Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rights to publish  (Read 1466 times)

MikePike

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/michael-hibberd/
Rights to publish
« on: September 13, 2009, 08:48:54 am »

Hi People, sorry if this has been covered but I can't find this in the search results anywhere. And the internet is a little sporadic and unclear.

A band want to use some shots of mine on their website. I understand I can allow them to gain the right to publish only? Im not planning on charging them, but should I? They're only a small local band really.

Should I keep my digital signature on the images also?
Release forms? I want to use my pic freely in the future etc, and only allow them to use it the once. And will of course have my name associated with the image etc..

Any advice ladies and gents?

Cheers
'He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man'

Geoff Wittig

Rights to publish
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 10:14:23 am »

Quote from: MikePike
Hi People, sorry if this has been covered but I can't find this in the search results anywhere. And the internet is a little sporadic and unclear.

A band want to use some shots of mine on their website. I understand I can allow them to gain the right to publish only? Im not planning on charging them, but should I? They're only a small local band really.

Should I keep my digital signature on the images also?
Release forms? I want to use my pic freely in the future etc, and only allow them to use it the once. And will of course have my name associated with the image etc..

Any advice ladies and gents?

Cheers

Just my two cents, but I've done this a few times. I just draft a simple agreement giving them usage rights to the photos in question, specifying that they can't be used for anything else, nor transferred or distributed to others, that I retain all rights, and that I receive a credit for the images somewhere that's easy to find. I don't really fret much about image theft or money as it's just a lark for me. But if you plan on doing this for income down the road, it might make sense to start digitally watermarking your images, and to submit then for copyright.

MikePike

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/michael-hibberd/
Rights to publish
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 10:23:14 am »

Cheers Geoff. You just write something up on word etc specifying certain outlines? Get em to sign and we're all good?
'He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man'
Pages: [1]   Go Up