Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Film medium format accessroies  (Read 7826 times)

Professional

Film medium format accessroies
« on: September 26, 2009, 02:38:24 am »

Hey all,

I am waiting to get my film medium format cameras sooner or later, but i just ordered the bodies without anything, so i would like to start questions:

1. For Hasselblad 501C/M, what lenses do you recommend? I want to have only 1 or 2 no more.

2. What film back/magazine should i get for that Hasselblad above?

3. For Mamiya RZ67 ProII, what lenses do you recommend me to look at [1-2 lenses]?

4. What film back you recommend for that RZ67 II?

5. What film media you recommend to use with those film bodies, let's say for outdoor and indoor [Landscape, portraiture,...]?

6. What scanner do you recommend to use for the film?

marcwilson

• http://www.marcwilson.co.uk
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 10:56:00 am »

1. depends on what you shoot

2. A12 ( a matching insert will give more chance of not having spacing problems)

3. see 1 above!

5. see 1 and 3!

6. see if you can find a used imacon scanner for what i think gives the best mix of quality / ease of use from mf film..but of course that is just my opinion.

as you can probably tell we need more info to be able to give you answers!

Marc
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 10:57:00 am by marcwilson »
www.marcwilson.co.uk [url=http://www.mar

Professional

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 11:22:48 am »

Quote from: marcwilson
1. depends on what you shoot

2. A12 ( a matching insert will give more chance of not having spacing problems)

3. see 1 above!

5. see 1 and 3!

6. see if you can find a used imacon scanner for what i think gives the best mix of quality / ease of use from mf film..but of course that is just my opinion.

as you can probably tell we need more info to be able to give you answers!

Marc

Hi Marc,

Thank you very much for your answers.

I dunno what more info you need, but let me say that i want to shoot portraits and landscapes only by either of them or both, i was mostly looking to use the Hasselblad for portraits outdoors and for landscape, but i wan to use that RZ65 for studio portraits and maybe outdoors sometimes, so what more info do you need to answer further more?

marcwilson

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 11:32:26 am »

ok.

with the blad, if you want just 2 lenses and want to shoot both landscape and portraiture I'd go for the 60mm and either 120 or 150mm lenses. I feel these will give you best combo. both can be used for landscapes and of course the longer one for portraits and even possibly the 60 for wider group shots.
Others may say go wider with a 50 or even 40mm for the landscape work but I always preferred the look I got from the 60mm on square format...but remember that really is just my point of view and may not work for you. But I do believe that because of the square over rectangular format you can't simply choose your favourite 35mm focal length and convert.

I never shot much with the mamiya's so hopefully someone else will chime on about those lenses.

hope some of that helps but whatever the blads are really fantastic cameras to shoot with, wether in a studio or on a glacier!

Marc

Professional

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 12:48:46 pm »

ok.

with the blad, if you want just 2 lenses and want to shoot both landscape and portraiture I'd go for the 60mm and either 120 or 150mm lenses. I feel these will give you best combo. both can be used for landscapes and of course the longer one for portraits and even possibly the 60 for wider group shots.
Others may say go wider with a 50 or even 40mm for the landscape work but I always preferred the look I got from the 60mm on square format...but remember that really is just my point of view and may not work for you. But I do believe that because of the square over rectangular format you can't simply choose your favourite 35mm focal length and convert.

I never shot much with the mamiya's so hopefully someone else will chime on about those lenses.

hope some of that helps but whatever the blads are really fantastic cameras to shoot with, wether in a studio or on a glacier!

Marc

Thank you very much, Marc!

I didn't tell you what i was looking until you answer, and great that you were reading my mind, yes, i was going after one wide angle lens for mostly landscapes and outdoor and sometimes for group portraits and also with tele or long lens for portraits and head shots maybe and can be used for outdoor when necessary, still i have my many digital cameras i am using so i don't want to have many lenses for film cameras even they are great.

