Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mounting Prints with Tyvek and Filmoplast P90  (Read 5237 times)

MKraus

Mounting Prints with Tyvek and Filmoplast P90
« on: September 26, 2009, 06:18:35 pm »

In Bill Atkinson's and Michael's video, they recommended using Tyvek tape and Filmoplast P90 tape to mount prints.  Which goes on the bottom facing up, the back of the print...and which goes on the top facing down.  Why use 2 types of tape and not just one or the other?  

Thanks,
Matthew Kraus.

Iwill

• http://www.IrvsArt.com
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 01:15:51 am »

Quote from: MKraus
In Bill Atkinson's and Michael's video, they recommended using Tyvek tape and Filmoplast P90 tape to mount prints.  Which goes on the bottom facing up, the back of the print...and which goes on the top facing down.  Why use 2 types of tape and not just one or the other?

In the video, Bill uses the Filmoplast P90 on the bottom facing up, and the Tyvek on the top facing down.  I've been following that procedure with my print mounting, and it works very well.  Neither Bill nor Michael mention why the use of two types of tape, but I speculate that its because the Filmoplast P90 is thinner and will have less chance of showing through as a 'bump' on the print, and the Tyvek is a stronger tape which can be used because it is not placed behind the print.  I don't know that this is the reason Bill uses both, though; it's just my guess.  Does anyone else know for sure?

Irv Williams

MKraus

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 12:25:30 pm »

Quote from: Iwill
In the video, Bill uses the Filmoplast P90 on the bottom facing up, and the Tyvek on the top facing down.  I've been following that procedure with my print mounting, and it works very well.  Neither Bill nor Michael mention why the use of two types of tape, but I speculate that its because the Filmoplast P90 is thinner and will have less chance of showing through as a 'bump' on the print, and the Tyvek is a stronger tape which can be used because it is not placed behind the print.  I don't know that this is the reason Bill uses both, though; it's just my guess.  Does anyone else know for sure?

Irv Williams

MKraus

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 12:27:35 pm »

Thanks for the reply Irv.  Anyone else have any thoughts on why they use 2 different tapes?

Matthew Kraus

titusbear

• http://contemplativeeye.com
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 12:50:29 pm »

Your query prompted my to investigate filmoplast - which led me to talasonline.com    
they sell the tape, and a mind-boggling collection of other archival 'stuff' - but most interesting to me re:
mounting images is this type of mount - that doesn't actually connect to the print - allowing it to move as required -
but also preserving the option of handling the actual print with damage from mounting...

e/tb
contemplativeeye.com

Thanks,
Matthew Kraus.

KeithR

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 10:05:36 am »

Thanks for the reply Irv.  Anyone else have any thoughts on why they use 2 different tapes?

Matthew Kraus
My guess(and it's just that) is that the Filmoplast is archival and is in direct contact with the image while the Tyvek does not come into contact with the print, is very thin, strong and it is what is actually holding the print to the board. I also go as far as using the photo corners that are shown in the video.
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

framah

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 11:41:15 am »

In reality, the Tyvek is redundant.  The whole hinge package is only as strong as its weakest link, which is the P-90 tape.  

The idea of any hinging of art is for the hinge material to be weaker than the art. If a frame is dropped or jarred, the only thing that will tear will be the hinge and not the paper the  art is on.  If you used a heavier fiber tape then you can be sure that the art will tear and the hinge will be intact.

My theory is that somewhere in Bill's past, someone showed him how to hinge  using  Tyvek and P-90 and that is what he is doing.

It is perfectly fine to use the P-90 for both  parts of the hinge.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 11:41:55 am by framah »
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."
Pages: [1]   Go Up