Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leica M9 DNG's the holy grail of post-procesing at last.....  (Read 5941 times)

sperera

Leica M9 DNG's the holy grail of post-procesing at last.....
« on: September 11, 2009, 05:19:51 am »

To me the question is does the Leica M9 manage to generate 'as good as it gets from the camera' images as DNG files unlike Hasselblad needing Phocus, Nikon needing Capture NX2 or Capture One etc.....has the post-processing nightmare ended with this camera and what we see in Lightroom exactly as good as the image is.......

........for me the big stinker with Nikon is NOT being able to handle all my images in Lightroom (which i feel is a great programme) as it does NOT open up RAW files as well as it does in Capture NX2 IN MY OPINION....Hasselblad and Phocus is another example....the .fff files it generates have to be treated in Phocus before anything else = loads of time wasted

So, have Leica managed to output perfect images onto the DNG format unlike Hasselblad, Nikon and everyone else???????? will be interesting to see......

I look forward to the Luminous Landscape review of images
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 05:22:18 am by sperera »
Stephen Perera
www.ulookfierce.com

sandymc

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 03:05:08 pm »

Quote from: sperera
To me the question is does the Leica M9 manage to generate 'as good as it gets from the camera' images as DNG files unlike Hasselblad needing Phocus, Nikon needing Capture NX2 or Capture One etc.....has the post-processing nightmare ended with this camera and what we see in Lightroom exactly as good as the image is.......

........for me the big stinker with Nikon is NOT being able to handle all my images in Lightroom (which i feel is a great programme) as it does NOT open up RAW files as well as it does in Capture NX2 IN MY OPINION....Hasselblad and Phocus is another example....the .fff files it generates have to be treated in Phocus before anything else = loads of time wasted

So, have Leica managed to output perfect images onto the DNG format unlike Hasselblad, Nikon and everyone else???????? will be interesting to see......

I look forward to the Luminous Landscape review of images

The DNGs are 14 bits. Holy grail?  - Religious question, can't help.  

Sandy

narikin

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 07:55:07 pm »

most people seem to find Lightroom good for its workflow and all in one controls, but not for ultimate quality.
Capture One seems to win that battle in the majority of opinion, (though obviously only for what it supports)

so, in answer to your question, "what we see in Lightroom exactly as good as the image is......."  is probably not true.

but if Lightroom's familiar workflow is what appeals to you, and straining that last degree of quality out of your file is not that important, then... its right for you.

Panopeeper

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 08:21:25 pm »

for me the big stinker with Nikon is NOT being able to handle all my images in Lightroom (which i feel is a great programme) as it does NOT open up RAW files as well as it does in Capture NX2 IN MY OPINION....Hasselblad and Phocus is another example....the .fff files it generates have to be treated in Phocus before anything else = loads of time wasted

The DNG format contains information regarding the color reproduction. ACR was criticized for the colors; photographers often expect the same colors, which they get from an in-camera JPEG. Leica may manage to pass "good" color reproduction specification along the raw data, i.e. such, which their customers like.

However, that is only one aspect of the image rendering. Even more: this aspect became a secondary issue with the DNG profiles. Adobe delivers a set of profiles for each camera, and users can develop their own profiles. There is room to improvement, but it is a very good start; the color rendition is much less of a problem now than it was for a year ago.

Other raw rendering issues can not be solved as of now. Example: noise reduction and CA elimination - ACR sucks, and Leica can not do anything in this regard short of pre-processing the raw data in-camera, and that would be foolish.
Gabor
Pages: [1]   Go Up