Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP Professional Matt Canvas Discontinued  (Read 1629 times)

monkeybusinessimages

HP Professional Matt Canvas Discontinued
« on: September 24, 2009, 09:32:23 am »

I've just been told the HP Professional Matt Canvas has been Discontinued.

Can anyone recommend an alternative for a HP z3100 24"?

Thanks

Dan

deanwork

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 09:39:51 am »

Yes, a lot of us out here are using Breathing Color Chromata canvas and their varnish on the Z3100. It is a better canvas anyway. I've also used Frederick 901WR with perfect results. They both profile easily with the on board spectro in my experience.

john

Quote from: monkeybusinessimages
I've just been told the HP Professional Matt Canvas has been Discontinued.

Can anyone recommend an alternative for a HP z3100 24"?

Thanks

Dan

monkeybusinessimages

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 07:44:42 am »

Thanks.

I havent used a varnish before.

I see they have a gloss and matte varnish. I guess I should get both, and 2 rollers to apply it?

Is it easy to apply? What are the benefits?

Thanks

deanwork

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 09:35:12 am »

One way or another all canvas has to be varnished.

With my Breathing Color acrylic stuff I use 2/3 matte and 1/3 gloss mixed. Then dilute that with 50% distilled water.

I use an hplv spray gun and give three light coats in a row. Yes, you can also use one of the rounded end foam paint brushes to apply it. That uses more varnish but does work.
The BC company has a video showing the application on their website.  The cheapest hplv spray gun I've found is the Wagner that costs about $70.00 at Home Depot.
If you are going to do a lot of this kind of work it pays to buy a better unit like any of the Fuji Mini Mite units that start at about $700.00 I believe. http://www.fujispray.com/hvlp_systems.htm

But rolling it on works well if you take your time. You simply pour a lot of the varnish on the canvas and follow their directions then walking away and  not over working it. It is self leveling if it is still wet.

In a pinch here is the option of spraying the canvas with one of the aerisol cans like Premier Art, etc. That will protect it, but nowhere near as good as the canvas varnish and it ends up being a lot more expensive and toxic.

john

Quote from: monkeybusinessimages
Thanks.

I havent used a varnish before.

I see they have a gloss and matte varnish. I guess I should get both, and 2 rollers to apply it?

Is it easy to apply? What are the benefits?

Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up