Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for Quality Slide/Negative Scanner  (Read 3260 times)

Shamrock

Looking for Quality Slide/Negative Scanner
« on: September 25, 2009, 06:21:26 pm »

Looking for Quality Slide/Negative Scanner:

I’m a “writer/photographer in private practice” and specialize in nonfiction magazine articles.  Before switching to digital photography in 2001, I accumulated literally 1000’s of 35mm color transparencies (plus a lesser number of 35mm B/W negative strips)  over the years.  My goal is to scan these images into publishable digital format to accompany forthcoming literary submissions.

Can anyone suggest reliable online sources of product descriptions, test results, comparisons … even personal experiences for suitable slide/negative scanners?

Thanks.

Plekto

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 06:51:40 pm »

If it's just 35mm, there are all sorts of options, though having the ability to scan 10 or so at once can be a godsend, so look for models that have that option.  Epson seems to be the best low-cost option, but there are also dedicated 35mm slide scanners that you can get an automatic feeder for.

Gellman

• http://www.jgphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 03:03:41 pm »

I don't think you can go wrong with a Nikon Coolscan LS5000. There is a used one listed on eBay right now by a reputable seller. Current bid is under $300, but it will surely rise. If you buy a used scanner, scan all your slides, and then sell the scanner, your total cost should be very reasonable.

Good luck.

John

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 03:21:09 pm »

This guys site isn't particularly up-to-date, but his scanner reviews are easily the most thorough I have ever seen, and as a result, they are very informative about making scanner purchase decisions.

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/index.html
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 03:24:56 pm »

Duplicate entry. sorry.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 03:26:00 pm by fike »
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

Shamrock

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 04:57:37 pm »

Quote from: ncjohnboy
I don't think you can go wrong with a Nikon Coolscan LS5000. There is a used one listed on eBay right now by a reputable seller. Current bid is under $300, but it will surely rise. If you buy a used scanner, scan all your slides, and then sell the scanner, your total cost should be very reasonable.

Good luck.

John

Thanks but I don't go for second-hand stuff ... just too risky for my POM (Peace of Mind) ... plus the "new" price is simply out of reach.

shamrock838

Shamrock

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 05:06:34 pm »

Quote from: fike
This guys site isn't particularly up-to-date, but his scanner reviews are easily the most thorough I have ever seen, and as a result, they are very informative about making scanner purchase decisions.

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/index.html

I didn't see anything of particular interest at that site.

P.S. I have a slightly dated pre-Konica Minolta DiMage Scan Dual III (AF-2840) ... slide/film scanner ...  that I got for use with my [XP Pro] Dell Latitude D820 laptop.  I never really explored its full potential ... but now I'm wondering how it stacks up against today's slide/film scanners.  

BTW, I've since acquired a [Vista Business] Dell Vostro 420 desktop.  So I'm wondering if I should: (a) stick with the old setup; or ( upgrade to something that works with Vista?  Again, I'd like to know how good the Scan Dual III stacks up against newer stuff.  Any clues?  Thanks.

Shamrock838
Pages: [1]   Go Up