Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 9800 -- 720 or 1440??  (Read 1447 times)

Pacific Image Works

Epson 9800 -- 720 or 1440??
« on: September 26, 2009, 01:18:54 am »

This must surely have been covered before, so forgive me please. I'm printing images for an upcoming art opening of my landscape photography on my new (to me) Epson 9800. I print out of PS CS3 and PS manages the color. I select "Fine Detail", but I don't know whether to select 720 or 1440.
My tendency is to select 1440 for better quality, but I ran a test printing a set of two images printing at both settings. I can't see any difference in the two sets of prints. Would printing at 720 save ink or print faster? I didn't notice a difference in printing time, but I didn't measure that.
Since my my photos are landscapes, is it possible that the higher rez settings wouldn't make a difference like it might in very subtle gradients on a person's face in a portrait?
I'm printing a lot of work this weekend and could use your collective wisdom.
Thanks,
Craig
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 01:20:08 am by Pacific Image Works »

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 02:48:49 pm »

Quote from: Pacific Image Works
This must surely have been covered before, so forgive me please. I'm printing images for an upcoming art opening of my landscape photography on my new (to me) Epson 9800. I print out of PS CS3 and PS manages the color. I select "Fine Detail", but I don't know whether to select 720 or 1440.
My tendency is to select 1440 for better quality, but I ran a test printing a set of two images printing at both settings. I can't see any difference in the two sets of prints. Would printing at 720 save ink or print faster? I didn't notice a difference in printing time, but I didn't measure that.
Since my my photos are landscapes, is it possible that the higher rez settings wouldn't make a difference like it might in very subtle gradients on a person's face in a portrait?
I'm printing a lot of work this weekend and could use your collective wisdom.
Thanks,
Craig

The "Fine Detail" setting is there for small fonts, line drawings etc. It has no use for photographic images.
The 720 versus 1440 DPI may only show on very good inkjet coatings, if you do not notice better smoothnes in gradations or a difference in detail reproduction on your paper then select the lower resolution. It has to speed up processing, from loading the image on the driver to the print speed.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

pleverington

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 08:52:28 am »

Watch for banding when using the lower dpi settings.

Paul
Pages: [1]   Go Up