Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leaf Aptus needs strong shutter activation  (Read 2869 times)

BrianWoolf

Leaf Aptus needs strong shutter activation
« on: September 15, 2009, 01:02:28 pm »

Hi,
I am trying to use a Leaf Aptus 22 to do some landscape on a hasselblad. I need such a firm or hard shutter press to get the back to activate and receive the image. This often becomes a severe jerk to fire both and I am causing camera shake on a light weight tripod. If I squeeze the shutter, it will fire but the back does not and I receive an error message. I have used leaf backs for over 4 years in the studio and am aware that a strong shutter press is needed on the hassy as well as the 4x5 lenses.

So:

Will a cable release solve this problem completely or just improve my odds.

Will a set up like a cambo Wide DS with a 47mm lens, actually work better or be more of the same camera shake on a medium weight tripod. They seem to have 'soft releases' for these view camera type lenses now, but I believe that I would get a lot of error messages, when the shutter fires and the back still doesn't, with this.

Any other solutions that I am over looking.

Thanks,
Brian

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 01:25:46 pm »

Quote from: BrianWoolf
Hi,
I am trying to use a Leaf Aptus 22 to do some landscape on a hasselblad. I need such a firm or hard shutter press to get the back to activate and receive the image. This often becomes a severe jerk to fire both and I am causing camera shake on a light weight tripod. If I squeeze the shutter, it will fire but the back does not and I receive an error message. I have used leaf backs for over 4 years in the studio and am aware that a strong shutter press is needed on the hassy as well as the 4x5 lenses.

So:

Will a cable release solve this problem completely or just improve my odds.

Will a set up like a cambo Wide DS with a 47mm lens, actually work better or be more of the same camera shake on a medium weight tripod. They seem to have 'soft releases' for these view camera type lenses now, but I believe that I would get a lot of error messages, when the shutter fires and the back still doesn't, with this.

Any other solutions that I am over looking.

Thanks,
Brian

A cable release will surely help but you can also set the back to "Large Format" which will make it less sensitive to  a "stuttered" press.

Yair
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

Terence h

• Terence Hogben Photography
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 03:59:49 pm »

I use a Leaf Aptus back on a Hasselblad 500CM and i have the same issue sometimes , where i get the message that no image was
received , it can drive you nuts , and when you jab the shutter it is OK ,which is fine when you are using flash but low ambient can be a problem
in this situation.

Regards
Terence
Terence Hogben. Durban. South Africa. ht

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 07:13:11 pm »

Quote from: Terence h
I use a Leaf Aptus back on a Hasselblad 500CM and i have the same issue sometimes , where i get the message that no image was
received , it can drive you nuts , and when you jab the shutter it is OK ,which is fine when you are using flash but low ambient can be a problem
in this situation.

Regards
Terence

Terence see my suggestion to Brian above to set the back for Large Format.

Yair
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

Terence h

• Terence Hogben Photography
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 12:31:03 am »

Quote from: yaya
Terence see my suggestion to Brian above to set the back for Large Format.

Yair

Thanks Yair i had only previously used it with my SWCM.

Regards
Terence
Terence Hogben. Durban. South Africa. ht

BrianWoolf

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 10:58:17 am »

Thanks Yaya - that seems to have done the trick, setting it on the large format setting. You are a treasure.

JohnS
I was using a Hasselblad 503cw with a 50mm lens and using the cable from the lens sync to the aptus back.
I agree with you that it is a bit strange that a strong shutter press would activate the back and a soft one won't - basically I get a error message saying that the back did not receive any info - something along those lines.

Thanks Terence I am glad I am not the only one.

Brian Woolf

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 12:31:47 pm »

Quote from: BrianWoolf
Thanks Yaya - that seems to have done the trick, setting it on the large format setting. You are a treasure.

JohnS
I was using a Hasselblad 503cw with a 50mm lens and using the cable from the lens sync to the aptus back.
I agree with you that it is a bit strange that a strong shutter press would activate the back and a soft one won't - basically I get a error message saying that the back did not receive any info - something along those lines.

Thanks Terence I am glad I am not the only one.

Brian Woolf

I've had the same issues with Hasselblad V series with digital backs at times, sometimes it's a dodgy sync post on the lens, sometimes the pal pin needs adjusting. A trip to the factory usually improves things, but the camera settings will also have an effect.

Steve Hendrix
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss
Pages: [1]   Go Up