Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Choices  (Read 1738 times)

Ed Blagden

Choices
« on: September 27, 2009, 06:48:43 am »

C&C Appreciated

[attachment=16834:Omukuba_...ing_3402.jpg]

button

• http://
Choices
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 11:40:34 am »

I like this shot- the angles and colors create a sense of impending activity.  I'll have to say, though, that the expression on the man's face and his body language makes him look a bit creepy...  

John

John R

Choices
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 12:02:36 pm »

The way the tree and man is truncated is disturbing and gives a false creepy looking impression. I am sure he was just reviewing and greeting people. That's what I think he was doing. It makes me wonder why the scene is missing some of its context. But I do like the arrangement and colours and appreciate what you were attempting to convey.

JMR

Ed Blagden

Choices
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 03:30:30 pm »

Thanks for the comments.  I think in retrospect I should have added some explanation, so here goes.  The picture is from a Kenyan traditional wedding, and the highlight of the ceremony is where about 10 or so girls are clad from head to toe in Kangas - those brightly coloured sarong things - and lined up, and the bridegroom has to pick his bride from amongst them; the snag is that he is unable to see the faces, and so has to choose blind.  Of course, these days it is all a bit of a charade as everything will have been pre-arranged and he will know exactly whom to pick, perhaps based on the shoes, a watch, nail polish etc.  However tradition must be followed.  And I'm told that occasionally mistakes are made, with disastrous consequences.

Anyway, I'm glad to report that in this case he chose the right one (and by the way, he isn't creepy in real life).

Perhaps this would be better presented as a sequence, so here are a few more before, during and afters...

Ed

[attachment=16878:Risto__s...ing_3375.jpg]

[attachment=16879:Risto__s...ing_3386.jpg]

[attachment=16880:Risto__s...ing_3404.jpg]

[attachment=16881:Risto__s...ing_3413.jpg]

[attachment=16882:Risto__s...ing_3424.jpg]

button

• http://
Choices
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 03:52:58 pm »

Ah... much better.  Just goes to show what a little context can do.  Sorry Ed, didn't mean to cast a dour ray onto a happy day!

John

Ed Blagden

Choices
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 08:33:58 am »

Quote from: button
Ah... much better.  Just goes to show what a little context can do.  Sorry Ed, didn't mean to cast a dour ray onto a happy day!

John,

No no, not at all!  I'm grateful for the input.  When I posted the original image the creepiness thing honestly hadn't occurred to me.  I just didn't see it.  When I captured, then selected, and then posted the image I was thinking only about colour and form, and completely missed the other aspects which you and JMR pointed out.  That for me is the value of this site - others can see things which I don't, and this (I think) helps me learn to see better.  The other point I get from this is that sometimes images don't stand on their own, and need some context, either from a narrative or from showing a sequence, or both.

Ed
Pages: [1]   Go Up