacturer will get my $ for their system before I upgrade my MFDB.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

AlDoori

« Reply #90 on: January 04, 2010, 02:51:50 pm »

... It seems more PR-branding not unlike the "Zeiss" for Sony and "Leica" for Panasonic, I am afraid.
i did not see any "Schneider-Kreuznach" branded lenses for the Mamiya 645 DF.
now there seem to be "Mamiya Sekor" leaf shutter lenses of 55, 80 and 110 mm.

it might take a while before we see a Xenotar or a Super-Angulon for Phamiya

the question is: what is a PhaseOne claimed Mamiya lens "certified" by Schneider?

philipmccormick

• http://www.pmccormickphoto.com
« Reply #91 on: February 01, 2010, 04:03:43 pm »

Good day folks. I've been reading this forum for many months now and found it to be extremely interesting, informative and entertaining, so I decided to join it. This is my first post.  

I've been told by other US based Phase dealers that they can still facilitate this conversion as recently as November so who knows maybe they are going abroad?   In any case I've e-mailed with Rollei Metric directly only just a little while ago so I know this should still possible for whomever might be interested.

Eric

I heard from one of the main Phase dealers in the uk last week that the only way a P45+ can be adapted to a Rollei 6008 is to have them "fitted together" and that, once done, they can only be used together and only in portrait mode. Surely this isn't true? I won't mention the dealer name for their sake in case they are embarrassingly wrong! I hope they are, I'd love one of the P+ backs for my rollei. Does anyone know for sure about this? Thanks,

Philip
Philip

Gigi

• some work
« Reply #92 on: February 01, 2010, 08:57:19 pm »

Quote from: philipmccormick
Good day folks. I've been reading this forum for many months now and found it to be extremely interesting, informative and entertaining, so I decided to join it. This is my first post.  

I heard from one of the main Phase dealers in the uk last week that the only way a P45+ can be adapted to a Rollei 6008 is to have them "fitted together" and that, once done, they can only be used together and only in portrait mode. Surely this isn't true? I won't mention the dealer name for their sake in case they are embarrassingly wrong! I hope they are, I'd love one of the P+ backs for my rollei. Does anyone know for sure about this? Thanks,

Philip

At the risk of being wrong (!) my understanding is as follows:

- the dp20 mount was made by Rollei. Backs were supplied to them by Phase (P20), and the mount remachined to fit into a special Rollei back config that houses the digital back, and just goes on the 6008. It fits all the 6003/8 cameras, and is removable. Works fine on 6008AF, and the 6008 II (some). No EXIF data, just firing communication.

- the later Phase backs (as noted above by Eric) can be sent to Rollei Metric who will repeat this same service on a back (new or used) for a fee. The digital back is permanently mounted into the camera back. They told me some time ago that the camera back could either be fixed to the body (and thus the alignment would be that much better), or removable in case you wanted to use a film back, for example. Again, this would be a Rollei only back, and would  only go on Rollei mounts. Not the same as Hy6.

In short, you sacrifice the back's mount to go into a Rollei back system. The back is not rotatable, thus the appeal of the square (hooray) P20.

FWIW, I'm enjoying the dp20 on the Rollei even with its limited mb. Love those big pixels. Some point - maybe an upgraded back if Rollei Metric will still do this service.

Hope this helps.

Geoff
Geoff

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #93 on: February 02, 2010, 01:18:28 am »

Philip

Philip,
Just to add to what Geoffrey wrote, if you need a back that will rotate you can purchase one of the older ixpress backs or CF series backs.  Its not something you can do quickly like on the Hy6 or AFi as you have to unscrew 4 screws rotate and put them back in, but it can be done in a few minutes.  I also believe the same is true for the Sinar backs but don't have any first hand knowledge though there are a few people on this forum with Sinar backs mated to Rollei's so hopefully they will chime in.  Another point to consider is that as far as I know, the phase backs can be put into the Rollei mount but will work smoothly only with the 6008AF bodies.  I think it will technically work on any of the Rollei 6000 series cameras that have the removable film gate (the metal frame with the rollers) but the back will go to sleep after a few minutes of inactivity and you will get two shot errors on the first shot after waking up the back.  

