Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Paris Cliché  (Read 7847 times)

Rob C

Paris Cliché
« on: September 18, 2009, 05:45:22 am »

Michael, it is not a cliché because I haven't done it.

Glad to see the French are not enjoying any better weather than here in Spain; summer seems over and the nights are getting quite cold again. There's a hidden lesson in this: in summer I look forward to the cool of winter and at the first sign of the latter I crave summer. Is that a manifestation of the much vaunted human condition?

Rob C

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Paris Cliché
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 06:38:37 am »

Quote from: Rob C
There's a hidden lesson in this: in summer I look forward to the cool of winter and at the first sign of the latter I crave summer. Is that a manifestation of the much vaunted human condition?

No, it is just you.  

Cheers,
Bernard

Guigui

• http://
Paris Cliché
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 07:51:58 am »

Glad to see the French are not enjoying any better weather than here in Spain; summer seems over and the nights are getting quite cold again. There's a hidden lesson in this: in summer I look forward to the cool of winter and at the first sign of the latter I crave summer. Is that a manifestation of the much vaunted human condition?

Rob C
Actually it's been mostly sunny around here in september. Either Michael took this shot during bad weather on purpose, or he was just unlucky.

Thanks for the shot Michael, hope you enjoyed Paris.

Rob C

Paris Cliché
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 09:53:40 am »

Quote from: Guigui
Actually it's been mostly sunny around here in september. Either Michael took this shot during bad weather on purpose, or he was just unlucky.

Thanks for the shot Michael, hope you enjoyed Paris.

Guigui

Why is your avatar wearing a crown of thorns?

Do you buy French PHOTO? I used to for years, then the Amateur Issue pissed me off and I cancelled. I still read back copies I have when I get bored, and then, once reread for the zillionth time, they get thrown away. Bitter-sweet: so many great photographers they used to feature, a photo-history of its own; all those new photo-books that are unobtainable in Spain, those great website connections...

Rob C

Guigui

Paris Cliché
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 10:22:32 am »

Guigui

Why is your avatar wearing a crown of thorns?

Do you buy French PHOTO? I used to for years, then the Amateur Issue pissed me off and I cancelled. I still read back copies I have when I get bored, and then, once reread for the zillionth time, they get thrown away. Bitter-sweet: so many great photographers they used to feature, a photo-history of its own; all those new photo-books that are unobtainable in Spain, those great website connections...

Rob C

My avatar is a self-portrait by Austrian painter Egon Schiele. More info about him here. He painted many portraits of himself, always representing his body and limbs in very disturbing proportions. About the "crown of thorns", I think it's just the way he chose to picture his hair.

I am mainly interested in painting, drawings and illustrations. I hang around here because it is an amazing source of information about digital printing. I like photography, but I have never bought the PHOTO magazine you refer to, so I wouldn't know about its loss of interest.

Nemo

Paris Cliché
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 11:49:20 am »

Rob C

I love autumn and winter...

The summer in Spain is too hot...

douglasf13

Paris Cliché
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 02:38:37 pm »

My avatar is a self-portrait by Austrian painter Egon Schiele. More info about him here. He painted many portraits of himself, always representing his body and limbs in very disturbing proportions. About the "crown of thorns", I think it's just the way he chose to picture his hair.

I am mainly interested in painting, drawings and illustrations. I hang around here because it is an amazing source of information about digital printing. I like photography, but I have never bought the PHOTO magazine you refer to, so I wouldn't know about its loss of interest.

He is one of my favorites, and a bit of an inspiration for me.  Here is something from a project I'm working on.  All done in camera, no photoshop
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 02:40:23 pm by douglasf13 »

Guigui

Paris Cliché
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 05:12:54 pm »

Quote from: douglasf13
He is one of my favorites, and a bit of an inspiration for me.  Here is something from a project I'm working on.  All done in camera, no photoshop
Wow, scary stuff ! Great work, thanks for sharing. The second one looks amazingly realistic for something done without photoshop. Still wondering how you made it look so "real" without editing.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 05:13:50 pm by Guigui »

douglasf13

Paris Cliché
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 07:33:55 pm »

Wow, scary stuff ! Great work, thanks for sharing. The second one looks amazingly realistic for something done without photoshop. Still wondering how you made it look so "real" without editing.

Thanks.  I used to assist for Melanie Pullen (link), so I guess scary is a bit in my blood   As far as the technique, I can't give much away, but it involves long exposures.  I've only ever seen one other person doing it, and it was for a different application (it can be done with film or digital.)  Take care, douglas

Rob C

Paris Cliché
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 04:45:08 am »

Thanks.  I used to assist for Melanie Pullen (link), so I guess scary is a bit in my blood   As far as the technique, I can't give much away, but it involves long exposures.  I've only ever seen one other person doing it, and it was for a different application (it can be done with film or digital.)  Take care, douglas

That must be one of the most depressing sites I have trawled through in my life. I reached the Hanging Series and gave up: which magazines print this shit, and who would sponsor it?

I don't for a moment question her ability, only her soul. Yuck.

Rob C

douglasf13

Paris Cliché
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 11:06:27 am »

That must be one of the most depressing sites I have trawled through in my life. I reached the Hanging Series and gave up: which magazines print this shit, and who would sponsor it?

