Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: question about AL's method of print mounting for exhibit  (Read 1213 times)

titusbear

• http://contemplativeeye.com
question about AL's method of print mounting for exhibit
« on: September 11, 2009, 10:59:48 am »

saw this video this AM.  Wondering about the method AL uses to mount her large images for exhibit.
Obviously sheet metal with built-in hangers.

http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/showbiz/2....legal.woes.cnn

question /query:  any idea(s) just how they mount the image onto the metal?  permanently - thus
destroying the archival nature of the print (but letting it become an 'art' piece), or somehow
temporarily?  Is the surface of the installation/print protected in any way?

structurally, seems like a great idea - especially for large images - if the wall can support them.

e/TB

contemplativeeye.com

framah

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 04:26:28 pm »

This is what I mean that the term archival is an overused term and quite often misleading.

Ansel Adams photos were mounted onto chipboard or some such other non acid free, non archival material and they are still around and looking just fine.

Sometimes, it is better to have the piece look good than for it to be "archival".

I have reframed pieces of "art" that were mounted around the turn of the century and they show no signs of deterioration from the process used. Definitely not  "archival" but not destructive to the piece.

Probably mounted to aluminum rather than steel as steel would rust if put into a humid environment and that might discolor the print.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

a.lorge

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 04:40:15 pm »

dibond panels maybe with a double sided adhesive?  panels  adhesive

Also, am I supposed to know AL is a Annie Liebowitz like T.O. is Terrell Owens?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 04:45:04 pm by a.lorge »

titusbear

• http://contemplativeeye.com
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 05:23:21 pm »

[quote name='framah' date='Sep 11 2009, 04:26 PM' post='309890']
This is what I mean that the term archival is an overused term and quite often misleading.

what is 'misleading' about the use of 'archival' (i.e. in my mind - permanent, durable, or chemically-stable - thus allowing it to be part of a long-term 'archive')  vs.  some method which could compromise the longevity/condition/nature of either the original piece or the combination as mounted.

having experience trying to 'conserve' some contemporary art (constructed /created of atypical materials often found in dumpsters / never expected to have a long life-span) I can appreciate the use of materials that are 'permanent , durable, or chemically-stable' - throw in 'reversible' (as in modern materials used in conservation /preservation)  and/or renewable - and to me it takes the prize.

Pages: [1]   Go Up