Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Focusing D3 / D3x  (Read 4317 times)

reburns

• Ralph E Burns Photography
Focusing D3 / D3x
« on: September 24, 2009, 08:27:20 am »

G'day!

This weekend I'm renting a D3x out for a test drive (and 12-24, 24-70, 85mm, and 70-200).  I haven't used a Nikon since my F2, and would just like your recommendation for focus settings.  I've downloaded the PDF manual as the dang rental outfit won't send the manual along with the camera, and won't have much time to experiment before:

1)  Friday night high school football game for some parent friends.  Their kid is ranked #1 linebacker in the state and keeps catching interceptions.  I figure focus on continuous-servo, but how about 9-point Dynamic Area AF?  Or do I want Single-Point AF?  There will often be bodies in the foreground and I'll have to keep the subject in the frame center and crop away later for artistic framing.  It'll probably be with the 70-200/f2.8.

Over the other shoulder will be slung the usual Canon + 200mm/f2 so I won't be like a fish out of water.

2)  Flyfishing weekend on the Encampment & N. Platte Rivers near Saratoga Wyoming, both drift boat and wading with some veteran flyfishers.  The money shot I'd like is the trout rising out of the water with the background compressed via telephoto.  Focusing is probably not too different from shooting the football game.  I also want night starlit sky + hills + camp shots.

Thanks, Ralph

Jeremy Payne

Focusing D3 / D3x
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 10:11:03 am »

reburns

Focusing D3 / D3x
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 01:08:39 pm »

Quote from: Jeremy Payne
did you download this?
http://nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/dslr/D3ProTechnicalGuide.pdf
That guide is spot-on!         I didn't find it myself in the manual download, so thank you!  - Ralph
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 01:09:07 pm by reburns »

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Focusing D3 / D3x
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 06:35:57 pm »

Quote from: reburns
That guide is spot-on!         I didn't find it myself in the manual download, so thank you!  - Ralph

I think it's the same as every "pro" SLR - switch it to the all-auto big white square setting and it will usually provide decent images.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

MarkL

Focusing D3 / D3x
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 07:20:27 pm »

Quote from: eronald
I think it's the same as every "pro" SLR - switch it to the all-auto big white square setting and it will usually provide decent images.

Edmund

But often focused on the wrong thing

reburns

Focusing D3 / D3x
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 01:39:17 am »

Seems one must just pick center spot for the targeted individual and crop away later for desired composure.  Anyway, at tonight's game I don't think the Nikkor 70-200/f2.8 was a fair match compared to focusing the Canon 200/f2, even on a 5DII.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Focusing D3 / D3x
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 05:16:31 am »

Seems one must just pick center spot for the targeted individual and crop away later for desired composure.  Anyway, at tonight's game I don't think the Nikkor 70-200/f2.8 was a fair match compared to focusing the Canon 200/f2, even on a 5DII.

I always use single-spot myself on the D3x, and find the off-center focus spots works well. Focus is the one distinguishing feature between Canon and Nikon, in my experience. The only real issue with Nikon Focus is it will lock on hi-contrast subjects behind your main subject.

The weird thing is, I had a Canon 1Ds, and focus there always worked fine, the problems started in the later models.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

reburns

Focusing D3 / D3x
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 11:07:43 am »

Another question:  on the D3x there is a dial setting for mirror-lockup, and also a setting for timer-release.  Can you do both at once?  I.e. if I want to do mirror lock-up on a tripod but don't have a cable release handy, how do I do time release including mirror lock-up?  On the 5DII I go into My Menu and select mirror lock-up, then put the drive mode on 2 second timer, then when the shutter button is pressed the mirror first goes up then after 2 seconds the shutter opens.

Jeremy Payne

Focusing D3 / D3x
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 12:48:54 pm »

Another question:  on the D3x there is a dial setting for mirror-lockup, and also a setting for timer-release.  Can you do both at once?  I.e. if I want to do mirror lock-up on a tripod but don't have a cable release handy, how do I do time release including mirror lock-up?  On the 5DII I go into My Menu and select mirror lock-up, then put the drive mode on 2 second timer, then when the shutter button is pressed the mirror first goes up then after 2 seconds the shutter opens.
If you set mirror lock up, the first shutter click flips the mirror and the second the shutter.

If you do the first click, but not the second ... the camera trips the shutter 30 seconds later - in effect giving you MLU with a 30 second timer.

reburns

Focusing D3 / D3x
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 01:14:37 pm »

If you set mirror lock up, the first shutter click flips the mirror and the second the shutter.
If you do the first click, but not the second ... the camera trips the shutter 30 seconds later - in effect giving you MLU with a 30 second timer.
That was my understanding thank you... so that way to do a pano of three images without a cable takes 1-1/2 minutes instead of 10 or so seconds.  Better tote along that cable!  I think Nikon miffed that on just a bit there... plus the threaded cable is dang fiddly.  I'm attracted to the camera in some ways, like some upcoming Nikon glass and DR, and less so for other qualities.

The maximum exposure bracketing step is 1EV, right?  Of course I see that you can take 9 bracketed shots (for +/-4EV max?).

Jeremy Payne

Focusing D3 / D3x
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 01:53:02 pm »

That was my understanding thank you... so that way to do a pano of three images without a cable takes 1-1/2 minutes instead of 10 or so seconds.  Better tote along that cable!  I think Nikon miffed that on just a bit there... plus the threaded cable is dang fiddly.  I'm attracted to the camera in some ways, like some upcoming Nikon glass and DR, and less so for other qualities.

The maximum exposure bracketing step is 1EV, right?  Of course I see that you can take 9 bracketed shots (for +/-4EV max?).

Another option is the shutter delay in the settings ... you can set it to trip the shutter 2 seconds after you click.

Yeah ... 1EV spacing max ... really wish you could do bigger spacing.

HarryHoffman

• http://www.harrywhoffman.com
Focusing D3 / D3x
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2009, 03:59:21 pm »

Don't forget to use 12bit raw files and you can get close to 5 FPS
14 bit gets less that 2 FPS

reburns

Focusing D3 / D3x
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2009, 04:12:43 pm »

Another option is the shutter delay in the settings ... you can set it to trip the shutter 2 seconds after you click.

But no mirror up while doing that?  Thanks for your answers... I returned the rental yesterday so am flying with the PDF manual with any purchasing thoughts.  More so I'll review some photos taken.  And waiting a few more weeks to see if the rumored D3s comes to fruition and is of interest (rumors, rumors, rumors).  

Jeremy Payne

Focusing D3 / D3x
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2009, 04:32:59 pm »

But no mirror up while doing that?  Thanks for your answers... I returned the rental yesterday so am flying with the PDF manual with any purchasing thoughts.  More so I'll review some photos taken.  And waiting a few more weeks to see if the rumored D3s comes to fruition and is of interest (rumors, rumors, rumors).

The shutter delay works in all modes - even MLU ...

So - if you want - you can raise the mirror with the first click and then when you hit it the second time, there would be a 2-second delay before the shutter fired.

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
Focusing D3 / D3x
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2009, 05:14:15 pm »

I believe the Exposure Delay is 1 second, not 2. On older cameras it was even less, but starting with the D3 and D300 they increased it to 1 second.
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

Jeremy Payne

Focusing D3 / D3x
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2009, 05:24:31 pm »

Quote from: JeffKohn
I believe the Exposure Delay is 1 second, not 2. On older cameras it was even less, but starting with the D3 and D300 they increased it to 1 second.
You're right, Jeff ... my bad, one second it is ...
Pages: [1]   Go Up