Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tips on how to sync Profoto with Canon 580EX II  (Read 2517 times)

perbernal

Tips on how to sync Profoto with Canon 580EX II
« on: September 12, 2009, 11:59:20 am »

I'm trying to sync Profoto 600B's with a Canon 580DX II for high ISO shooting. I'm using pocket wizards on the packs as well as connected to the PC terminal of the 580 but the Profoto's won't sync. Tried to hook up a pocket wizard to the pc terminal on the Canon 1DS MarkIII as well but with same result. Is there a conflict when using a flash mounted to the hot shoe at the same time as using a pocket wizard to trigger the profoto's? Tried multiple wizards and different cables but with the same negative result. Unfortunately I won't be able to use any devices between the camera hot shoe and the 580 flash as a Rayflash is added to the configuration. Any changes in positioning of the Rayflash on the camera would render the setup useless. Will post some samples if I get the concept to work.

All the best, Per Bernal

Tyler Mallory

• http://www.tylermallory.com
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 04:13:18 pm »

Are the Profotos firing at all? If they are, it may be that, with the 580 connected, the camera is firing its preflash for TTL metering, which is the sync that is triggering the Profotos early. Have you tried the 580 in manual mode?

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 06:10:02 pm »

Quote from: perbernal
Tried to hook up a pocket wizard to the pc terminal on the Canon 1DS MarkIII as well but with same result. Is there a conflict when using a flash mounted to the hot shoe at the same time as using a pocket wizard to trigger the profoto's?

There should not be a conflict with the Canon 1-series cameras. I often shoot with a Pocket Wizard hooked to the sync terminal and a flash in the hot shoe. (There have been issues with the xxD cameras not allowing this in the past. Not sure about current models.)

Will the Profoto fire at all, even without the 580 in the shoe?
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

perbernal

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 10:51:05 pm »

Quote from: Tyler Mallory
Are the Profotos firing at all? If they are, it may be that, with the 580 connected, the camera is firing its preflash for TTL metering, which is the sync that is triggering the Profotos early. Have you tried the 580 in manual mode?

I did not shoot with the flash in manual mode. Will try it but the reason I got the Rayflash was to be able to shoot TTL with a ringflash. In manual mode I won't be able to be as "spontaneous" as I would like to be without the need to take flash readings as soon as I move closer or farther away from the subject.

perbernal

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 10:59:43 pm »

Quote from: k bennett
There should not be a conflict with the Canon 1-series cameras. I often shoot with a Pocket Wizard hooked to the sync terminal and a flash in the hot shoe. (There have been issues with the xxD cameras not allowing this in the past. Not sure about current models.)

Will the Profoto fire at all, even without the 580 in the shoe?

The profoto's works without problems when I have a pocket wizard attached to the camera shoe mount and pocket wizards connected to the packs. Maybe Tyler is correct about the 580II sending a preflash for the TTL metering which conflicts with the pocket wizards and packs. By placing a battery pack in "direct line of fire" I was able to occasionally sync the profoto through the slave setting on. Samy's in Culver City wasn't able to help me but I positive that someone on this great board has the remedy : )

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 09:17:16 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up