Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: z3100 and Margins  (Read 2160 times)

pierre.goyette

z3100 and Margins
« on: September 16, 2009, 07:15:29 pm »

HELP!

I have a z3100 (don't have QImage) and am trying to print a number of photos to use the least amount of paper. My simple task is to print 2 - 12" x 18" photos side by side. Therefore, the print size is 24" x 18".

I thought of borderless printing but from what I've read, no one seems to get it going or no one recommends this option.

So, I'm looking at the various Margin/Layout options in the print dialog but can't for the life of me figure out how to get the largest print size within the printer margins.

Could anyone recommend a set of options and methodology to maximize paper use from Photoshop?

Thanks,

Pierre

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
z3100 and Margins
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 11:08:33 pm »

It's not terribly elegant, but lacking QImage, I sometimes composite multiple prints together in Photoshop.  When I want accurate margins with this technique that are trimmed by hand, I expand the canvas the appropriate size in PS,  stroke the outside, then comp multiple prints into one larger document.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

brianrybolt

z3100 and Margins
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 04:23:10 am »

As far as I know, Ron is correct - it's the only way to be able to do what you want without Qimage.  Frustrating as hell but that's HP when it comes to software.

Good luck,

Brian

pierre.goyette

z3100 and Margins
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 07:41:04 am »

Ok, so what layout options do you select in the print dialog ?  Or let me re-word the question.

If you have something that you want to print as close to printer width as possible (in my case 24"),

1) What is the size of the canvas in PS?

2) Do you include any white border in that or is it just the photo?

3) What layout options do you select in the print dialog ?

There is a relationship between all of these which is not well documented and I'm trying to understand this to get maximum use of my paper...

Thanks

Ernst Dinkla

z3100 and Margins
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 08:15:45 am »

Quote from: brianrybolt
As far as I know, Ron is correct - it's the only way to be able to do what you want without Qimage.  Frustrating as hell but that's HP when it comes to software.

Good luck,

Brian

Brian,

I am not aware of any other OEM inkjet driver that would do nesting on its own like Qimage does it. If it has features like that it is usually a third party RIP that is included in the deal. There is a pages per sheet feature in the Z drivers: 1..2..  ...16 pages per sheet. For multipage documents though which isn't the usual workflow for photographers. Qimage is very much the ideal workflow for photographers. Leave the Z3100 as standard as it is and do the nesting etc in Qimage. Meanwhile the communication between the two programs has been improved. Once familiar with Qimage's features the user will always praise the day (s)he went that road.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

pierre.goyette

z3100 and Margins
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 08:38:59 am »

Quote from: Ernst Dinkla
Leave the Z3100 as standard as it is and do the nesting etc in Qimage.

Ernst,

OK, I've played with QImage and yes, the interface is a bit strange but I am starting to see the benefit. Last question, what Layout/Margin options should I choose in the z3100 driver?

These options affect the margins and whether the print driver further manipulates the image or not...

Pierre

Ernst Dinkla

z3100 and Margins
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 09:12:13 am »

Quote from: pierre.goyette
Ernst,

OK, I've played with QImage and yes, the interface is a bit strange but I am starting to see the benefit. Last question, what Layout/Margin options should I choose in the z3100 driver?

These options affect the margins and whether the print driver further manipulates the image or not...

Pierre

Stay with standard. All kinds of cropping can happen if you select otherwise, that also applies to the driver Features page choice Remove top/bottom blank area. You wouldn't like to see the driver crop the extra white border you added intentionally in Qimage. I seldom use features like that, only when I want to repeat many indentical prints without borders or white space on a roll and waste as little as possible to get that last one also on the roll. Often that method is Penny-wise, Pound-Foolish. Usually there are better methods available in Qimage.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

dkeyes

• http://
z3100 and Margins
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 12:56:49 pm »

The only way I've found in Photoshop is to build a file with both images (fairly easy) and when printing choose "Borderless" and the enlargement option "Automatically by Printer". If the paper is 24" wide and your image is 24" wide, no enlargement will happen. Occasionally, the roll is 24.1" and you will get a slightly (about .5%) larger image which isn't noticeable. You have to turn off "Disable cutter" because the printer will trim before you print and after so you get a trimmed out, full bleed image. If you don't select "Disable cutter" the borderless option won't show up in the window. Btw, if you choose manually enlarge option it requires you to do a minimum enlargement of around 1/8th larger than your paper size if I remember my testing results.

You have to make sure and clean the sponge under the area (platen) where the bleed happens/print heads travel. Ink will build up there from overspray. It isn't much but can transfer onto subsequent prints later if your not careful. I just dab the area after each print with a soft cloth. This is a bit of a hassle so I rarely print this way. I'd rather use a larger sheet and trim it out.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 12:57:30 pm by dkeyes »
Pages: [1]   Go Up