Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ~ Dazzling Red Lilies ~  (Read 4440 times)

JohnKoerner

~ Dazzling Red Lilies ~
« on: September 18, 2009, 09:12:29 am »

Up out of nowhere, in the middle of my lawn, grew the most fantastic pair lilies I have yet to see in Florida. As of this writing, they are about 2' high and identical twins. They grew this tall in a matter of 2 weeks (the last time I mowed my lawn), and visually they are simply fantasitc:

X

I have looked through several books and not seen lilies of this kind depicted. Has anyone ever seen a lily like this before?  (Mike?  )

Thanks for any input,

Jack

« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 05:51:59 am by JohnKoerner »

Johnny_Johnson

~ Dazzling Red Lilies ~
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 11:50:51 am »

Google is your friend.  Try the phrase - red surprise lily.

Later,
Johnny

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
~ Dazzling Red Lilies ~
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 06:37:42 pm »

Quote from: Johnny_Johnson

Later,
Johnny
Good call Johnny.  Definitely a spider lily.  Any idea where the bulbs came from, Jack?  Or are squirrels planting seeds in your back yard?

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

JohnKoerner

~ Dazzling Red Lilies ~
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 06:44:25 pm »

Quote from: Johnny_Johnson
Later,
Johnny

LOL, yep, my girlfriend Googled "Red Florida Lilies" and we came up with Red Spider Lily ... with the 'Surprise' as a synonym ...

Thank you,

JohnKoerner

~ Dazzling Red Lilies ~
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 06:51:54 pm »

Quote from: wolfnowl
Good call Johnny.  Definitely a spider lily.  Any idea where the bulbs came from, Jack?  Or are squirrels planting seeds in your back yard?
Mike.

I dunno Mike, it could be  

Actually, I have Rain Lilies that sprout up on the lawn periodically, white in early spring, and pink from summer to fall. But they are much smaller. I have been here two years and have never seen one of these spider lilies before. From what I have read, the Red Spider Lily is native to Florida and I have 50 acres of land, most of it wild. I have about 3 acres of manicured lawn and might have been cutting them down at will before they could grow. The Rain Lilies grow up overnight, but I didn't notice this one until recently. As I mentioned, I let a couple of weeks go between mows and this sucker grew to this height within that time. At first I thought it was a piece of tall grass, and then noticed the red "ends" that eventually blossomed into the "fireworks" you see here.

Anyway, I found some more neat flowers today also, along the roadside, that I will post later

Jack

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
~ Dazzling Red Lilies ~
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 04:32:42 am »

Quote from: JohnKoerner
I dunno Mike, it could be

The reason I mentioned it is that years ago my mother was very active in Girl Guides, and they had a permanent camp about 40 minutes or so from Ottawa.  One fall my mother and a bunch of Brownies (6-10 yr old?) planted tulip bulbs along the various trails in the camp, and they looked forward with great anticipation to the following spring.  Well, spring came around and one straggly tulip poked its head up.  The girls were seriously disappointed.  Later that day some of the older girls went for a walk in the woods and they found tulips popping up sporadically throughout the woods.  The squirrels had dug them up and cached them in different places.  BTW, in boreal forest, one should never strip cut more than 150 feet wide because that's about the maximum length of open area a red squirrel will cross, and they'll do a lot of the replanting...

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

JohnKoerner

~ Dazzling Red Lilies ~
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 07:12:08 am »

Quote from: wolfnowl
The reason I mentioned it is that years ago my mother was very active in Girl Guides, and they had a permanent camp about 40 minutes or so from Ottawa.  One fall my mother and a bunch of Brownies (6-10 yr old?) planted tulip bulbs along the various trails in the camp, and they looked forward with great anticipation to the following spring.  Well, spring came around and one straggly tulip poked its head up.  The girls were seriously disappointed.  Later that day some of the older girls went for a walk in the woods and they found tulips popping up sporadically throughout the woods.  The squirrels had dug them up and cached them in different places.  BTW, in boreal forest, one should never strip cut more than 150 feet wide because that's about the maximum length of open area a red squirrel will cross, and they'll do a lot of the replanting...
Mike.

You always have some interesting tidbit to share Mike  

You know, that could very well be. I have a lot of squirrels around here, and they do dig-up the mushrooms quite a bit. I have seen many species of mushroom suddenly "disappear" out from under the trees ... with naught left but a hole where it was ... and squirrel tracks nearby ...

Pages: [1]   Go Up