Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom on Different Computers  (Read 2221 times)

PEK

Lightroom on Different Computers
« on: September 27, 2009, 03:06:21 am »

I wonder if someone more knowledgable than I can help with what, I suppose, is a pretty basic issue in Lightroom. I work on two computers, one at home and one in my office/studio. How do I work on an image at home (or, office) and take the changes made to an image or group of images and apply them to the files on the other computer?
Your help is appreciated.
Paul Kohl

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 05:05:33 am »

Not sure it is pretty basic, but common yes, and there are a number of ways to handle it - and plenty of scope for confusion or messing things up. My preference, because it eliminates much of the latter, is to do a File Export as Catalog on one machine, take its output catalogue and either open this little catalogue itself, or do File > Import as Catalogue to bring it into the main catalogue on the other machine. Then, on the way back, it's Export as Catalog again. This Export/Import as Catalog feature was designed for exactly this type of workflow.

Other ways are to save metadata (Ctrl S / Cmd S) and then take the picture file and any xmp sidecar with you. This is easy enough for small numbers of images from one or two folders.

John

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 05:54:37 pm »

I also use the Export as Catalogue/ Import Catalogue to move my processed images from my laptop to Desktop.  Works well, and as John said, no confusion.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

PEK

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 10:33:01 pm »

Thanks to both the people who responded to my question. Very helpful information...I am grateful.
Paul

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 11:38:16 am »

Quote from: PEK
Thanks to both the people who responded to my question. Very helpful information...I am grateful.
Paul

The easiest solution, I am surprised it was not mentioned, is to keep your image and LR files on an external disk and carry it from place to place.

Peter

laughingbear

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 11:55:52 am »

Yup, thats how I do it as well, the western digital studio II edition comes in a 4 TB flavour, 2x 2TB drives which can be used as RAID 1 or 0, I prefer the RAID 1 solution in case of the take with me option. While I do not have a fast esata card in my macbook pro, the firewire 800 is sufficient enough I would think.

Pages: [1]   Go Up