Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Antarctic Expedition  (Read 1686 times)

pmazolo

• Petter Magnusson - Fotograf i Stockholm
Antarctic Expedition
« on: September 16, 2009, 04:54:46 pm »

Hi,

I have previously read about peoples experiences during these expeditions, but now I see the forum is "members only".

I have been given an opportunity to come along on a long antarctic journey and need equipment info and experiences asap, so I wonder, is it possible to gain access to that forum?

Rgds
PM
Petter Magnusson
Photographer in Sweden

Bob Peterson

• http://www.pbase.com/rwzeitgeist/
Antarctic Expedition
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 09:35:41 pm »

Quote from: pmazolo
Hi,

I have previously read about peoples experiences during these expeditions, but now I see the forum is "members only".

I have been given an opportunity to come along on a long antarctic journey and need equipment info and experiences asap, so I wonder, is it possible to gain access to that forum?

Rgds
PM
I don't remember that forum ever being other than "members only" from its creation for the first Antarctic cruise.  There have been a number of threads in the public topics, especially "Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear," by workshop participants.

David Burren created an index page referencing much of the online material created by the participants.  Browsing the sites indexed there will give you a (vague) sense of the experience.

Shooting in Antarctica on the 2009 workshop differed little from shooting anywhere else where the temperature hovers around freezing, there's a risk of equipment damage from weather and salt water, and the nearest photo store is several days away.  Now, you mention your trip will be "long," which could well mean you'll encounter conditions more severe than we did.  In that case, limiting yourself to those with access to the workshop forum could well cut you off from folks without access but with relevant experience.  If you have specific questions about some facet of the workshop, or of shooting in and managing files in severe conditions, just ask (in the right forum, of course).  

Bob
Pages: [1]   Go Up