I will check about Mamiya even i was planning to go with 65 and 180, but for Hasselblad i will go with 150 definitely, but not sure either 40 or 60 [no 50] as i like 24mm equiv of 40 and the 35mm equiv of that 60mm, i was also thinking of a lens to be at the equiv of 50mm[35mm format] on the hassy.

Tareq

vandevanterSH

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 01:35:50 pm »

1. For Hasselblad 501C/M, what lenses do you recommend? I want to have only 1 or 2 no more.
A)   40 or 50mm F/4 CF FLE

150 f/4 CF or the 180 f/4 CF...The 180mm is one of the best lenses in the CZ Hasselblad series.

2. 2. What film back/magazine should...
A12...newest and best condition that you can find...The newer A12's have the dark slide holder which is really nice

3. Viewing screens
The 501CM should have the latest Acute-Matte D screen but if it doesn't consider an upgrade

4.Another option worth considering is a metered prism view finder...PME-45....Unless you have a lot of  experience shooting film and manually setting exposure,  TTL metering is very useful especially if you use filters esp. polarizing filter.  When the film mag is  12 shots, bracketing exposure is a PITA and with the "long" turn-around from exposure to seeing the result, learning can be frustration and have a lot of wasted shots.  (Other people experience may vary..:>)

5) Scanners.....Just starting out, I would have your good shots "lab scanned"....Scanning is another steep learning curve.  As far a scanners, depends on budget.   At the low end, but good, Epson 750 Pro....intermediate (~$2k) Nikon (discontinued but some new still available...upper range and quality..Hasselblad Flextight X-1 or X-5.  As an aside, unless you are a film only person, after the expense and time investment for(home) scanning, a used digital back would make more sense.

Steve

Professional

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 02:06:58 pm »

Quote from: vandevanterSH
A)   40 or 50mm F/4 CF FLE

150 f/4 CF or the 180 f/4 CF...The 180mm is one of the best lenses in the CZ Hasselblad series.

2. 2. What film back/magazine should...
A12...newest and best condition that you can find...The newer A12's have the dark slide holder which is really nice

3. Viewing screens
The 501CM should have the latest Acute-Matte D screen but if it doesn't consider an upgrade

4.Another option worth considering is a metered prism view finder...PME-45....Unless you have a lot of  experience shooting film and manually setting exposure,  TTL metering is very useful especially if you use filters esp. polarizing filter.  When the film mag is  12 shots, bracketing exposure is a PITA and with the "long" turn-around from exposure to seeing the result, learning can be frustration and have a lot of wasted shots.  (Other people experience may vary..:>)

5) Scanners.....Just starting out, I would have your good shots "lab scanned"....Scanning is another steep learning curve.  As far a scanners, depends on budget.   At the low end, but good, Epson 750 Pro....intermediate (~$2k) Nikon (discontinued but some new still available...upper range and quality..Hasselblad Flextight X-1 or X-5.  As an aside, unless you are a film only person, after the expense and time investment for(home) scanning, a used digital back would make more sense.

Steve

It seems now that the film back is the only thing that i am sure about 100% and i found a new one so i will go with that, but the lenses still didn't decide completely, as on long side 150/180 both are great and recommended by most, i have to choose one, also the same on the wide side, 40 up to 60 are recommended, many maybe going with 50, but i got amazed that not many recommended of 80mm, so if i decide to buy say 3 lenses for each body then it may be easier to choose, but for only 2 for each, it will be a tough decision.

I really didn't look at viewing screens, but i was looking to get that for Mamiya only, i love the Hasselblad with that Waist level that it came with [i ordered Maimya without any viewing screen], so i will give that a look. Talking about metering, i never used film before, and i have used my digital cameras for all my landscapes and i can get very close metering settings and adjustments, and if necessary i have Sekonic L-758DR, is it fine to use with my film cameras or i should look for another light meter?

