Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lens for birding  (Read 2773 times)

Bill Jaynes

Lens for birding
« on: September 22, 2009, 12:09:20 pm »

Hello,
Can someone recommend an inexpensive and reliable lens for shooting birds? [Canon 5D v1] I'm prepared to buy used and would like something that gets to between 300 and 400mm. I've been reading about Canon's 75-300 which is priced well but gets pretty poor reviews.
Thanks for any thoughts.
Best regards,
Bill Jaynes [url=http://ww

Dave Gurtcheff

Lens for birding
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 12:26:42 pm »

Quote from: Bill Jaynes
Hello,
Can someone recommend an inexpensive and reliable lens for shooting birds? [Canon 5D v1] I'm prepared to buy used and would like something that gets to between 300 and 400mm. I've been reading about Canon's 75-300 which is priced well but gets pretty poor reviews.
Thanks for any thoughts.
The Canon 400mm f5.6 L is really really first rate. It is light and can be hand held, but comes with tripod collar. I use mine often with a monopod , ball head and quick release. KEH has a used one for $999. Lot of money, but a superior lens.
Dave Gurtcheff
www.modernpictorials.com

Bill Jaynes

Lens for birding
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 12:54:43 pm »

Thanks David,
That was one I had my eye on. Maybe I'll save up for it.

Quote from: Dave Gurtcheff
The Canon 400mm f5.6 L is really really first rate. It is light and can be hand held, but comes with tripod collar. I use mine often with a monopod , ball head and quick release. KEH has a used one for $999. Lot of money, but a superior lens.
Dave Gurtcheff
www.modernpictorials.com
Best regards,
Bill Jaynes [url=http://ww

nstop

Lens for birding
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 01:35:35 pm »

Don't waste your money on the 75-300.  The 70-300 is a vastly superior lens, but I think you'll find 300mm is really too short for birds with a full frame sensor anyway.

(If you insist on throwing money away, my 75-300 is available.  It hasn't been touched since I got my 70-300 several years ago.  )

Brian

DarkPenguin

Lens for birding
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 03:00:18 pm »

Quote from: nstop
Don't waste your money on the 75-300.  The 70-300 is a vastly superior lens, but I think you'll find 300mm is really too short for birds with a full frame sensor anyway.

(If you insist on throwing money away, my 75-300 is available.  It hasn't been touched since I got my 70-300 several years ago.  )

Brian

I wouldn't use the 70-300 at 300.  Not thrilled with it over 200.

As to the 75-300 it really is horrible.

stever

Lens for birding
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 04:21:08 pm »

i find that anything less than 600mm is short for birds and that you may want to consider a crop frame camera (that said i see little difference between a crop from the 5D2 and a 40D image - hope the 7D is noticeably better).  Getting to 600mm on ff is very expensive and heavy.  

The other alternative is a spotting scope (particularly for small birds) - about which i know pretty nearly nothing.

as usual, i'd recommend renting a lens and trying it in the field to see if it works for you

i agree on the 75-300 and 70-300 - they are both too short and too soft

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
Lens for birding
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 06:18:24 pm »

And you may lose a lot of shots waiting for the 70-300 to autofocus.
The 400mm f5.6 autofocus is fast. It is sharp and affordable compared to most of the other options for a quality lens. You can hand hold it at fast shutter speeds (I rest it over my left elbow).
Downsides are:
1)Long minimum focus distance. If a bird lands on a branch within 11 feet you will be cursing.
2)Not a zoom. You need to practise finding BIF. At the beginning you may be waving the thing all over the sky trying to find your target.
3)No IS. I use a Manfrotto 685b monopod which gives enough support down to maybe 1/300th sec and is quick to adjust.
I think the fast autofocus is a good trade-off compared to a slow zoom, but sometimes miss the ability to locate the bird at 100mm and then zoom in.
David

telyt

Lens for birding
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 07:59:47 am »

Quote from: Bill Jaynes
Can someone recommend an inexpensive and reliable lens for shooting birds?

This is almost like asking for a recommendation for a lens for photographing people.  A good lens choice will depend on your approach skills, the size/kind of birds, the kind of photos you wish to make, and of course your budget for a lens.

For example: are you interested in documenting rarities?  BIF?  nesting behavior?  fine art (i.e., well-composed, rich color, exceptional detail) photos?  How good are you at getting close to birds?  Are you interested in tiny passerines, herons in Florida, hawks at a migration point?  What sort of habitats are you likely to encounter?  Dense brush, deep forests, open plains?  The answers to all these questions (and more) will point toward a variety of lenses.  I typically use lenses from 280mm to 560mm.  Much of the time the 280mm lens is on the short side of usable but in other situations it's just the right thing; the 560mm lens is manual-focus, relatively slow, relatively affordable, very portable and perhaps my most productive lens.

ecemfjm

• http://www.manuelfernando.es
Lens for birding
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 03:22:10 pm »

Quote from: Dave Gurtcheff
The Canon 400mm f5.6 L is really really first rate.

Totally agree. I'll go for this lens. It is so sharp that that for handheld shooting you should use no less than 1/1600, and 1/400 for tripod. This are the minimum speeds for my 5D MK2

Manuel

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
Lens for birding
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 08:17:51 pm »

Birding is my hobby, so I often take a 300/4 on a Canon 40D. This lets me shoot record shots of what I see. It's not even close to enough lens for serious bird photography, of course, but this combo makes decent photos.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/
Pages: [1]   Go Up