Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IJ Technologies Black Diamond Canvas  (Read 8123 times)

mike_botelho

• http://
IJ Technologies Black Diamond Canvas
« on: September 27, 2009, 05:06:27 pm »

I just finally got around to trying IJ Technology's Black Diamond Canvas, the glossy version.  I'm quite impressed by it.  First off it's entirely OBA-free, in both the gesso-type layer and the inkjet-receptive layer, which is exactly what I wanted.  Plus, it attains a bright enough white for my purposes, even without OBAs.  (I'm not saying it's as bright as a canvas or paper packed with OBAs, just that it's totally acceptable for me and my uses.)

IJT doesn't seem to provide any ICC profiles for their products, so, since this is the first time I've tried the BD canvas, I didn't have a profile to use.  I figured I'd be able to get a general idea about it's surface characteristics and gamut even without the profile, so I figured I'd go ahead and test it and get a high-quality profile done if it seemed promising.

Anyway, I then went ahead and printed a couple of small test images using the sample roll I'd purchased.  I set the paper type to Premium Glossy and used a canned Epson PG profile.  I didn't expect particularly accurate result, but, like I said, I was just fiddling around trying to get an idea of the surface and gamut.  To my surprise, however, I got really good results with the utterly inappropriate profile I was using.

I printed out the test samples on Epson PG as well and compared.  It's not the type of test I'd particularly recommend, but the results were surprisingly similar.  Needless to say, I'm reporting that the BD gloss canvas has a very nice gamut and contrast, considering it's about as close to glossy paper results as you can realistically expect.

Not only that, but the ink bonded extremely well with the substrate.  I found that the glossy surface was perhaps a little too reflective for me, so, not having a matte version of an inkjet liquid laminate, I tried brushing on a little Golden acrylic matte medium.  Of course, if I was doing a real top coat to reduce the sheen to something in between matte and glossy, I'd mix matte and gloss versions of something like Clearstar's Clearshield, or use a satin version of the same stuff, but I was only playing around with what I had on hand.

The surprising result was that I got absolutely no smearing or bleeding even while pushing substantial amounts of matte medium around on the surface of the print, which is something I've never been able to do with any other inkjet print on canvas.  Not that I've tried everything.  But, still,  I was impressed by the durability.

As I said, my only slight reservation was the amount of reflection I got at an angle in fairly bright illumination.  I realize that this is a characteristic of the gloss, but I've used a Breathing Color gloss canvas which really didn't have a similar problem, so I'm a bit spoiled I guess.

Which leads me to the question part of my post.  I was thinking that maybe BC avoiding some distracting reflection on their glossy canvas by making the surface a bit of a cross between gloss and satin.  So, I was wondering if anyone here's tried the IJT Black Diamond satin canvas, and, if so, how the surface and gamut pared with the glossy version.

Yes, I'll probably get a sample roll of the satin canvas sometime soon anyway, but I still figured I'd ask.  I'm going for as much gamut as I can, so, if there's little or no gamut hit on the satin canvas, I'll go ahead and try it.  But, if there's a noticeable sacrifice, I'll probably pass.

Hope someone finds my input helpful, and I look forward to finding out if anyone's tried the satin BD canvas.

Kind Regards,

Mike

Craig Murphy

• http://www.murphyphotography.com
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 08:22:56 am »

I have used the Black Diamond Satin.   Its fairly expensive.  I liked it but the surface is pretty smooth and its stiff as hell. I have a hard time with canvases that are so smooth they hardly look like canvas any more.  Whats the point?   Never had any experience with gloss.  Satin was plenty glossy for me.     I did have to have a custom profile made.  Gamut hit?  Could not say.  Can't imagine it being enough to worry about.    You want to see the surface?  I have some left over.  Send me your address and I'll put an envelope size piece in the mail.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 08:26:56 am by Craig Murphy »
CMurph

Roscolo

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 02:02:51 pm »

Quote from: Craig Murphy
I have a hard time with canvases that are so smooth they hardly look like canvas any more.  Whats the point?

Well, I like to print large (40x50, 40x60 inches), and a way to economically present my prints has been my only problem. Stretching canvas was one of the recommended solutions some time ago, but the texture of the canvas was the only real drawback. I have not used a smooth canvas, but if there are some canvases out there that are "so smooth they hardly look like canvas" that is precisely what I am looking for. Anyone with any experience with these products, a list of ultra-smooth canvases would be much appreciated. The smoother the better.

Dward

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 07:51:48 pm »

Quote from: Roscolo
Well, I like to print large (40x50, 40x60 inches), and a way to economically present my prints has been my only problem. Stretching canvas was one of the recommended solutions some time ago, but the texture of the canvas was the only real drawback. I have not used a smooth canvas, but if there are some canvases out there that are "so smooth they hardly look like canvas" that is precisely what I am looking for. Anyone with any experience with these products, a list of ultra-smooth canvases would be much appreciated. The smoother the better.

The smoothest (and most expensive) canvas I know of is InkAid 901.    Also quite bright--with some of my images it reveals shadow detail that my other favorite canvasses (Sihl 3948 and Lexjet satin) don't.

David V. Ward, Ph. D.
David V. Ward Fine Art Photography
www.dvward.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up