Seems scanners also not easy to decide on which, i don't want to go with cheap scanner and have limited performances or usage, also can't go with so pricey expensive scanner and not get benefit of it for long term, i really dunno why i go with film nowadays, but i really would like to have an experience in that world as many many of you did, so i don't want to be a photographer with no experience in film at all, also i am planning or dreaming to buy a Phase One digital back in the future when i can afford it, as i have Hasselblad H3DII-39 now so i am not looking at P45+ or P40+, only P65+ and larger which means a lot of $$$ in the ..$$.

Thanks Steve,

-Tareq

vandevanterSH

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 05:15:35 pm »

many maybe going with 50, but i got amazed that not many recommended of 80mm
I have the 50, 80, 120 f/5.6, 120 f/4 Macro, 180, 250, 2xTC....The two lenses that are on the camera 90% of the time are the 50 and the 180.  As far a film goes, I have gotten some 120 Kodak Ektar 100 that I will try in a few weeks.  I have shot a couple of rolls of 35mm Ektar and the results were excellent.  

I am basically lazy and many time don't use my own advice but in order to get the best results from "V" series it's tripod and mirror up.

Steve

Professional

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 07:40:36 pm »

Quote from: vandevanterSH
many maybe going with 50, but i got amazed that not many recommended of 80mm
I have the 50, 80, 120 f/5.6, 120 f/4 Macro, 180, 250, 2xTC....The two lenses that are on the camera 90% of the time are the 50 and the 180.  As far a film goes, I have gotten some 120 Kodak Ektar 100 that I will try in a few weeks.  I have shot a couple of rolls of 35mm Ektar and the results were excellent.  

I am basically lazy and many time don't use my own advice but in order to get the best results from "V" series it's tripod and mirror up.

Steve

Almost 98% of my landscapes are with tripod, remote and mirror LU and i can do that for portraits when needed, so i don't have an issue in that, also i use Manual 90% of the time with my digital, so i know almost what settings to choose, but in digital it is easier because i can check histogram and internal metering or even light meter, but with film it is a different story, a photographer i met in Scotland and shooting only with film [MF and 35mm] was using light meter all the time or most of the time for his work even he has an experience for over 18 or 20 years.

Yes, i will go with 50 and either 150 or 180, but it seems i will choose 150 for hasselblad and 180 for mamiya., about the film i will go with Fujifilm.

pixjohn

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 09:10:23 pm »

I always likes the 150 for most work and head shots I liked the 120. I also use to have a 50 and 80.

fyi I just happen to have a 150cf for sale $400 bucks.

Professional

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2009, 09:22:17 pm »

OK, i will take 4 lenses for Hasselblad, 2 new and 2 used.

marcwilson

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2009, 12:35:40 pm »

Quote from: Professional
OK, i will take 4 lenses for Hasselblad, 2 new and 2 used.

I hope you don't mind me saying this but don't rush into these things...hasselblad gear is very expensive, especially if you buy it new and then decide its not right and want to sell the lenses.

May I suggest starting with the portrait lens and either the 50/60 or 80mm.
Once you have shot with these two you can then know if you need wider, etc.
You could even get these first lenses used if need be.

Also manual metering is a really important part of shooting with film...a spot meter and grey card are very good tools to have and if you use them you should get correct exposures every shot!

As for film, try different ones out on similar subjects to see which you prefer a each film type can have a very different look.

Also do you mind if I ask why you want to have both the hasselblad and the mamiya...is it because you want to shoot both square and 67 format?

Hope that helps,

Marc

Professional

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2009, 05:42:37 pm »

I hope you don't mind me saying this but don't rush into these things...hasselblad gear is very expensive, especially if you buy it new and then decide its not right and want to sell the lenses.

May I suggest starting with the portrait lens and either the 50/60 or 80mm.
Once you have shot with these two you can then know if you need wider, etc.
You could even get these first lenses used if need be.

Also manual metering is a really important part of shooting with film...a spot meter and grey card are very good tools to have and if you use them you should get correct exposures every shot!

