Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: choosing a 24" H-IPS HP-Dell-or another?  (Read 9200 times)

Rocco Penny

choosing a 24" H-IPS HP-Dell-or another?
« on: September 23, 2009, 10:01:42 pm »

I'm going to purchase a 24 inch monitor for photo editing
I've been thinking the less expensive H-IPS models would suit my needs for now.
So I'd like any direction any of you may lend to put me on the right track to making a purchase I'll be satisfied with.
So do any of you think the Dell 24" u2410 or the HP lp2475w are suitable for photoediting?
Or should I wait to save enough for a higher end model?
Seriously, I'll get by with what I have before I'll toss good dough at a mediocre tool.
I'd like an excellent photo editing monitor for a good price.
I just don't know exactly what to do.
I'd really appreciate any input.
Thank you,
Rocco

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 09:05:07 am »

Quote from: Rocco Penny
So do any of you think the Dell 24" u2410 or the HP lp2475w are suitable for photoediting?
I've heard people answer "yes" to this... But I'm interested in something more definite.
i'll add the Philips 240PW9 in the lot as it as the same panel (LG LM240WU4).

Another question (from what I've heard too) about these H-IPS monitors : What about panel uniformity? Does it varies when the same panel is used by different brands? Quality control, at least, should vary... And the HP's at least are not praised for that.
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

Rocco Penny

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 11:28:18 am »

Dell no longer offers a 24 inch H-IPS according to "Zach" at Dell's small business services.
So back to HP
I'd go for a thousand dollar monitor, but it'd be the nicest thing in my house fer gosh's sake
the 600 dollar hp looks fine.
I'll upgrade later if it has to happen and write it off as experience

mmurph

• http://
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 11:47:51 am »

The Dell u2410 is an IPS. Brand new. You can find it at Dell Small Business if you do a search.

Best price I have seen is $475 or around there. Wide gamut, should be the best monitor Dell has ever made. Look around for reviews.

Alejandro

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 10:48:33 am »

Quote from: mmurph
The Dell u2410 is an IPS. Brand new. You can find it at Dell Small Business if you do a search.

Best price I have seen is $475 or around there. Wide gamut, should be the best monitor Dell has ever made. Look around for reviews.
Hi everyone, i'm new to this forum.... Very interesting post in this place!!!

I'm really interested as well on The Dell 2410 waiting to know any review or moré concrete commets... ¿how it is compared to The nec2490wuxi or The. Lacie 324????? Big diferents or not???

Thanks in advance,

regards

Plekto

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 12:11:29 am »

It has the exact same panel as the Viewsonic 24 inch, though I'm not sure which exact model...   IIRC, there are only 3 or 4 panel makers anyways, so it's really a matter of which panel and what goodies are on the case at this point.

Rocco Penny

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 10:48:04 am »

150 pages of LP2475W gibberish

Umm if you can spend the time, by page fifty or so you'll know much more than you do now.
The Dell isn't available according to "Zach" at Dell's small and medium business services department.  Some woman answered the phone, couldn't answer my queries, connected me with "Zach" who then told me the u2410 hasn't been available for many months, his exact quote was "last year".
So, I did what any person with any business acumen would do and took my business elsewhere.
The HP is widely available and 3 year warranty for US$529 free shipping makes it a no brainer

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 01:39:10 pm »

I've had good luck with Dell in the past, so I have focused on their better offerings.  There are a few interesting options shown in the Dell site:

UltraSharp 2408WFP $449
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/product...mp;sku=320-6272
this one is not an IPS display.  It is a TFT, but it claims the 110% color gamut like the 2410 does.  My guess is that it will be discontinued for the 2410.

UltraSharp U2410 $549
On the 2410, they extend that claim to include Adobe RGB presets, and it is an IPS display.
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/product...mp;sku=320-8277

I am guessing that these two displays are exceedingly similar in performance.  Both the 2408 and the 2410 claimsthe same 110% color gamut but the 2410 adds the claim that they have 96% coverage of Adobe RGB.  I am not sure, but I think these are two ways to say the same thing.  

