Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One P-25  (Read 2362 times)

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
Phase One P-25
« on: September 16, 2009, 10:49:10 am »

What would be a fair price for one of these backs with 30,000 actuations? Is this alot of actuations?
Mike

pcunite

Phase One P-25
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 10:58:48 am »

Quote from: Mike Sellers
What would be a fair price for one of these backs with 30,000 actuations? Is this alot of actuations?
Mike

Actuations are not really a concern to buyers. The cosmetic condition/appearance of the unit is more of a concern.

Phil Indeblanc

Phase One P-25
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 12:53:54 pm »

Mike

actuations isn't the biggest deal on these, but more so not dropped, or scratched etc...check for good FW connection, and that any cables is not iffy.  but I have seen these sell for over $8K as-is no warranty just recently.

actually the high average looks about $7K, and the lower end about $4k.  I would buy local so you can test it, otherwise its a bit ish
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 01:36:53 pm by Phil Indeblanc »
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

nad54

Phase One P-25
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 01:26:11 pm »

Quote from: Phil Indeblanc
actuations isn't the biggest deal on these, but more so not dropped, or scratched etc...check for good FW connection, and that any cables is not iffy.  but I have seen these sell for over $8K as-is no warranty just recently.

If anyone is based in the UK I have a 'spare' one that I can let go for a reasonable price. It is a V fit and the count is 20820.

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
Phase One P-25
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 08:03:39 pm »

I am currently using a Canon 1Ds MarkII so what would be the improvements of files from the Phase One P-25 over the Canon?

Phil Indeblanc

Phase One P-25
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 08:27:56 pm »

I am currently using a Canon 1Ds MarkII so what would be the improvements of files from the Phase One P-25 over the Canon?

that is a different question with LOTS of write ups directly to this question.  But I will...nah....there is just too much of this info with so many variables already discussed.

I will say this, you will only know whether you will want one or not, if you rent one and try it in your line of work/photography.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Jozef Zajaz

Phase One P-25
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 05:00:16 pm »

That depends on what you are shooting. Are you doing low light weddings and sports photography you won't se any improvements at all. But in a controlled light environment, preferably a studio you will get higher resolution, sharper images, prettier dof, more accurate colors, faster tethered shooting.

If you don't know the answer to your own question above why are you even thinking of getting a p25?

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Phase One P-25
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 05:41:32 pm »

Just one man's opinion: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/...11-vs-p25.shtml

Two notes on this review:
  - It was written with the first version of P25 firmware and with Capture One 3. The current firmware and Capture One 4 are significantly better at extracting detail, accurate shadow detail/color, and handling of high dynamic range scenes.
  - It was written prior to the wide availability and large variety of technical cameras such as the Cambo Wide RS which allows one even more resolution and detail along with fantastic quality shifts.

Quote from: Jozef Zajaz
Are you doing low light weddings and sports photography you won't se any improvements at all. But in a controlled light environment, preferably a studio you will get higher resolution, sharper images, prettier dof, more accurate colors, faster tethered shooting.

I'll go even further to say if you're doing low light weddings and sports photography he won't just "not see any improvements" he will in fact see much worse results.

As you say, if he's shooting the styles of photography which are conducive to medium format then he will benefit tremendously. This is not limited JUST to the studio, but to any style of photography which allows a slightly slower work speed in exchange for better quality, and which has sufficient natural or artificial light (or allows for a tripod). These are terrible systems for photojournalism and event photography, but they are fantastic for many/most other styles of photography.

Quote from: Jozef Zajaz
If you don't know the answer to your own question above why are you even thinking of getting a p25?

I'd wager a guess that you (the OP) are making the most common mistake in high-end equipment purchasing. You've found a "deal" and are  deciding if the equipment is right for you. Instead it is really much better to determine what equipment is right for you and THEN seek out a deal.

It's almost painful to see it happen over and over. I know it's selfish to say, but this sort of potential user is really truly best served by a dealer that can show the (surprisingly) large variety of options in person and hands-on. It's not that you can't get answers to your questions online, it's that you might not ask the right questions!

Doug Peterson
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 05:43:10 pm by dougpetersonci »

paul_jones

• http://www.paulrossjones.com
Phase One P-25
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 08:12:32 pm »

i used a 1dsmk2 along with a p25 for quite a while. the p25 is quite a lot sharper, and handles highlights far better than the canon. not sure if the latitude is a lot better, as the canon handles darks better- the p25 has messy blacks, but the 1dsmk2 is really bad with bright highlights. i was shooting a lot of sun behind people, and in these situations the p25 was great, there was lots of headroom in the file.

a few things i didnt like about the p25, shoots really slow, renders grass in a funny way. kind of looks plastic.

but i have a canon 1ds mk3 now, and that has blown me away with the files compared with the mk2. a big improvement. i dont have a p25, but an aptus now, and the canon is nearly as sharp. well, it has a kind of hazey sharpness, less crisp, but still sharp. i actaully like the canon mk3 look.

paul
check my new website
[url=http://www.pau
Pages: [1]   Go Up