Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 3800 not printing total black in ABW mode!?  (Read 2425 times)

duraace

Epson 3800 not printing total black in ABW mode!?
« on: September 25, 2009, 07:39:05 pm »

In photo paper mode, total black areas on the gray scale image appear lighter and shiny in light, instead of pure black.  Any suggestions?

colinm

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 07:44:51 pm »

Sounds like it may be overinking. What paper are you using?
Colin

duraace

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 08:46:34 pm »

Quote from: colinm
Sounds like it may be overinking. What paper are you using?

Using Epson Exhibition Fiber with Premium Luster set in the driver as paper type.

jjlphoto

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 10:37:58 pm »

Are you perhaps just noticing glare reflected onto that black area? If so, that is normal.
Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP

AaronPhotog

• Dygart Photography
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 12:53:22 am »

In my tests of this paper with the 3800, while EEF can achieve a slightly higher dmax with the premium luster setting, using the premium glossy setting instead results in a smoother curve all the way through the maximum densities until the very last step where there is a very slight reversal.  With the luster setting, there is a more significant reversal in the curve near the top end where it drops from 2.61 to 2.58 and then recovers, and reverses again!  You probably have to hit it with a lot of light to really see that, but it might be part of your problem.

I'd try the premium glossy setting and see if it's better.

Good luck and Aloha,

Aaron
Aaron Dygart,
Honolulu

duraace

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 12:26:47 pm »

Quote from: AaronPhotog
In my tests of this paper with the 3800, while EEF can achieve a slightly higher dmax with the premium luster setting, using the premium glossy setting instead results in a smoother curve all the way through the maximum densities until the very last step where there is a very slight reversal.  With the luster setting, there is a more significant reversal in the curve near the top end where it drops from 2.61 to 2.58 and then recovers, and reverses again!  You probably have to hit it with a lot of light to really see that, but it might be part of your problem.

I'd try the premium glossy setting and see if it's better.

Good luck and Aloha,

Aaron

I also see it on IFORD Gold Fibre Silk using the Semi Gloss setting.  I can see it with no light shining on the surface.  It has what I would describe as a somewhat 'milky' appearance.  

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 02:46:23 pm »

Quote from: duraace
Using Epson Exhibition Fiber with Premium Luster set in the driver as paper type.
Epson recommend using Premium Glossy as the setting.  As others have already noted, try that and see if there is a difference.  I have not observed what you see in my B&W printing.

duraace

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 03:14:13 pm »

Quote from: Alan Goldhammer
Epson recommend using Premium Glossy as the setting.  As others have already noted, try that and see if there is a difference.  I have not observed what you see in my B&W printing.

Problem solved I think.  I did a head nozzle check, and the black ink indicated very clogged.  Did one head cleaning, and still a very minor indicator, so I'm doing another.  That should fix the problem.

duraace

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 03:53:26 pm »

Quote from: duraace
Problem solved I think.  I did a head nozzle check, and the black ink indicated very clogged.  Did one head cleaning, and still a very minor indicator, so I'm doing another.  That should fix the problem.

Bingo ... head clog.  Looks like a million bucks again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up