Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with win xp64 coping large files  (Read 1962 times)

henk

Problem with win xp64 coping large files
« on: September 14, 2009, 05:14:29 pm »

Hi,
I have a problem copying files over 6 GB with my new PC system.

Processor Intel i7
12 GB ram
2 HD. One for OS and one for data

Copying files from one internal HD to the other internal HD. no problem. Copying from internal HD to external USB HD impossible. If I want to copy a 12 GB avi file it starts fine but after 3 to 4 minutes the Windows explorer stops and the system holds. The only way to stop is cancel. Half the time, after 5 minutes system lock, the system starts running. The other time only a hard reboot gets things back.
My supplier and I tried every thing to make it possible, new drivers, health check etc. but no way.
Teracopy does a fine job but is 3 times slower than a straight copy from this file on my older xp32 system.

Ever had such a problem and what could be the cure?

Henk

Pete_G

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 09:22:20 am »

Quote from: henk
Hi,
I have a problem copying files over 6 GB with my new PC system.

Processor Intel i7
12 GB ram
2 HD. One for OS and one for data

Copying files from one internal HD to the other internal HD. no problem. Copying from internal HD to external USB HD impossible. If I want to copy a 12 GB avi file it starts fine but after 3 to 4 minutes the Windows explorer stops and the system holds. The only way to stop is cancel. Half the time, after 5 minutes system lock, the system starts running. The other time only a hard reboot gets things back.
My supplier and I tried every thing to make it possible, new drivers, health check etc. but no way.
Teracopy does a fine job but is 3 times slower than a straight copy from this file on my older xp32 system.

Ever had such a problem and what could be the cure?

Henk

The external drive is formatted as NTFS, yes? If it's FAT32 it can't take a file over 4GB. I do a lot of video editing and try to keep the filesize down well below 12GB, which is pretty big.

henk

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 04:06:17 pm »

Quote from: Pete_G
The external drive is formatted as NTFS, yes? If it's FAT32 it can't take a file over 4GB. I do a lot of video editing and try to keep the filesize down well below 12GB, which is pretty big.

Yes it is NTFS.
Is there a 64 bit memory tester? Memtest from MS works only iunder  32 bit.

Henk

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 05:21:33 am »

I have XP64 but for the life of me I can't begin to find a file that size. Sorry.
Pages: [1]   Go Up