One triviality that the 2408 has is a CF card reader built-in.  the 2410 only has the smaller SD flash formats in its reader.  I know that isn't exactly quality-related, but it is a minor annoyance.
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

jpegman

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 06:11:45 pm »

Another candidate to put in the monitor pot is the new NEC P221

http://www.necdisplay.com/Products/Product...6a-ca1c522e6cbf

As a 22" wide gamut alternative to the 2490 at a LP of $750 (and retailing for about $500), it seems to fit in

Jpegman

ChasP505

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 05:23:38 pm »

No one has mentioned that the Dell U2410 has a 12 bit LUT.
Chas P.

Rocco Penny

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 01:41:36 pm »

Quote from: ChasP505
No one has mentioned that the Dell U2410 has a 12 bit LUT.

hhehhe
mmmm, one should take one's time making a purchase intended to last some time.
I of course made the purchase of a HP LP2475W, taking into consideration Dell's position that was, as stated by "Zach" at that time, that they had no U2410 and I was mistaken.
Well, they do have a U2410, and it is indeed as mentioned by Chas in the preceding post a 12 bit screen.
The HP is an 8 bit, and I haven't seen the 1=billion color screen in front of me yet.
The HP is a respectable enough screen,
but there is a definite color cast or fringe or mercury vapor looking oddness in the right side of the screen.
On a white background check it out.
I'm saying the HP tech that was bringing my new LP2475w has mentioned he's seen this problem, there are only refurbished units, and I probably will see the same pinkish cast on any new screen he brings.
He opened the one he was supplied with as my replacement, opened it, hooked it up, and says he can see the pink screen differential on that one as well.
Maybe I should have HP ship any screen straight to me, and save the trouble of having an HP tech do the wiring and packing is what he suggests.
That maybe there is a screen out there that won't have the cast, but he isn't sure.
So, contemplating what to do and how to best proceed to a solution.
Considering the U2410 is less expensive than the refurbs I'll be getting from here out, the best solution for me is a refund.
Opinions?
Thanks
Rocco

Rocco Penny

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 08:24:53 am »

Well after relaxing my mind over this,
I managed to figure some things out on my own.
When I first posted regarding entry level IPS screens,
I had very little knowledge regarding them.
I still have wide gaps knowing how they work, and how to properly use one,
but I have learned;
1) there is no shortcut to quality. A consumer graphics card will work as your color management, but apparently the 12 bit LUT integral to the u2410 is a superior tool for the job.
In the easiest terms, I believe the 12 bit lut has the ability to assign a finer adjustment to the final screen output in a color managed workflow.
So even though the screens share the same 8 bit image output, in fact from what I surmise, they may be the same screen but for the u2410 possibly being newer/different batch of screens and obviously containing the internal lut making the u2410 have more colors in the tables with which to choose to output.

2)the least expensive 10 or 12 bit output screens are around 1000 dollars, twice as much as these entry level models.

3)LuLa has been giving me the tools I need to navigate this unknown realm.

4)if you don't know, you probably never will.

I have the opportunity to build a studio. Seriously-
I'm not going to pussyfoot with HP today.
I want a new monitor without the pink cast.
They're offering a refurbished model, supposedly back from the factory.
BS the last one they sent had 3 hours on the backlight meter, someone else's pink elephant no doubt.
So unless they offer something substantially better than a refurbished maybe pink screen,
I need my CC credited, and they can take the screen I have and try to pawn it off on some other sucker as a refurbished unit.
I want to build up here, not cost anyone, so if they can do the right thing, I will too.
I committed to an HP because of unfriendly and poor service from Dell, and that HP has always been GREAT in my ownership plan, just if this is where we're going to be today,
I just want a new screen, or my CC credited.
Does this sound reasonable?
I appreciate any insight.
Rocco

RichardLechner

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2010, 03:31:39 am »

Seems like there are a lot of problems with getting a good screen these days. Weather it be Dell U2410 (read the forums) Apple iMacs (read Mac Rumors)  

I have been looking at LaCie referbs. Seems you can get a high end monitor for not a whole lot of money. Check it out here
Pages: [1]   Go Up