Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Big Bend Texas  (Read 7970 times)

Peter McLennan

Big Bend Texas
« on: March 13, 2004, 08:17:56 pm »

Great location.  By all means, do it.  May should be OK, but no later.  HOT.  Earlier visit might result in excellent flower show.

Camp in Chisos Basin, take the hike trail west and down to the "pouroff" (forget the name).

Allow at least three days in Big Bend NP.

The Macdonald Observatory (in the west Texas hill country) is worth a visit, too.

regards,

Peter

Howard Smith

Big Bend Texas
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2004, 09:39:29 am »

Thanks for the info.  Hot is one reason for the trip, and it sounds like we will find it Big.  Maybe morning light will be more popular with me.

Howard Smith

Big Bend Texas
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2004, 12:27:31 pm »

Not all that lucky Peter.   I only have two weeks.  I love the desert.  When I lived in California, Death Valley was a favorite destination, no matter the season.  Always something different, whether it was 75 or 120 degrees in the non-existant shade.  I've never been to the Big Bend area and am really looking forward to it.

Peter McLennan

Big Bend Texas
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2004, 10:02:23 pm »

Great links, austex!  Thanks!  It looks like "Window Trail" is the pour-off route I took.  I forgot all about javelinas!

Howard, if you love deserts, you's on the right path.  BB is about a third of a stop under Death Valley in terms of desert beauty.

P

Howard Smith

Big Bend Texas
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2004, 07:06:32 pm »

Thanks to all for the info.  I'm getting really anxious to go.  If Big Bend is only 1/3 stop under Death Valley, I'm ready.  I have trouble telling the difference in third stop.

I went to White Sands for a day around last Christmas.  Had a great day.  Took two photos, and one was a keeper.  I thought late afternon was great light.  The low angle specular light was beautiful.  Lots of texture and shadows.

Howard Smith

Big Bend Texas
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2004, 12:11:07 pm »

I am considering Big Bend in May this year.  Any info would be appreciated.  Any bike rides without camera gear ideas?

I plan on camping in my van and most photography will be 6x6 and 4x5 film.

chrisn

• http://www.NicholsonPrints.com
Big Bend Texas
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2004, 09:02:38 am »

Ditto on the heat. I worked there for a day in early May in 1998. It was the hottest, most stiffling heat I've ever been, including the summer I was in the Australian Outback.

Amazing place for photography, though. Have a great time.

--Chris Nicholson
NicholsonPrints.com
Chris Nicholson
[url=http://www.Nicholso

Peter McLennan

Big Bend Texas
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2004, 11:05:27 am »

Don't short-shrift the West Texas Hill Country.  Depending on the spring's rainfall, the wildflowers there can be spectacular.  

You lucky dog.

Peter

austex

Big Bend Texas
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2004, 01:12:07 pm »

Basically, you have well over a million acres of park (both a state and a national) in that one area.  It's incredible, beautiful, rugged, and you'll remember it for years to come.  A lot of hiking, around 200 miles of trails.  Within a half day's drive of Big Bend, you have access to many other parks, including a nice spring-fed basin/wetland and large swimming pool (if your of a mind to scuba or snorkel and have appropriate camera gear, you have crystal-clear 30-foot deep water at Balmorhea State Park with a lot of fish), and you have Sahara-like sand dunes in another Texas state park not too far away.

The wildlife can be dangerous, mainly snakes and scorpions were my problem, but as long as you watch where you step or put your hand, and as long as you shake your clothes out and keep your tent sealed, you should be okay.  Mountain lions are rare.

The biggest danger is water/hydration.  This time of year it's not as bad of a problem, but it can still be one, as well as sunburn.

Take a telescope if you have one, no need to worry about light polution. You will get great sunsets and sunrises.

Big Bend Ranch State Park - 280,000 acres, 32 miles of hiking trails

Big Bend National Park - 800,000+ acres, 150 miles of hiking trails

Hiking Trails at Big Bend

What makes it special (according to them)

Some pics that others have taken to give you a feel for it :
http://www.pbase.com/msteffen/west_texas_i...ne&page=all
http://www.pbase.com/tconelly/bigbend_riogrande&page=all

I plan on making a full week-long trip in the fall and can't wait.

Xav

Big Bend Texas
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2004, 12:31:42 pm »

I've been there last thanksgiving....You will find good advice on AAA's book on photography: AAA's Photographing National Parks from Tim Fitzharris.

Go to http://www.opticalreverb.com/ pick me as artist (Xavier Cohen) and you will see some of my works there page 2-3 and 5.

Enjoy

Leej

Big Bend Texas
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2004, 05:19:19 pm »

Austex - you mention a State Park with Sand Dunes - where/which one?  My wife and I are leaving for Texas in about a week.  Will spend some time around Fredericksburg (flowers I hope), see the sights in San Antonio, then on down to Corpus Christi.  Hope to do some paddling (I have a Folbot) around Corpus, then over to Big Bend where we might try some more paddling in Santa Elena Canyon if conditions seem right.  Then north up to Carlsbad Caverns, and White Sands.  We have a 5th-wheel trailer and expect to be gone for around 3 weeks.  Any suggestions for photo ops are appreciated.  Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up