Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya AFDII with Sinar 54LV  (Read 2932 times)

sinar444

Mamiya AFDII with Sinar 54LV
« on: September 18, 2009, 07:06:46 pm »

I have a Mamiya 645 AFDII camera and a Sinar 54LV digital back with the proper adapter in between. The camera sometimes - quite frequently - looses the digital back and only a switch off - switch on (either the camera or the back) fixes the problem. In such cases there's an error message in the wiefinder of the camera: "Error DB". The camera is working properly with film cartridges. Also, the Sinar back many times writes erroneous exposure time and aperture values into the EXIF file. This function is working properly with the film cartridge, these values are correctly written on the edge of the filmstrip. I'd appreciate if someone who had a similar experience helped me. I have the latest firmware installed in the digital back.
Thank you

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 09:55:15 pm »

Quote from: sinar444
I have a Mamiya 645 AFDII camera and a Sinar 54LV digital back with the proper adapter in between. The camera sometimes - quite frequently - looses the digital back and only a switch off - switch on (either the camera or the back) fixes the problem. In such cases there's an error message in the wiefinder of the camera: "Error DB". The camera is working properly with film cartridges. Also, the Sinar back many times writes erroneous exposure time and aperture values into the EXIF file. This function is working properly with the film cartridge, these values are correctly written on the edge of the filmstrip. I'd appreciate if someone who had a similar experience helped me. I have the latest firmware installed in the digital back.
Thank you

You might try removing the adapter plate and re-attaching it. Make sure if you're using a shim, it's not obstructing a contact. Also, alcohol cleaning of any electronic contacts. Try a different firewire cable. Try a cf card and see if you get errors. Try shooting to the internal memory and see if you get errors. Make sure the batteries in the AFD are fresh. Eliminate the variables.

You may have already done this, but if not try and see if you can narrow it down.

Steve Hendrix
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 10:00:09 pm by Steve Hendrix »
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

sinar444

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 05:04:08 am »

Thank you
Hi Steve,

Thank you for the quick an valuable reply. I have already done most of the suggested actions but didn't help.
Best regards
Istvan

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 11:41:58 am »

Hi Steve,

Thank you for the quick an valuable reply. I have already done most of the suggested actions but didn't help.
Best regards
Istvan

So you get the error whether you're shooting to cf card or shooting tethered? Have you tried another Mamiya body? Is this a recent ocurrance with non-changing existing equipment?

Steve Hendrix
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

sinar444

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 09:15:10 am »

Quote from: Steve Hendrix
So you get the error whether you're shooting to cf card or shooting tethered? Have you tried another Mamiya body? Is this a recent ocurrance with non-changing existing equipment?

Steve Hendrix

Thanks again,

This is the next step, I managed to hire a second camera body and I'll test the digital back with it, soon. The problem exists since I purchased the Sinar back. I guess the adapter is faulty because the camera works fine with the film casettes and I was told that the back worked with Hy6 camera (I purchase it 2nd hand). I'll let you know about the test result.

Best regards
Istvan

ThierryH

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 09:44:26 am »

Istvan,

- does it happen TETHERED?
- if yes, what application version are you using?
- try to trash the preferences if it happens while tethered?

Best regards,
Thierry

Thanks again,

This is the next step, I managed to hire a second camera body and I'll test the digital back with it, soon. The problem exists since I purchased the Sinar back. I guess the adapter is faulty because the camera works fine with the film casettes and I was told that the back worked with Hy6 camera (I purchase it 2nd hand). I'll let you know about the test result.

Best regards
Istvan

A.K.

• http://www.andreykulpin.com
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 11:20:08 am »

I've had quite similar problems with my 132c on an AFD camera. Not sure about the construction of Sinar adapters, but perhaps the cause is the same as mine. Take a look at the back-to-camera contacts on the adapter and compare them to the contacts on a filmback. You might notice, that the contacts on the DB are slightly shorter. If this is true, your contacts may be worn out (or, more precisely, the tiny springs, that push the contacts against each over). You can try inserting small pieces of metal (eg. foil) between them to ensure good contact and if the problem is gone — this is your cause. In this case you can either get a new adapter, or try to fix the old one somehow (not sure if this is possible).
Regards,
 Andrey Kulpin [url=http://www.a

Voltman

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 10:04:14 am »

Thank you

My friend had the exact same issue with a ZD back and it required a firmware update on the camera body (not the back) to solve.  You may want to talk with Mamiya service about your version of firmware.  The down point is that the upgrade has to be done at the Mamiya service center and may cost you if you don't have the original invoice.

Pages: [1]   Go Up