Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 9900 ink used on different resolutions  (Read 2133 times)

RandomJoe

9900 ink used on different resolutions
« on: September 18, 2009, 09:18:15 pm »

Does anyone have a good idea on the different ink usage , on the different resolutions

say i was printing a 13x19 3 times.. each a different res

how much ink do you think each mode would use?

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 05:30:00 am »

Quote from: RandomJoe
Does anyone have a good idea on the different ink usage , on the different resolutions

Roughly one could expect the same ink amount used for different dpi resolutions if a printer can use the same profile for different resolutions. The last hasn't been common on the older models but is common on recent wide formats of different brands. The variation in droplet sizes already compensates the droplet frequency, more minimum droplet sizes at a higher resolution. What remains is the difference in dotgain area between small and big droplets, curves in the firmware or driver should compensate the optical effect of that so the same profile can be used. The optical effect will not be 1:1 to the ink amount but in practice it will not be significant on your ink cost estimates either. Processing-printing time will make more impact, not to mention the cleaning rituals on the x900 models.

Take 3 sheets, mark them, put each on a scale before and right after printing and count the weight differences.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 05:33:03 am by Ernst Dinkla »

MHMG

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 09:29:16 am »

Quote from: Ernst Dinkla
Roughly one could expect the same ink amount used for different dpi resolutions if a printer can use the same profile for different resolutions. The last hasn't been common on the older models but is common on recent wide formats of different brands.

Ernst, thanks for this information. That any printer manufacturer is re-purposing a profile or recommending this practice over different resolution settings is news to me. Based on my experience to date with keeping printers and profiles running precisely over extended periods of time, it sounds like a recipe for "good is good enough" printmaking, but not a recipe for getting the highest achievable accuracy. For that, more day-to-day quality control with instrumentation and purpose-built profiles still seems appropriate.

cheers,

Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com

bradleygibson

• http://GibsonPhotographic.com
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 03:13:17 pm »

Quote from: RandomJoe

I don't know exact figures, but both Epson and Colorbyte have indicated to me that higher resolution does indeed use more ink (with Epson's driver, on a previous generation printer).

There was also an indication that at 2880 dpi, the print engine uses only the minimum droplet size, and is no longer variable. Also previous generaton printer using ImagePrint (I assumed that this last was an Epson limitation but I have not confrmed any of this.)

The printers do offer accurate metering, though--it might be simple enough to confirm by running the same image 3 times at 8x10 at the different resolutions to be sure...
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 10:59:01 am by bradleygibson »
-Brad
 [url=http://GibsonPhotographic.com

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 08:08:26 am »

Quote from: Ernst Dinkla
What remains is the difference in dotgain area between small and big droplets, curves in the firmware or driver should compensate the optical effect of that so the same profile can be used.
Alas, this may be an ideal principle, but down in this valley of tears I can see a noticeable difference in color and tone between the different resolution settings, at least with my now-old and low-end Epson R1800. Perhaps this is better implemented in other brands?
And it might be useful to add that I'm think I'm nowhere near as color-picky as many here : if I can notice it, you will.
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 05:34:52 pm »

Quote from: MHMG
Ernst, thanks for this information. That any printer manufacturer is re-purposing a profile or recommending this practice over different resolution settings is news to me. Based on my experience to date with keeping printers and profiles running precisely over extended periods of time, it sounds like a recipe for "good is good enough" printmaking, but not a recipe for getting the highest achievable accuracy. For that, more day-to-day quality control with instrumentation and purpose-built profiles still seems appropriate.

cheers,

Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com

Mark,

That day to day control could be the calibration per paper / paper batch. Epson though is telling us that its print engine is consistent enough without it, at least for the tasks outside the proof printing market. It could be that the switch to a single profile is related to the new weaving technology that appeared at the same time for the different brands. And where Epson is using variable droplets the other two have fixed droplet sizes (but fixed on two sizes for HP, possibly too for Canon) and must use a change in weaving patterns between resolutions to compensate for that, a simple curve would not fix twice the droplet volume density. Another issue then would be the drying time / color settling time. Like with more or less weaving strokes, more complicated weaving patterns can generate better output too with the same droplet quantity. Whether that still is resolution expressed in dpi is another matter, if it delivers that image quality to the eye it is good enough for me. I got the impression that Epson shifted the output more to its minimum droplet sizes in the 9900 and 3880 models so a similar solution is needed there as well.

There still is an image quality difference possible between different "resolutions" that is not related to the gamut or color consistency. Smoothness, detail reproduction, reduced aliasing etc. There's even more possible in that sense. As I understand it the same heads used on the Z2100-3100 models are used on the B9180. The last however lays down an even better dithering pattern, as testified by Neil Snape, to my knowledge with the same droplet sizes. As it is an A3+ printer the computing for an area like that is faster done than on a square meter for a wide format.

The days that the same droplet and similar weaving patterns were used to lay down a true 360 and a 720 dpi resolution are over. Then the compromise was visible in the Epson 9000's 360 dpi blacks that often suffered of white lines while the 720 dpi prints had bleeding blacks and banding of overlapping color strokes. A primitive form of what I described above on weaving quality as a replacement for resolution was also available in the 9000's "1440/720 resolution", every 720 dpi row in the head travel direction shifted half the dot pitch to the row before it, the media transport direction kept the 720 dpi resolution. So not a true 1440 dpi resolution either but nevertheless a smoother result.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 05:43:17 pm »

Quote from: NikoJorj
Alas, this may be an ideal principle, but down in this valley of tears I can see a noticeable difference in color and tone between the different resolution settings, at least with my now-old and low-end Epson R1800. Perhaps this is better implemented in other brands?
And it might be useful to add that I'm think I'm nowhere near as color-picky as many here : if I can notice it, you will.

Recent wide format printer models. The R1800 was introduced 4 years ago and is already replaced by the R1900 which may have or may not have profiles per resolution. Didn't check that.

Pages: [1]   Go Up