Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Point-and-shoot with RAW capability  (Read 11717 times)

Misirlou

• http://
Point-and-shoot with RAW capability
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2009, 04:07:44 pm »

Quote from: markhout
Just received the S90 and although the RAW capabilities are fine, the wideangle distorsion is horrible compared to my G10. So I'm somewhat mixed on the S90.

I'd be surprised if the writers of PTlens didn't jump on that right away. DxO would be even better, but they may or may not get around to it anytime soon.

In my experience, the better lens correction utilities can make a great image from a great camera/lens look a little better, but they make a mediocre image from an inexpensive system look dramatically better. I still have an ancient S50, and good post processing utilities have kept it useful all these years. I might get an S90 if the S50 finally dies.

markhout

• http://www.markhout.com
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2009, 04:10:56 pm »

I look forward to that! The manual capabilities of the S90 are fine - and the handling is great...

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2009, 04:55:19 pm »

Just received the S90 and although the RAW capabilities are fine, the wideangle distorsion is horrible compared to my G10. So I'm somewhat mixed on the S90.
I'm not hugely surprised by this, I think it's to be expected when fitting a fast wide-angle lens into such a small package. Remember the LX-3 had terrible distortion as well, but they tried to hide it under the covers by forcing automatic correction during raw conversion. As another poster said, as long as PTLens supports the S90 that should be OK.
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2009, 05:33:43 pm »

Quote from: kmanphoto
what do you guys think about the Leica D-Lux 4?

kman

Looks like a nice camera, but I don't see anything that justifies the $200 price premium over the G11 (unless the "Leica prestige" is worth that much to you). Also, the long end of the zoom range is less than 1/2 of the Canon's.

Peter
www.peteraitken.com

Misirlou

• http://
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2009, 06:04:07 pm »

I look forward to that! The manual capabilities of the S90 are fine - and the handling is great...

Looks like PTlens already supports the G11. The S90 can't be far behind. If you contact Thomas Niemann, he might be able to build the required lens profile for you, if you send him the right kind of shots.

If you get that worked out, please post a before/after comparison here. I'm quite interested to see what can be wrung out of the S90.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2009, 06:18:09 pm »

I've been a G9/G10 user for some time, always wanting to make sure I had a decent camera with me. I realized out of all of my G10 shots the best I ever did with them was some small prints and a some web images.  The entire purpose of carrying the camera around was to get enough quality so I could actually make a decent size print even if I had to do a little cropping, and certainly some of the images were OK, but what I found myself doing was hauling the Canon system to places because I didn't think the G10 was quite good enough.   I would like the camera to be adequate enough for circumstances that I know I have a chance of getting a good image when doing an activity that is difficult to haul around a larger system ( for example playing golf at Poipu, Kauii).  Just having it in my pocket didn't do any good if the image just didn't cut it.

Sort of like that new book touting the iPhone camera .."the Best Camera is the one that's with you" ... well if an iPhone is good enough fine but just taking an image is only part of the story ... if it looks pretty good but all you can do with it is put it on your blog ... well not what I'm interested in. You can always change that formula by finding a way to have a better camera with you.  I'm not saying you can't take great images with a G10 or S90, or an iPhone for that matter ... I just don't like being that limited in what I could do with those images.

So I just took delivery of a GF1 system with 20mm/1.7, 14-45 zoom and the EVF.  First impressions .. wow, what an awesome little camera.  With the 20mm on it it's barely larger than the G10, but the picture quality is much better.

Guess time will tell, but right now I"m pretty excited about this as an option vs. the G10.  I certainly will feel better about having it along as another option when out using my MF gear.

Pelao

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2009, 08:23:25 pm »

So I just took delivery of a GF1 system with 20mm/1.7, 14-45 zoom and the EVF. First impressions .. wow, what an awesome little camera. With the 20mm on it it's barely larger than the G10, but the picture quality is much better.

Guess time will tell, but right now I"m pretty excited about this as an option vs. the G10. I certainly will feel better about having it along as another option when out using my MF gear.

Wayne,

I have been following the new PEN and GF1 with interest. Your comments on the G10 and ' the camera that's with you thing' mirror my own thoughts.

I am very, very tempted by the GF1, and would certainly want the VF. I would purchase exactly the setup you chose. I do like the in body IS of the Olympus, and may just wait to see if an updated version brings faster focusing, a better VF and maybe even a flash (though the latter is not to important to me). On the other hand I will be missing shots...

When you have had the camera for a while it would be really great to hear more of your impressions. I am especially interested in the handling, VF etc: I am convinced on image and lens quality by what I have seen and read on various sites.

markhout

• http://www.markhout.com
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2009, 09:11:43 pm »

Quote from: JeffKohn
I'm not hugely surprised by this, I think it's to be expected when fitting a fast wide-angle lens into such a small package. Remember the LX-3 had terrible distortion as well, but they tried to hide it under the covers by forcing automatic correction during raw conversion. As another poster said, as long as PTLens supports the S90 that should be OK.

I should have used the DPP software that came with the S90 - just found out that it corrects the distortion flawlessly.

Mark
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 09:15:35 pm by markhout »

kmanphoto

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2009, 09:06:22 pm »

I should have used the DPP software that came with the S90 - just found out that it corrects the distortion flawlessly.

Mark

wait a minute here --- I think I recognize this photo, is this inside of the Marriot Marquis in Times Square??
if it is I have stayed there before and took photos also. A very cool hotel indeed

kman
Kent Whiting

Chris Pollock

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2009, 09:45:49 pm »

One of the nice things about the micro four-thirds standard is that Adobe Camera Raw (and some other software) automatically corrects lens flaws. I hope they add the same capability for popular DSLR lenses as well. I know you can do it manually, but it requires a lot of work. At the very least, ACR should let you set a default correction for each camera/lens/aperture/distance combination. It would be even better if they tested the lenses themselves, and built a database of default corrections for an average sample of each lens.

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2009, 12:39:52 am »

Well, Amazon says my S90 shipped so I should have it Monday or Tuesday.
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up