Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon and Sony/Zeiss lenses  (Read 4254 times)

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
Canon and Sony/Zeiss lenses
« on: September 13, 2009, 05:22:30 am »

Looking for advice on lenses. The background is this.  Someday I would like to have an APS-C sensor camera with fast frame rate, good high iso and good autofocus for BIF, and to act as a backup. Plus a full frame camera with good image quality and preferably live view for landscape. Though I'm not printing past 17” wide at present, it would be nice to have the flexibility to go bigger. I have been looking at Sony, and while it is a tempting option, I decided to wait until the new versions of the A900 and A700 (or similar) come out next year.
In the meantime I'm looking at making my Canon 40D a backup and buying a secondhand 5d Mk 2 for landscape. The real clincher was my 70-200 f4 IS. I like this lens a lot. It weighs 760 gm and I can walk around all day with it without tiring. I like the range, sharpness and bokeh. I like the fact it doesn't extend (like when I'm standing in the rain).
That out of the way, the nearest Sony/Zeiss lens I can find is the Sony 70-300 f4.5-5.6. Can anyone share how it compares to the Canon 70-200. Or am I barking up the wrong tree?
Thanks in advance, David

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 05:42:02 am »

Hi!

What's wrong with Canon?!

Regarding the 70-300/4.5-5.6 I presume you mean the 70-300/4.5-5.6G? It's pretty good.

Keep on mind that Canon L lenses are weather sealed and Sony/Zeiss is not.

Here is a short write up on my experience with the Alpha 900: http://83.177.178.241/ekr/index.php/photoa...e-sony-apha-900

And here are some images shot with the A900/SAL 70-300/4.5G: http://www.pbase.com/ekr/70_300

Best regards
Erik

Quote from: Taquin
Looking for advice on lenses. The background is this.  Someday I would like to have an APS-C sensor camera with fast frame rate, good high iso and good autofocus for BIF, and to act as a backup. Plus a full frame camera with good image quality and preferably live view for landscape. Though I'm not printing past 17” wide at present, it would be nice to have the flexibility to go bigger. I have been looking at Sony, and while it is a tempting option, I decided to wait until the new versions of the A900 and A700 (or similar) come out next year.
In the meantime I'm looking at making my Canon 40D a backup and buying a secondhand 5d Mk 2 for landscape. The real clincher was my 70-200 f4 IS. I like this lens a lot. It weighs 760 gm and I can walk around all day with it without tiring. I like the range, sharpness and bokeh. I like the fact it doesn't extend (like when I'm standing in the rain).
That out of the way, the nearest Sony/Zeiss lens I can find is the Sony 70-300 f4.5-5.6. Can anyone share how it compares to the Canon 70-200. Or am I barking up the wrong tree?
Thanks in advance, David
Erik Kaffehr

Brammers

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 05:46:05 am »

Thanks in advance, David

If you want a 70-200 f4 then the only brand that does one is Canon, even Nikon can't help you here.  One of Canon's specialities.

Sony's 70-300 G is very highly thought of and is probably the best out of the 70-300s, but it's not weathersealed, nor does it have the AF speed.  It does have the extra 100mm.

There's also the 70-400 G, again very highly thought of, but the same problems and it doesn't weigh 760g anymore...

If you must have a 70-200/4 in Alpha mount then it exists, but it was made in 1985.  You get excellent build, screwdrive AF, decent bokkeh and sharpness and a LOT of CA.  It's not up to the Canon 70-200 in any way other than the price - about $150 2nd hand.

For more info on the 70-300G, your best bet is www.dyxum.com - a site dedicated to Minolta/Sony issues.  Ask on the lens forum there.

David Sutton

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 06:34:53 am »

Thank you both for your replies and links.
I've had a 350D and now a 40D and both have been totally reliable and have exceeded my expectations. The 70-200 has been an eye-opener, and the other lens I use, a 25-105, is quite good, though sometimes I have to do a lot of work to fix CAs at 24mm. I can always look at a prime at this focal length to get around that I guess. I think I've become uncertain about the quality control on the latest models. I'd prefer not to have it break down far from home as has happened with a friend's 1ds3. (half jokingly, my worries are post 5 at http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=37615  ).
I've gotten used to travelling light, but you can't always have everything, so am just rethinking things through.
Cheers, David

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 06:50:26 am »

Hi,

The 24-70/2.8 ZA has significant CA at 24 mm, too. It's easy to fix. DxO does it automagically and so does Capture 1 (I think).

Best regards
Erik

Thank you both for your replies and links.
I've had a 350D and now a 40D and both have been totally reliable and have exceeded my expectations. The 70-200 has been an eye-opener, and the other lens I use, a 25-105, is quite good, though sometimes I have to do a lot of work to fix CAs at 24mm. I can always look at a prime at this focal length to get around that I guess. I think I've become uncertain about the quality control on the latest models. I'd prefer not to have it break down far from home as has happened with a friend's 1ds3. (half jokingly, my worries are post 5 at http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=37615  ).
I've gotten used to travelling light, but you can't always have everything, so am just rethinking things through.
Cheers, David
Erik Kaffehr

David Sutton

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 04:30:24 pm »

Quote from: ErikKaffehr
Hi,

The 24-70/2.8 ZA has significant CA at 24 mm, too. It's easy to fix. DxO does it automagically and so does Capture 1 (I think).

Best regards
Erik
Hi Erik. I'll check those out. I found in the past I've had to do several raw conversions in LR and blend them to really get rid of it.
I was unusually grumpy with technology in general last night. Went to do some printing and thought I'd put a bid in on a 5D2 first, but the computer failed to start. Looking at the boot menu I see my boot drive and first back up drives are gone. I've imaged the boot drive with two different software brands, so tried the boot disk. Nothing. I don't think this is a good thing at all. I'm fairly well backed up and archived, but would rather not have to use it in anger. So thought I'd step back a bit and have a second look at other brands and maybe a small discussion about lenses. At least the laptop works  .

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 05:15:35 pm »

Hi David,

Sorry about your computer problems!

Regarding the CA on the 24-70/2.8 it' lateral CA and well behaved and cleans up easily in Lightroom (I have a preset for it for ZA 24-70 at 24mm, so it's just a click away

Erik

Hi Erik. I'll check those out. I found in the past I've had to do several raw conversions in LR and blend them to really get rid of it.
I was unusually grumpy with technology in general last night. Went to do some printing and thought I'd put a bid in on a 5D2 first, but the computer failed to start. Looking at the boot menu I see my boot drive and first back up drives are gone. I've imaged the boot drive with two different software brands, so tried the boot disk. Nothing. I don't think this is a good thing at all. I'm fairly well backed up and archived, but would rather not have to use it in anger. So thought I'd step back a bit and have a second look at other brands and maybe a small discussion about lenses. At least the laptop works  .
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 05:16:39 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

stever

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 08:37:04 pm »

i am very happy with the combination of the 40D and 5D2 - hoping the 7D will be less disappointing than the 50D
Pages: [1]   Go Up