Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 7 Explorer and image file problems  (Read 3146 times)

Pete_G

Windows 7 Explorer and image file problems
« on: September 24, 2009, 07:23:01 pm »

About a week or so ago my previously smooth running W7 system started to have big problems. Explorer would most often hang when accessing folders with
big image files. I would get what I call the "Green Gallows Banner" ( it's the kiss of death and hangs everything) where the green progress bar would slow right down, the Explorer window would "not respond" and worse still this affected other Explorer windows and the system as a whole, basically the whole machine becomes unresponsive. I'm testing everything, hardware and software, but I really think it's a bug in W7 Explorer and it must have been introduced by a recent update. I foolishly had updates set to auto. My hardware is fine as XP on another partition works fine, with exactly the same folders and files. I've always noted that in XP, it takes forever to build a thumbnail database but this doesn't affect the operation of the Explorer window, in W7 it would seem to do so. There seem to be other comments on the web about this problem in W7 and Vista, but I'd be interested to know if other W7 users have noticed this, especially if it has occurred only recently.

DArmand

• http://
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 10:00:48 pm »

I'm using Win RC1 and have no problems. With large image files - mine are mostly around 50-70mb TIF's or jpegs -  thumbnails show up almost instantly. All icon sizes no problem. Though I don't normally have more than 50 image in any one folder. How many images do you have in a folder?.

I also have Win 7 updates set to automatic.
Doug Armand

Pete_G

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 04:10:28 pm »

Quote from: DArmand
I'm using Win RC1 and have no problems. With large image files - mine are mostly around 50-70mb TIF's or jpegs -  thumbnails show up almost instantly. All icon sizes no problem. Though I don't normally have more than 50 image in any one folder. How many images do you have in a folder?.

I also have Win 7 updates set to automatic.

The number of images in the affected folders was small, around 50 or so, they were large files though, between 300MB -800MB (they were completed images with all the layers. I have folders that have upwards of 900 files in them but it would seem it's the size of the files rather than the amount.

I think I've tracked down the problem though. I have shared these folders with XP, which builds a database for the thumbnails into a file called thumbs.db, this resides in the same folder. W7 doesn't like thumbs.db files (it creates thumbnail databases too, but stores them centrally), so the solution is to delete the XP thumbs.db files, THEN allow W7 plenty of time (about 10 minutes on a 50 file folder) to build it's database. After all this has taken place the system seems happy. I think it is poor design of the part of MS, these kind of things should not bring a system to
it's knees, they have to come up with something a little more sophisticated.
Pages: [1]   Go Up