Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adhesive for sealing the back of a framed piece?  (Read 1295 times)

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
Adhesive for sealing the back of a framed piece?
« on: September 20, 2009, 12:34:43 pm »

Howdy everyone,

I've been doing a bunch of framing lately and everything's turning out nicely. The only problem I have is applying the kraft paper to the back to close up the back of the frame and make everything look nice and tidy.

According to my framing book you dampen the paper, glue the paper to the back, let it try, then trim. The dampen trick works great, after the paper dries I get a nice tight sheet of paper. The problem is with the glue. The softest touch causes the glue to unstick from the back of the frame and the paper is free.

I'm currently using the basic white glue that I use to assemble the frames. For the folks that do framing here, what's a better adhesive to use?

Thanks!

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

framah

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 01:38:22 pm »

What you need is ATG tape.  Do a google search for  ATG gun and you will find a few places that sell the tape and the dispenser gun.

Apply the tape to the back of the  frame and then flip the frame over and place it onto the paper.
Flip back over and burnish the tape in place. Burnishing helps activate the adhesive so it sticks better. Just running your finger or hand over it doesn't work.

While on the website, look for a paper trimmer. This will cut the excess paper from around the frame giving you a nice clean look.

Dampening the paper isn't a good idea as you will be imparting moisture into the package and that isn't what you want.
It is better for the paper to be snug which it will be when you lay the frame onto the paper.

You will probably screw it up the first couple of times but once you get the hang of it, it goes quickly.

Also, using glue to attach the paper makes it a real pain in the tookus to remove and clean up in prep to reassemble the frame package.

Sounds like you framing book is an older version.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 01:40:16 pm by framah »
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 02:57:46 pm »

That's who I was hoping would reply

I already have the ATG tape and gun for other framing tasks, and suspected that might be the answer. I also have the trimming knife. I'll give this a whirl, thanks!

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

larryg

• Larry gaskill photography
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 07:39:38 pm »

ATG tape is what my frame shop used  but in the old days we used to use white glue/let dry and then spray a mist on the paper to dry and shrink to a very tight fit.  (ATG tape is a double sided tape)

(ATG a lot quicker)
Pages: [1]   Go Up