Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EMERGENCY HELP/ BALL HEAD NEEDED IN ARIZONA  (Read 6649 times)

EMERGENCY HELP/ BALL HEAD NEEDED IN ARIZONA
« on: May 21, 2004, 07:37:51 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']I doubt that you'll find a store with an Arca style head anywhere in the area but Phoenix or Las Vegas, and even then possibly not.

You might try a store like B&H Photo or Adorama and have them FedEx one to your hotel in the next town that you plan on visiting, such as Page. The problem is convincing them to do this. They usually won't. One way to accomplish this is to have them phone your home number (the one that the credit card company has listed for you) and have someone there verify that you are you and that the order is ligitimate. Failing that have them FedEx the head to your wife or office and then have them FedEx it to you at your motel. This will only add a day.

This same problem with the Arca Swiss once happened to me. Here's a temporary field fix. Screw the knob all the way closed. Now, start to unscrew it while applying pressure outwards on the clamping plate that should be unscrewing.

The problem is that the screw has become detached from the plate, but by putting pressure on the plate as it opens you'll make it move.

You can now attached it to the camera normally, tighten it up and simply leave the camera body attached for the rest of the trip.

Hope this helps.

Michael[/font]

didger

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2004, 03:07:23 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']If the problem is still unsolved and you're near Page, I would suggest you go to Michael Fatali's gallery.  You can find where that is by asking around in town or look it up in the phone book.  If there's anywhere in the general area where you can get what you're looking for, Michael would know.  He might even have something himself that he's not using.  His gallery is in any case immensly worth visiting.  Huge prints from 8x10 film.[/font]

didger

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2004, 10:07:03 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']
Michael Fatali is in Springdale, Utah
Last I knew he had a gallery in Springdale and in Page. He was living in Page and wasn't in his store that much, but could be reached by phone most of the time.[/font]

libertygh

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2004, 12:08:32 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']You have my sympathy.

I have had my AS ball head in repair/cleaning/clamp replacement twice.  Bob Watkins' repair business is at this web site below.  I highly recommend his services. Prices are fair and I think he is the only source for AS repair in the US. (Since you are north of us, I am not sure on his service range includes you follks.)

He is easy to talk with but he is, I believe, a one man operation so you will need a day or two for a call back.  He deals with RRS and Kirk for their accessories so you should be able to get full service at his shop.  Here is his web site.

http://precisioncameraworks.com/Pages/contact.html

Good Luck[/font]

khurram1

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2004, 11:44:59 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']hi..i am in monument valley right now...ive got an arca-swiss B1 ball head but the knob that loosens or tightens the camera plate is not working. when loosining the knob the knob just unscrewes instead of tighting or loosening the plate clamp. im at the start of a 25 day trip through utah, arizona, and wyoming, and i will be going to page arizona tommorow to shoot the slot canyons but i can't do much without a tripod on this whole trip.

i would REALLY appreciate if somebody could let me know, if there is a camera store that i would be able to get my head fixed, or purchase a tripod head (preferably arca-swiss type plate). Ive checked around the towns around monument valley, and there is no stores around. i would really appreciate if someone could let me know if there is any camera store in towns within the region where either i can get it fixed or purchase a new head.

if there is a store around, i would also appreciate if anyone has any recomendations for a less expensive ball head that takes arca-swiss type plates (all my cameras have Really Right Stuff plates).[/font]

Curt

• www.pbase.com/cwphoto
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2004, 08:28:29 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']I can't positively identify the problem from here, but...
It appears that you have a screw loose, in the A-S head, not yours.
I would try a drop of Loctite if available. If not, use a glue substitute, not epoxy though.[/font]

camilla

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2004, 07:38:05 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']Hi
I wonder if you were able to resolve the problem. I'm sorry I didn't see the posting before or could have sent you some suggestions from the photo store I deal with in NY. I was there yesterday. Michael Fatali is in Springdale, Utah, and he is rarely there. I would suggest Flagstaff as an option where you could find a store. If you still have the problem, give us an idea of whether you were able to resolve. If you get a chance call me on my 800 number, 1800 666 4655 and then another 5 as a pin and maybe I can help somehow. I know what the frustration is with porblems in equipment. I was in Monuyment Valley with 3 cameras a few years ago and they all died on me, at the same time.  Impossible to resolve locally but I have a marvelous photo store and they Fedexed all new equipment to me immediately. Take care and good luck[/font]

Khurram

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2004, 01:20:49 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']thanks to all those who responded to my call for help.  Michael i followed your suggestion, and it seemed to do the trick most of the time, enough anyways for me to be able to use the tripod.  i ended up not switching cameras as much (between the xpan and 1v), and it was a real pain switching between vertical and horizontical on the 1v (using the RRS L bracket), because it always seemed to cause the most problem at sunrise time, when there was little time to fiddle with the problem knob.

Now that I am back homem does anyone know of what a good permanent fix would be??  I ordered from Adoroma, and from past expereience it's generally a pain to ship something back to the USA for repairs (customs/duty complications)  I'm in calgary (Canada), and the arca-swiss is usually not in stock at the two main camera stores (The camera store, and Vistek - although vistek finally did get it in stock after i ordered from Adoroma).

Does the whole QR plate system usually need to be replaced or is there something that can be done to fix the problem?[/font]
----
[url=http://www.pbase.com/kssphotog

howard smith

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2004, 09:20:53 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']There is a pretty good camera store in St. George UT.  I got a quick disconnect plate there.  No idea what else they have.

I wouldn't count on any help from Fatali.  He wouldn't even share what kind of film he used or where he got it prossesed, let alone a piece of hardware.  I didn't ask though.  Maybe he is more generous with his stuff than with information.

Sounds like a more reliable ball head might be a consideration.  I have  Manfrotto, but it is better than a broken AS.[/font]

Khurram

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2004, 01:23:03 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']Thanks for letting me know about Bob Watkins.  I called them up, and if i don't find anybody locally, i'm going to send my head out to them.

I can't believe all of the problems i'm having this year.

I just bought the arca-swiss and a Gitzo 1228 MK2 tripod a  around 4months ago, and am having problems with both.  

One of the legs on my Gitzo tripod keeps jamming up as well.

Prior to this during the 4 years plus I had a manfrotto 055nature tripod and a foba superball head, i never had a single problem.  Only reason i made the switch was to cut down on the weight and bulk, but after paying around $800 more for the arca-swiss and Gitzo then what i sold the foba and manfrotto for, i'm really regretting it.

I don't think i ever head a problem with my older manfrotto 120, and slik grip ball head.[/font]
----
[url=http://www.pbase.com/kssphotog
Pages: [1]   Go Up