I don't for a moment question her ability, only her soul. Yuck.  

Rob C

Ouch. I guess, to some, art should disturb, whereas, to others, pretty landscapes suffice. Melanie Pullen's "shit" has been featured in most magazines, but she's a fine art photographer that sells these prints for big, big money (most of them are giant, like 5'x7' or bigger.) I worked on her exhibition "Violent Times" that came after the crime scene stuff, and it may be more palatable for you. It was an exhausting, 2-3 year project with around 80 pieces, most of which where huge lightboxes, and it's currently touring the US. I guess you could just wiki her  

p.s. she's actually a very sweet girl
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 11:08:20 am by douglasf13 »

John Camp

Paris Cliché
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2009, 12:35:19 pm »

I have to confess that  like Rob, I find them repellant. I went to a lot of crime scenes as a reporter in Miami and the Twin Cities, and these are like Hollywood crime scenes, where the form is there, but the humanity is gone.

Bronislaus Janulis

• http://bronislaus.com
Paris Cliché
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2009, 01:51:31 pm »

Mean while, back at the real crime, MR's Paris cliche, is a total failure. The river boat needs to be framed by the arm and torch, not hidden there to the right.

douglasf13

Paris Cliché
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2009, 01:57:14 pm »

Quote from: John Camp
I have to confess that  like Rob, I find them repellant. I went to a lot of crime scenes as a reporter in Miami and the Twin Cities, and these are like Hollywood crime scenes, where the form is there, but the humanity is gone.

Hey, no problem.  I didn't mean to derail this thread. Sorry, Michael.

Rob C

Paris Cliché
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2009, 03:16:28 pm »

Quote from: Bronislaus Janulis
Mean while, back at the real crime, MR's Paris cliche, is a total failure. The river boat needs to be framed by the arm and torch, not hidden there to the right.

No, no, no, no! Don't blame Michael: blame those silly little Leica M viewfinders that let you see what's just outside the frame...

;-)

Rob C

schrodingerscat

Paris Cliché
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2009, 04:51:30 pm »

Ouch. I guess, to some, art should disturb, whereas, to others, pretty landscapes suffice. Melanie Pullen's "shit" has been featured in most magazines, but she's a fine art photographer that sells these prints for big, big money (most of them are giant, like 5'x7' or bigger.) I worked on her exhibition "Violent Times" that came after the crime scene stuff, and it may be more palatable for you. It was an exhausting, 2-3 year project with around 80 pieces, most of which where huge lightboxes, and it's currently touring the US. I guess you could just wiki her  

p.s. she's actually a very sweet girl

Interesting stuff, reminds me of early Helmut Newton(ever see Eyes of Laura Mars?).

I don't think "art" should so much disturb as stop one in one's tracks and prompt contemplation. Pretty pictures can also have the same effect, but most often are forgotten soon after viewing. Great art tends to haunt you for awhile and rarely matches the drapes.

I may not know art, but I know what I like.

douglasf13

Paris Cliché
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2009, 05:11:32 pm »

Quote from: schrodingerscat
Interesting stuff, reminds me of early Helmut Newton(ever see Eyes of Laura Mars?).

I don't think "art" should so much disturb as stop one in one's tracks and prompt contemplation. Pretty pictures can also have the same effect, but most often are forgotten soon after viewing. Great art tends to haunt you for awhile and rarely matches the drapes.

I may not know art, but I know what I like.

I've been meaning to see that movie. Thanks for the recommendation.  I guess, to me, stopping one in one's tracks and prompting contemplation is a kind of disturbance.  Some rock music fans listen to Coldplay, but I prefer The Locust.  Just different tastes

Rob C

Paris Cliché
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2009, 04:23:51 am »

Quote from: schrodingerscat

No, I never did see it: it was seldom around anywhere that I happened to find myself. However, I recall reading that Newton was far from pleased with the combination of his work and how it was utilised in the film.

However, a sustained assault on the senses by what would appear, on the strength of the website, to be a one-trick mare is more than I wished to endure. You could perhaps levy the charge of tunnel vision at the devine Miss Moon too, were you in inclement mood, but at least she has the magical ingredient of charm. The former, to me, is a walk in an asylum for the mentally disturbed. There is no real parallel with the world of music or anything much else; in my humble, such claims are nothing other than apologist desperation in the face of an unpleasant obsession laid bare.

I stress again that I do not question her skill - just her subject.

Rob C

EDIT: How we have strayed form Paris!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 04:25:17 am by Rob C »

FDewannieux

Paris Cliché
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2009, 04:34:54 pm »

A small world indeed ... I do live in Paris (nobody's perfect !) and was having a brunch at a terrace this morning when I saw Michael, a friend and their wifes get out a cab at "Rue Malher" in Le Marais and walked away. The fact that my girlfriend did recognize him as well probably means that I have spent too much time watching the Luminous Landscape DVDs !
I hope you are having a good time Michael and I am looking forward for more images from this M9 that you were carrying.

michael

Paris Cliché
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2009, 05:55:18 pm »

That's scary!  

Anyhow, greatings from "The City of Leitz".

Michael
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up