Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gels that dont Melt  (Read 3400 times)

JoeKitchen

Gels that dont Melt
« on: September 24, 2009, 02:19:00 pm »

Does any one know of a company that makes gels which will not melt, crinkle, burn, evaporate, etc. in fresnel lights?  I have tried out a few different brands, even one made for the lights, and have been unsuccessful in finding any.  If you know of any, could you tell me the brand and where I could get them.
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

TMARK

Gels that dont Melt
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 05:51:00 pm »

Roscoe.

Don't place the gel right on the face of the fresnel. Space it with the barn doors. Use clothes pins to secure the gel to the barn doors, or use gaf tape.

pixjohn

Gels that dont Melt
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 08:42:35 pm »

They use to sell a glass gels that can be used on hot lights, they where also fade resistant. If I remember they cost around $100

Fritzer

Gels that dont Melt
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 05:36:00 am »

Quote from: TMARK
Roscoe.

Don't place the gel right on the face of the fresnel. Space it with the barn doors. Use clothes pins to secure the gel to the barn doors, or use gaf tape.

Ditto; I'm using wooden cloth pins, though, the bigger hotlights can heat up the barn doors as well.

There are some gels by Lee and Rosco that are more heat resistant, and glass filters available for some lights; you can also have simple glass filters custom made by some of the filter manufacturers, shouldn't be overly expensive.

Fixingshadows

Gels that dont Melt
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 07:17:13 am »

roscoe sell a material called heat shield it is a very useful filter for protecting other filters I use it to protect polarisers it prolongs the life of pol filters by years. It is important to have a light air space between the heat shield and the other filter

JoeKitchen

Gels that dont Melt
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 07:29:06 pm »

Thanks, I will have to look into the roscoe gels and the heat shields.
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

GregShapps

• http://www.shappsphotography.com
Gels that dont Melt
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 11:08:36 pm »

Lee Filter makes a better grade of gel then Roscoe does - and they certainly don't crinkle like Roscoe does.

Here is Lee's High Temperature Filters:
[a href=\'index.php?showtopic=0\']http://www.leefiltersusa.com/lighting/products/finder/ref:C46544C3EE7295/[/a]

Rob C

Gels that dont Melt
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 10:20:07 am »

Okay, I now that it has rained for about three weeks on end; I know that I have lots of things to do as soon as the place dries out again, but I couldn't help thinking: in this thread, how different it would read if you were to substitue gals for gels.

As I said, it has rained a lot.

Rob C

Fritzer

Gels that dont Melt
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 06:21:04 pm »

Quote from: Fixingshadows
roscoe sell a material called heat shield it is a very useful filter for protecting other filters I use it to protect polarisers it prolongs the life of pol filters by years. It is important to have a light air space between the heat shield and the other filter

Good point, actually everything between the light source and the gel will greatly reduce heat issues, clear glass, clear gels etc..
As you said, there always needs to be a gap between the layers for the trick to be effective .
Pages: [1]   Go Up