Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing big with Qimage  (Read 4676 times)

Samaila Sodangi

Printing big with Qimage
« on: September 17, 2009, 07:54:49 am »

Hi everyone,

I just bought and downloaded my copy of Qimage Studio Edition. I bought this application in order to primarily exploit its (much touted) abilty to print bigger images from smaller files at maximum quality. I n my particular situation I have an unprocessed raw file from my digital camera that measures 11inches x 16inches at 240ppi which I want to print at 24in x 36in. I want to process this image in Camera raw and Photoshop as usual then print it using Qimage but I need to get these issues clear.
 1. Should I apply some sharpenig in Camera raw/photoshop (both color and luminance) or leave out this stage all together for Qimage to handle?
 2. In trying to print to my desired bigger size(24inx36in) in Qimage should I just specify the page size and then drag and drop the thumbnail of the image i want to print in to the preview page for Qimage to resize and interpolate?
 3. I noticed that having done no. 2 above with the default hybrid interpolation method, Qimage dropped the ppi of the image to a mere 110ppi. Wont this lower the quality of the resulting print.
 4. Should I upsample the image in Qimage in order to increase its resolution so as to improve the ppi?
 5. What other things should I do to get maximum quality 24in. x 36in. print from my 11in. x 16in. 240ppi image?

Thanks in advance.

Samaila Sodangi

(Conscience is an open wound only truth can heal it - Usman Dan Fodio)

Ernst Dinkla

Printing big with Qimage
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 08:57:00 am »

Quote from: Samaila Sodangi
Hi everyone,

I just bought and downloaded my copy of Qimage Studio Edition. I bought this application in order to primarily exploit its (much touted) abilty to print bigger images from smaller files at maximum quality. I n my particular situation I have an unprocessed raw file from my digital camera that measures 11inches x 16inches at 240ppi which I want to print at 24in x 36in. I want to process this image in Camera raw and Photoshop as usual then print it using Qimage but I need to get these issues clear.
 1. Should I apply some sharpenig in Camera raw/photoshop (both color and luminance) or leave out this stage all together for Qimage to handle?
 2. In trying to print to my desired bigger size(24inx36in) in Qimage should I just specify the page size and then drag and drop the thumbnail of the image i want to print in to the preview page for Qimage to resize and interpolate?
 3. I noticed that having done no. 2 above with the default hybrid interpolation method, Qimage dropped the ppi of the image to a mere 110ppi. Wont this lower the quality of the resulting print.
 4. Should I upsample the image in Qimage in order to increase its resolution so as to improve the ppi?
 5. What other things should I do to get maximum quality 24in. x 36in. print from my 11in. x 16in. 240ppi image?

Thanks in advance.

Samaila Sodangi

Sharpen in Photoshop to the level you like on your display and would like to keep in the archived image. Check the effect at different zoom levels. Qimage has features for that stage too but if you are used to PS in that stage keep it like that. The smart print sharpening done by Qimage at the last stage is on the fly, for that print size/resolution only, will not be archived with the image and might show an oversharpened effect on your diasplay while it works for the print.

You have to select a size in the driver that has a relation with the sheet or roll loaded, not too large for example. The usable print page size (minus print margins) is after that displayed above the Qimage preview window. Either you do a Fit to page or use one of the other choices of image sizing in Qimage. The preview window will show the image's placement on the print page after loading the image. There are choices how to place the image. With too much paper waste you have to go back to the driver to find a nicer print page size, keeping in mind the physical sheet/rool size and the requested image size. You can load more images to reduce waste.

Qimage didn't drop the PPI to 110. It kept the total of pixels available in the image but has to spread it on a wider area 24x36". That dilutes your original PPI as the virtual "image area" 11x16" described in the Tiff, PSD, JPEG, is smaller. Put the same image in Photoshop and check the image size. Now enlarge that size with the resample option deselected. The same relation will show. Qimage shows you that number in the print queue so you know whether there is enough data for that print size availabe or to amaze you that despite the low number it could make a very nice print :-)

Qimage will use the hybrid interpolation routine to bring your image to the 300-360-600-720 PPI requested by the driver. It does that on the fly as soon as you hit the print button. The actual PPI number it extrapolates to is visible above the preview window, 360x360 PPI for example.

5. Keep the path from image capture to Qimage printing free from other extrapolations, color management mistakes + remedies and avoid heavy edits. If editing is done do it in 16 bit mode, capturing in "16" bit mode is better too. Make sure your monitor is calibrated and profiled and the same for your printer/paper.

Read Mike's articles on the Qimage site, read the manual of Qimage.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

Samaila Sodangi

Printing big with Qimage
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 09:44:30 am »

Quote from: Ernst Dinkla
Sharpen in Photoshop to the level you like on your display and would like to keep in the archived image. Check the effect at different zoom levels. Qimage has features for that stage too but if you are used to PS in that stage keep it like that. The smart print sharpening done by Qimage at the last stage is on the fly, for that print size/resolution only, will not be archived with the image and might show an oversharpened effect on your diasplay while it works for the print.

You have to select a size in the driver that has a relation with the sheet or roll loaded, not too large for example. The usable print page size (minus print margins) is after that displayed above the Qimage preview window. Either you do a Fit to page or use one of the other choices of image sizing in Qimage. The preview window will show the image's placement on the print page after loading the image. There are choices how to place the image. With too much paper waste you have to go back to the driver to find a nicer print page size, keeping in mind the physical sheet/rool size and the requested image size. You can load more images to reduce waste.

Qimage didn't drop the PPI to 110. It kept the total of pixels available in the image but has to spread it on a wider area 24x36". That dilutes your original PPI as the virtual "image area" 11x16" described in the Tiff, PSD, JPEG, is smaller. Put the same image in Photoshop and check the image size. Now enlarge that size with the resample option deselected. The same relation will show. Qimage shows you that number in the print queue so you know whether there is enough data for that print size availabe or to amaze you that despite the low number it could make a very nice print :-)

Qimage will use the hybrid interpolation routine to bring your image to the 300-360-600-720 PPI requested by the driver. It does that on the fly as soon as you hit the print button. The actual PPI number it extrapolates to is visible above the preview window, 360x360 PPI for example.

5. Keep the path from image capture to Qimage printing free from other extrapolations, color management mistakes + remedies and avoid heavy edits. If editing is done do it in 16 bit mode, capturing in "16" bit mode is better too. Make sure your monitor is calibrated and profiled and the same for your printer/paper.

Read Mike's articles on the Qimage site, read the manual of Qimage.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

Thanks, Ernst.

My item no.1 question was somehow mixed up. I wanted to ask if I could apply noise reduction (both luminance and color) and then sharpening in PS/ACR or should i allow Qimage to do both? I'm ok with your reply on the sharpening aspect.

thanks, once again.

Samaila Sodangi

Pages: [1]   Go Up