As for film, try different ones out on similar subjects to see which you prefer a each film type can have a very different look.

Also do you mind if I ask why you want to have both the hasselblad and the mamiya...is it because you want to shoot both square and 67 format?

Hope that helps,

Marc

Hi Marc,

In fact i don't know why i bought film cameras, and why 2, it is just to collect gear that's all, i didn't use film before and i was saying i don't want to go with 35mm at all even it is great, so i went with MF and even i want to go LF, when i hear people here talking about their experience with film cameras [MF & LF] it make us [me] like we don't know anything about photography, even how good i am in digital it is like people who used film are well educated more experienced and more pro than only new digital-only shooters, so that i did't know what kind of film camera i should go with but after having digital MF i told myself to not go down to 35mm even with film, so i took a plunge and went with film MF, and because i don't know if i just go with square or get different sensor size like 6x7 or 6x9 i decided i will go with the square and 6x7 [not interested in 6x4.5], and for 6x6 Hasselbld was my choice from beginning, but i was confused a lot about which 6x7 camera, and i was planning to buy a new body but one of each where pricey, so i went with used for both and could get both in price much more less than 1 body new.

I know i have a lot to learn in film photography and i know how hard to do it these days with the digital invasion but i would like to take my time and have fun with film, in all cases i found that i will never be a great photographer even after 100 years because i live in very difficult country and very hard situations that will not give me any freedom to be great artist and creative, even if i learn too much i will be still behind many millions greatest photographers in the West, so i decided i just test and use equipments that those pros and master using, doesn't matter i must be a master or pro to use or access to those high end and pro gear, and i don't really feel i want to compete any of you because i live different life than you and only if i immigrate then i may come closer to your level, so for those reasons i just don't care much about the gear i buy, i got 2 film MF now and will use it for a while and i may add LF later to see how amazing it is from what i heard by many LF users.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 05:43:46 pm by Professional »

marcwilson

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2009, 03:53:47 am »

Hi Marc,

In fact i don't know why i bought film cameras, and why 2, it is just to collect gear that's all, i didn't use film before and i was saying i don't want to go with 35mm at all even it is great, so i went with MF and even i want to go LF, when i hear people here talking about their experience with film cameras [MF & LF] it make us [me] like we don't know anything about photography, even how good i am in digital it is like people who used film are well educated more experienced and more pro than only new digital-only shooters, so that i did't know what kind of film camera i should go with but after having digital MF i told myself to not go down to 35mm even with film, so i took a plunge and went with film MF, and because i don't know if i just go with square or get different sensor size like 6x7 or 6x9 i decided i will go with the square and 6x7 [not interested in 6x4.5], and for 6x6 Hasselbld was my choice from beginning, but i was confused a lot about which 6x7 camera, and i was planning to buy a new body but one of each where pricey, so i went with used for both and could get both in price much more less than 1 body new.

I know i have a lot to learn in film photography and i know how hard to do it these days with the digital invasion but i would like to take my time and have fun with film, in all cases i found that i will never be a great photographer even after 100 years because i live in very difficult country and very hard situations that will not give me any freedom to be great artist and creative, even if i learn too much i will be still behind many millions greatest photographers in the West, so i decided i just test and use equipments that those pros and master using, doesn't matter i must be a master or pro to use or access to those high end and pro gear, and i don't really feel i want to compete any of you because i live different life than you and only if i immigrate then i may come closer to your level, so for those reasons i just don't care much about the gear i buy, i got 2 film MF now and will use it for a while and i may add LF later to see how amazing it is from what i heard by many LF users.

wow!
shooting with film is a great experience and you will find lots of joy I am sure.
Shooting with large format is even more so, not just because of the anticipation of the film process, etc but the whole way of working with large format, especially the viewing experience, the changing of perspectives, etc, etc.

