Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Markins Ballhead - to replace RRS BH-55  (Read 8001 times)

Khurram

Markins Ballhead - to replace RRS BH-55
« on: September 11, 2009, 12:36:40 am »

I have been using a Really Right Stuff BH-55 Ballhead for the past 3 years, and have been frustrated that even the the ballhead is locked, there is at times a little give in the QR lever clamp.  I find that at times it slides ab it and it makes it frustrating keeping the camera level - particularly with my 70-200 f2.8L IS lens that has a RRS QRS lens plate attached to the tripod socket.

Note that it's not the ballhead itself that doesn't lock down, it appears the Quick Release plate/clamp seems to have some movement and tends to slide a bit (we are talking about mm, but it is enough to through off the level - I have the QR lever clamp.

I have lived with the problem almost since i got the ballhead (I tend to try and bypass the 70-200 whenever possible because of the issue).  However, as I've gotten more into shooting panos, (I've got the RRS Ultimate Pro Omni Pivot package), I'm finding it more and more frustrating to live with the RRS head.

I've heard really good things about the Markins ballheads and wanted to get some advice on the Markins vs. RRS and suggestions for which markins ballhead to get if I make the switch.

I also wanted to know which ballhead would work best with the RRS Pano set, as well as the RRS L-brackets and lens plates. I did hear from some photographers that not all markins heads/clamps are fully compatible with RRS plates.  I will be using the ballhead on a Gitzo 3540LS tripod.

If I do make the switch, I'd like to go with a Markins ballhead/clamp, so I'd appreciate advice on which Ballhead to get and if there are any compatibility issues with using a Markins ballhead/clamp with RRS plates and pano kit.

I have considered sending my ballhead back to RRS for repairs, but being in Canada, that would probably mean i'd be without a ballhead for at least a month, in which case, I still need to pick up a second ballhead.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 12:39:27 am by Khurram »
----
[url=http://www.pbase.com/kssphotog

stever

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 01:08:29 am »

over time, i've spent a lot of money on ball heads without full satisfaction.  i don't think ball heads are the answer for panos.  Instead, i prefer the RRS MH-01 monopod head plus the PCL-1 panning base.  But i like the 4th Generation Desing Mongoose M2.3 gimbal head even better for versatility and use with long lenses.  If you don't want to mess with adjusting tripond legs, then you need to add a leveling base to either of these.  Other alternatives are the Manfrotto head head with separate X and Y adjustments and the very expensive Arca Swiss Cube.

i don't have a bh-55, but from my experience and talking to people who have this head, if it doesn't work for you, you need to look beyond ball heads.

Khurram

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 01:33:27 am »

Quote from: stever
over time, i've spent a lot of money on ball heads without full satisfaction.  i don't think ball heads are the answer for panos.  Instead, i prefer the RRS MH-01 monopod head plus the PCL-1 panning base.  But i like the 4th Generation Desing Mongoose M2.3 gimbal head even better for versatility and use with long lenses.  If you don't want to mess with adjusting tripond legs, then you need to add a leveling base to either of these.  Other alternatives are the Manfrotto head head with separate X and Y adjustments and the very expensive Arca Swiss Cube.

i don't have a bh-55, but from my experience and talking to people who have this head, if it doesn't work for you, you need to look beyond ball heads.
Thanks for the reply.  I think the issue i have with the BH-55, is that there is a defect in mine, where the attachment of the clamp to the ballhead is loose.  I don't have as much of an issue with a 5DII (without grip) and a smaller lens, but the heavier the load, the more slide there is between the Ballhead and the clamp.  It can probably be fixed by sending it back to RRS for repairs, but since I'm in Canada, i'm probably looking at least 1 month turn-around time.

In the meantime, I need another head and thats why I want to get some advice on the Markins.
----
[url=http://www.pbase.com/kssphotog

KeithR

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 09:48:01 am »

It' sounds as if your problem is with the clamp rather than the ballhead it self. Why throw out the baby with the bath water? Getting any other ballhead will still mean you would need another clamp of some sort. The clamp head can be replaced, or tightened down(if it's loose). In any event, it would be a lot faster and less expensive to replace the head, either with another clamp(perhaps the longer 80mm version) or with a screw type clamp instead of the QR.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 09:50:40 am by KeithR »
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 10:23:18 am »

Quote from: Khurram
I have been using a Really Right Stuff BH-55 Ballhead for the past 3 years, and have been frustrated that even the the ballhead is locked, there is at times a little give in the QR lever clamp.  I find that at times it slides ab it and it makes it frustrating keeping the camera level - particularly with my 70-200 f2.8L IS lens that has a RRS QRS lens plate attached to the tripod socket.

Note that it's not the ballhead itself that doesn't lock down, it appears the Quick Release plate/clamp seems to have some movement and tends to slide a bit (we are talking about mm, but it is enough to through off the level - I have the QR lever clamp.

I have lived with the problem almost since i got the ballhead (I tend to try and bypass the 70-200 whenever possible because of the issue).  However, as I've gotten more into shooting panos, (I've got the RRS Ultimate Pro Omni Pivot package), I'm finding it more and more frustrating to live with the RRS head.

I've heard really good things about the Markins ballheads and wanted to get some advice on the Markins vs. RRS and suggestions for which markins ballhead to get if I make the switch.

I also wanted to know which ballhead would work best with the RRS Pano set, as well as the RRS L-brackets and lens plates. I did hear from some photographers that not all markins heads/clamps are fully compatible with RRS plates.  I will be using the ballhead on a Gitzo 3540LS tripod.

If I do make the switch, I'd like to go with a Markins ballhead/clamp, so I'd appreciate advice on which Ballhead to get and if there are any compatibility issues with using a Markins ballhead/clamp with RRS plates and pano kit.

I have considered sending my ballhead back to RRS for repairs, but being in Canada, that would probably mean i'd be without a ballhead for at least a month, in which case, I still need to pick up a second ballhead.

Hi,

My Markins ballhead is one of my most excellent pieces of gear. I have had my Marking M10 for 3-4 years now, before that two Foba and one Gitzo. My choice for Markins was its good reviews and because with its combination of professional strong clamping power and lower weight than competition it clear beat the rest, at weight saving in my bag.

I previously used it with Foba quick plates for slr on my Markins, and now with Kirk and RRS L-brackets for Mamiya 7 and 645, and a Kangringpoche plate for my Shen-Hao. They are all compatible since they are Arca standard type of plates. Both Markins and Kangrinpoche plates are light weight.

Above said, while I much recommend the Markins I agree with above poster to first see if you can fix your RRS. Else I think you should be very pleased with a Markins. At least I am.  

Regards
Anders
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 10:32:20 am by Anders_HK »

cecelia

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 01:16:54 am »

I have a Markins Q3 Emille and an Arca Cube.  The Cube is way better for precision, but much heavier and much more expensive.  Both have their place.

The Q3 is plenty big enough for a D3x and 24-70.

-Cecelia

Pages: [1]   Go Up