Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP Z3100 reds, an email to Ben Wolf  (Read 7762 times)

lcastric

• http://www.lincolncastricone.com/blog
HP Z3100 reds, an email to Ben Wolf
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2009, 05:01:37 pm »

Thanks for all your suggestions and work.  I did get an excellent print
on HP pro matte canvas and here's how. Yes the color space was wrong. The image was shot in jpg, during a brief period I though saving space and time was as important as IQ,
so the damn thing was without a color space and it was automatically assigned sRGB because my preferences in photoshop were screwed up. I assigned a prophoto profile to the file,
calibrated the printer for the canvas and used HP's canned ICC profile for the pro matte canvas and, after adjusting the image a lot according to the soft proofing feature in Qimage, viola! a virtually perfect print
reds included!

Even though I got the print I wanted I had to work for it. Using the soft proofing feature in Qimage I had to do a lot of increasing contrast and darkening the mid-range to compensate for a washed out image in soft proofing.
I calibrate my monitor with I1 Match, but I've got to set the luminance way up from the recommended level to not have a quite dark screen. Any ideas?

I went through the same process with Breathing Color's chromatic white canvas and produced an awful print. So I created an ICC profile with the Z3100 and produced an identical for all intents and purposes
awful print.

So that's where I am for now. I'm finding that the onboard spect cannot bring a lot of 3rd party media into line with the IQ that HP's media and canned profiles produce. I know this makes sense, but I was holding onto the fantasy this
this printer could and would print beautiful on any media you throw in it. Alas!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up