Eric
Rolleiflex USA

philipmccormick

• http://www.pmccormickphoto.com
« Reply #94 on: February 02, 2010, 11:52:17 am »

Quote from: Geoffreyg
At the risk of being wrong (!) my understanding is as follows:

- the dp20 mount was made by Rollei. Backs were supplied to them by Phase (P20), and the mount remachined to fit into a special Rollei back config that houses the digital back, and just goes on the 6008. It fits all the 6003/8 cameras, and is removable. Works fine on 6008AF, and the 6008 II (some). No EXIF data, just firing communication.

- the later Phase backs (as noted above by Eric) can be sent to Rollei Metric who will repeat this same service on a back (new or used) for a fee. The digital back is permanently mounted into the camera back. They told me some time ago that the camera back could either be fixed to the body (and thus the alignment would be that much better), or removable in case you wanted to use a film back, for example. Again, this would be a Rollei only back, and would  only go on Rollei mounts. Not the same as Hy6.

In short, you sacrifice the back's mount to go into a Rollei back system. The back is not rotatable, thus the appeal of the square (hooray) P20.

FWIW, I'm enjoying the dp20 on the Rollei even with its limited mb. Love those big pixels. Some point - maybe an upgraded back if Rollei Metric will still do this service.

Hope this helps.

Geoff

Philip,
Just to add to what Geoffrey wrote, if you need a back that will rotate you can purchase one of the older ixpress backs or CF series backs.  Its not something you can do quickly like on the Hy6 or AFi as you have to unscrew 4 screws rotate and put them back in, but it can be done in a few minutes.  I also believe the same is true for the Sinar backs but don't have any first hand knowledge though there are a few people on this forum with Sinar backs mated to Rollei's so hopefully they will chime in.  Another point to consider is that as far as I know, the phase backs can be put into the Rollei mount but will work smoothly only with the 6008AF bodies.  I think it will technically work on any of the Rollei 6000 series cameras that have the removable film gate (the metal frame with the rollers) but the back will go to sleep after a few minutes of inactivity and you will get two shot errors on the first shot after waking up the back.  

Eric
Thanks for your reply Geoff and Eric. Seems the P1 dealer wasn't wrong at all, let alone embarrassingly so!

Quote from: Geoffreyg
Some point - maybe an upgraded back if Rollei Metric will still do this service.

Geoff

But as the later P1 backs' sensors are not square you'd be left with the back in portrait mode (so I'm told) and would have to turn the entire camera on it's side to get landscape format - surely not a realistic option (or am I missing something here?)

Eric, I already use a 6008AF with a sinar emotion22, 5 years old but with the latest firmware, and I love it. It provides a gorgeous combination with the Rollei/zeiss/schneider lenses. But, I need much longer exposures and higher ISOs sometimes and the P45+ seems to be the one.

Philip

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #95 on: February 02, 2010, 12:14:34 pm »

Philip,
I'm pretty sure you can have any of the phase backs mounted in landscape mode...you just can't change it.  very few phase dealers have info on this it seems, and you need to do the leg work. Try contacting either Rollei metric or dhw first then your dealer with the info or just go direct as phase charges for this anyhow. It's been a little while now but my understanding was that Rollei metric could supply the backs as well but your dealer may be able to do so with more options or other incentive.  Overall stick with it and you'll find a way - the dealers would rather sell something with more clear process for support such as the phamiya camera and lenses this original thread was about even if there are IQ or other compelling advantages to the Rollei/schneider combo.
Eric
Rolleiflex USA

Lawrie_Hope

• Peartreephoto
« Reply #96 on: February 02, 2010, 12:45:30 pm »

Thanks for your reply Geoff and Eric. Seems the P1 dealer wasn't wrong at all, let alone embarrassingly so!

But as the later P1 backs' sensors are not square you'd be left with the back in portrait mode (so I'm told) and would have to turn the entire camera on it's side to get landscape format - surely not a realistic option (or am I missing something here?)

Eric, I already use a 6008AF with a sinar emotion22, 5 years old but with the latest firmware, and I love it. It provides a gorgeous combination with the Rollei/zeiss/schneider lenses. But, I need much longer exposures and higher ISOs sometimes and the P45+ seems to be the one.

Have you had a look at AFi II camera and back either 7 or 10 internally rotating sensor, flip up screen and it will take your 6008 lenses.
Lawrie Hope
London, UK
Peartree

http://www.peartreephotoshop.co.uk
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up