Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Singh-Ray ND filter issue???  (Read 3101 times)

Khurram

Singh-Ray ND filter issue???
« on: September 19, 2009, 04:51:54 pm »

I think I've been having some issues with my 4x6 size Singh-Ray 5 stop ND filter. I seem to get a pink/purple or red color cast whenever I use this filter (the severity depends on the original skyl.

Here are some examples of just using a Singh-Ray ND grad, ND Grad plus 5 stop ND two shots and then right after with just the ND grad again. NOTE: I didn't bother cloning out the marks from the dirty sensor.

Anyone experienced this In this particular case the differences in exposure were about 2 sec expoures without the 5 stop Grad filter and 30 seconds with the filter. It was too windy to get a reflection, so I thought i'd use a ND filter for the water.  

I ended up with a lot of color cast across the top, which Initially thought might have been bcoz of moving clouds, but there is no way that there was that much movement that there would be a color cast over the entire sky and part of the peaks. Moreover, I also experienced this with much shorter exposures in the past. I also found that if i switched to my ND Vari-ND filter, i wouldn't have an issue. The problem is the Vari-ND is to too thick (i have slim version), to use with ultra-wide angle lenses.

Does this look like a quality control issue - should I be calling Singh-Ray
----
[url=http://www.pbase.com/kssphotog

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 05:26:15 pm »

That's certainly very strange, especially down by the rock where there should be no effect from the grad.  Makes me ask the obvious: Are you sure these were all processed the same way?

I find it hard to believe the filter can add that much color, even if it was designed to (which of course it isn't)! If you place it on a white sheet of paper, does the paper look off color like this?

Dave

Khurram

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 05:46:16 pm »

Quote from: dchew
That's certainly very strange, especially down by the rock where there should be no effect from the grad.  Makes me ask the obvious: Are you sure these were all processed the same way?

I find it hard to believe the filter can add that much color, even if it was designed to (which of course it isn't)! If you place it on a white sheet of paper, does the paper look off color like this?

Dave
There are no differences in processing.  In fact, I could see these effects on the LCD when i took the picture, which is why I removed the filter to see if it was the filter causing this issue, as I experienced the same issue a couple of other times.

The last time this occured was when I was shooting at Swift Current Falls in Glacier NP.  However, since I was not shooting as wide and didin't have to worry about vignetting, I swapped the 5 stop 4x6 ND filter for the Vari-ND grad (slim mount) and hand held my grads (which wasn't easy, since it was a round a 10 second exposure.  I didn't experience the issue with the Vari-ND at that time.

I'll try what you suggested and see if there is a color cast on a sheet of white paper when I get home.
----

Mike Boden

• http://www.mikeboden.com
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 05:48:07 pm »

Quote from: Khurram
I think I've been having some issues with my 4x6 size Singh-Ray 5 stop ND filter. I seem to get a pink/purple or red color cast whenever I use this filter (the severity depends on the original skyl.

Here are some examples of just using a Singh-Ray ND grad, ND Grad plus 5 stop ND two shots and then right after with just the ND grad again. NOTE: I didn't bother cloning out the marks from the dirty sensor.

Anyone experienced this In this particular case the differences in exposure were about 2 sec expoures without the 5 stop Grad filter and 30 seconds with the filter. It was too windy to get a reflection, so I thought i'd use a ND filter for the water.  

I ended up with a lot of color cast across the top, which Initially thought might have been bcoz of moving clouds, but there is no way that there was that much movement that there would be a color cast over the entire sky and part of the peaks. Moreover, I also experienced this with much shorter exposures in the past. I also found that if i switched to my ND Vari-ND filter, i wouldn't have an issue. The problem is the Vari-ND is to too thick (i have slim version), to use with ultra-wide angle lenses.

Does this look like a quality control issue - should I be calling Singh-Ray

Hi,

I suggest you call Bob at Sing-Ray and discuss it with him. There's always the possibility of a manufacturing defect, but the fact that you're stacking multiple ND filters will affect the color. I experienced a similar situation and discussed it with Bob. He mentioned that if I was trying to do something specific and provided examples, he could custom make a filter that corrected this color shift. I'm sure he can explain it a little more technically than I can at the moment. In my case, I was stacking multiple, solid, non-grad ND filters. I experienced a color cast as result, which was probably also affected by the film I was using. Nonetheless, once scanned into the computer, I corrected the color in Photoshop.

Good luck.
Mike Boden - www.mikeboden.com
Instagram

francois

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 06:44:31 pm »

I would also suggest that you contact Singh-Ray. I've stacked two 3-stops Singh-Ray filters and never experienced such results.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 06:45:04 pm by francois »
Francois

Khurram

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 08:16:56 pm »

Mike/Francois,
Thanks for your response and advice! I definately will get into contact with Bob at Singh-Ray tomorrow.

I also had someone on another forum direct me to the following link regarding Magenta casts with the 5DII when using multiple ND filters that others may found useful:
http://www.naturescapes.net/phpBB3/viewtop...050&start=0

However, i'm not sure if that is the extent of the issue i'm seeing, since i had similar issues when using my 1DIII last year.
----
Pages: [1]   Go Up