Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tracking the sky  (Read 2515 times)

laughingbear

Tracking the sky
« on: September 27, 2009, 10:21:38 pm »

Greetings,

I have no background in atrophotography, but I suppose my question could find an answer in there. I would like to be able to shoot the nightsky without the typical startrails, hence a perfect tracking device would be needed to compensate for movement.

Is there anything on the market that you know of which could be used with a DSLR or MFDB without investing into a fully fledged astro setup.

Cheers
Georg

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Tracking the sky
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 04:43:44 am »

Quote from: laughingbear
Greetings,

I have no background in atrophotography, but I suppose my question could find an answer in there. I would like to be able to shoot the nightsky without the typical startrails, hence a perfect tracking device would be needed to compensate for movement.

Is there anything on the market that you know of which could be used with a DSLR or MFDB without investing into a fully fledged astro setup.

Cheers
Georg

Never done any, but a quick google came up with a DIY tracking platform, and there are numerous commercial ones out there if you want to spend an order of a magnitude (or two) more.

laughingbear

Tracking the sky
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 05:40:14 am »

Quote from: feppe
Never done any, but a quick google came up with a DIY tracking platform, and there are numerous commercial ones out there if you want to spend an order of a magnitude (or two) more.

Fan flippin tastic! Thanks for that Feppe!

Slough

Tracking the sky
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 08:30:38 am »

I see you've already got a link to the Haig/Scotch mount. Note that there are improved versions with better tracking. There is also the Dobson mount which is probably the same idea. And if you want to buy a driven mount, check out the Astrotrac.

laughingbear

Tracking the sky
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 11:50:28 am »

Quote from: Slough
I see you've already got a link to the Haig/Scotch mount. Note that there are improved versions with better tracking. There is also the Dobson mount which is probably the same idea. And if you want to buy a driven mount, check out the Astrotrac.

Hi Slough, thanks for that, looks really an interesting solution, particulary concerning weight and portability. Apparently the results from that system are quite impressive and flexible being abole to handle long teles as well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up