There are two occasions I will allways remember with my initial experiences of photography:
The first time the image appeared on my paper out of the developer in the black and white darkroom and the first time I shot with a hasselblad, looking down at the large viewing screen, everything just seemed 'alive'!

Enjoy and have fun and do share your images as remember its all about what you see, where you direct the lens, and when you press the shutter.
Any more questions feel free to ask.

Marc
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 03:54:46 am by marcwilson »

Professional

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2009, 08:25:48 am »

wow!
shooting with film is a great experience and you will find lots of joy I am sure.
Shooting with large format is even more so, not just because of the anticipation of the film process, etc but the whole way of working with large format, especially the viewing experience, the changing of perspectives, etc, etc.

There are two occasions I will allways remember with my initial experiences of photography:
The first time the image appeared on my paper out of the developer in the black and white darkroom and the first time I shot with a hasselblad, looking down at the large viewing screen, everything just seemed 'alive'!

Enjoy and have fun and do share your images as remember its all about what you see, where you direct the lens, and when you press the shutter.
Any more questions feel free to ask.

Marc

Yes, i love that joy of setup, adjusting, change, view,....etc. I am not that boy to click the shutter and leave, i like to spend more time on the shot, study, having fun, trying different perspectives and so, there is nothing easy than pressing the shutter with digital, even my so young daughters they can press the shutter, even the camera time can do that job, so i want to take the excitement and joy of film, processing and so.

Thank you very much for your post.

Tareq

epatsellis

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2009, 10:41:54 am »

I would suggest that for both systems, a compendium lens shade will be a smart investment. I shoot both Hassy and RB67 and while both systems lenses are great, you can significantly improve your success with efficient lens shades.

Professional

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2009, 06:16:32 am »

Quote from: epatsellis
I would suggest that for both systems, a compendium lens shade will be a smart investment. I shoot both Hassy and RB67 and while both systems lenses are great, you can significantly improve your success with efficient lens shades.

What is lens shade?

ctz

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2009, 06:23:04 am »

What is lens shade?

who knows? google it!

http://images.google.com/images?client=saf...l=en&tab=wi
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 06:27:08 am by ctz »

ThierryH

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2009, 06:41:37 am »

a lens shade or compendium is a necessary protection mounted on the lens or view camera, to protect the lens from all light coming in and not part of the image itself. Light reflects from anywhere, and when one takes an image, one needs only the light reflected from the subject itself, respectively only what creates the image on the capture medium (film or sensor). All other reflected light entering the lens does ONLY disturb or destroy the contrast of the image itself.

This reflected light from areas other than the subject itself should not be underestimated: it can "kill" easily 2 or 3 f-stops of the general contrast, respectively the dynamic range. E.g. a subject shot on a white background or translucent white table is a killer of the contrast, if one does not use a lens shade or compendium.

Best regards,
Thierry

What is lens shade?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 06:42:29 am by ThierryH »

gavin_stok

• http://www.gavinstok.com/
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2009, 06:52:56 am »

Hi. In my personal opinion:

1. The 80mm lens you'll probably get with the camera - it's a very good lens. You'll also want to consider a 50mm f4 CF lens for landscape (FLE ideally), and perhaps a 150mm CF lens for portrait.

2. The A12 is the standard and best to aim for. The A16 does 6x4.5 which is more landscape friendly, but you can always just compose using the A12 to factor in crop top & bottom.

3 & 4. Not experienced here so won't comment.

5. For landscape, Fuji Velvia is popular for rich saturated colours. I also find Fuji Provia good for certain light. For portraiture I used to use Kodak 160NC (negative) or Sensia (transparency) but there may be better out there.

6. I'd get this done professionally.... which leads me to a new point - in this day and age ensure you can source a reliable and cost effective professional lab to process your film and/or scan BEFORE making this investment. They are a slowly dying breed.

Good luck, and enjoy!
Gavin Stok Photography:
http://www.gavinstok.com/

Blog - by photographers for photographers:
http://blog.gavinstok.com/
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up