Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leica on the cheap.  (Read 6978 times)

mike.online

• http://mikedotonline.blogspot.com
Leica on the cheap.
« on: September 10, 2009, 02:40:44 am »

Lots of M9 hype going around right now- the M9 is very sexy. in fact it is so attractive that it has got me wondering about rangefiders and Leica in particular.

A quick jaunt around the net tells me that to even get into the M7 is a costly game. Is it then safe to say that it is impossible to buy a cheap(er....range of $1K) used M8 body and lens combo?

brianrybolt

Leica on the cheap.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 04:42:57 am »

Quote from: mike.online
Lots of M9 hype going around right now- the M9 is very sexy. in fact it is so attractive that it has got me wondering about rangefiders and Leica in particular.

A quick jaunt around the net tells me that to even get into the M7 is a costly game. Is it then safe to say that it is impossible to buy a cheap(er....range of $1K) used M8 body and lens combo?

There's a better chance that hell will freeze over by the time you find (?) the Leica combo in that price range.
Brian

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
Leica on the cheap.
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 06:35:30 am »

If you want to shoot real leica rangefinder probably the only option in that price range is a second hand M2 or M3 with a 50/2.8 elmar or 35/2.8 summaron, and even then you need to find a good deal.
pieter, aka pegelli

MarkL

Leica on the cheap.
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 08:08:31 am »

I really hope epson make an rd2 and massively undercut leica by releasing it at a sensible price and end the madness, I doubt it would come in at under $1k though.

If you want to save some money, zeiss and voigtlander make M mount lenses that are far from shabby in performance.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
Leica on the cheap.
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 10:59:54 am »

If you want an inexpensive rangefinder, and you are willing to shoot film, the Voigtlander cameras and lenses are very good. See www.cameraquest.com for a full writeup on this system, and a good place to purchase. The newer Voigtlander cameras use the M mount, so they take Leica M lenses as well as their own, and of course the Voigtlander M lenses will fit a Leica M body.

If you want an inexpensive Leica digital camera, well, I have seen the original M8 available used for around $2000, and I expect we'll see more in that price range in the next few months. Paired with a 28mm lens it makes a nice intro to the Leica RF style of photography.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

photoshutter

Leica on the cheap.
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 04:07:10 pm »

Yes, great camera, I hold already, but I like this small lcd counter-battery status window on my M8.

photoshutter

Leica on the cheap.
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 04:07:40 pm »

Quote from: photoshutter
Yes, great camera, I hold already, but I like this small lcd counter-battery status window on my M8.

Plekto

Leica on the cheap.
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 06:23:07 pm »

You might check out the Panasonic LX3, which is as close to a clone of the Leica as it gets.

stevesanacore

Leica on the cheap.
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 06:43:56 pm »

Quote from: MarkL
I really hope epson make an rd2 and massively undercut leica by releasing it at a sensible price and end the madness, I doubt it would come in at under $1k though.

If you want to save some money, zeiss and voigtlander make M mount lenses that are far from shabby in performance.

The M9 with a typical new Leica M lens has the potential to create the finest quality images in it's class - meaning any 35mm size DSLRs.  At 18MP and with out a AA filter on the sensor, combined with un-compromised Leica optics create a formula that may be hard to beat.  Up until now I felt my 1Ds Mk3 with my Leica R 28 2.8 is the ultimate DSLR image maker but the new M9 may be better.

This said, the asking price is not out of line if you are looking for ultimate image quality.
We don't know what we don't know.

chex

Leica on the cheap.
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 07:45:43 pm »

You can buy a Leica CL body for about £300 and an R3 for about £200 if youre patient.

The pana LX3 is not a clone of a Leica anything.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 07:49:04 pm by chex »

AmCam

• http://thedigitalcamerasite.blogspot.com
Leica on the cheap.
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2009, 09:39:58 pm »

Forive the ignorance from a newbie but why is a Panasonic a clone of a Leica ? I was under the impression that Leicae (if that is the correct plural) were horrendously expensive for a reason ?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 09:40:32 pm by AmCam »

aaykay

Leica on the cheap.
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 05:27:10 am »

Quote from: AmCam
I was under the impression that Leicae (if that is the correct plural) were horrendously expensive for a reason ?

Extremely high level of manual labor (especially in a high-labor-cost market like Europe) involved in its manufacture is probably the reason, along with capacity constraints that limit the number of units produced.  The products themselves work very well for what they are supposed to do, but the electronics specs in these Leica cameras are probably 2-3 years behind the technology curve.  But, obviously, the M9 remains the only digital Full-frame rangefinder available currently.

sojournerphoto

Leica on the cheap.
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 11:04:48 am »

The cheapest modern way into rangefinder photography is through a Voigtlander body. I have an R2m (normal viewfinder) and an R4m (wide angle viewfinder) and both are very nice cameras. I've also got a Zeiss Ikon that is even nicer, but more expensive (and possibly fragile).

For lenses, Voigtlander make some very good glass and the Zeiss (Cosina Voigtlander built) and Leica are both excellent. Wides are often better than slr glass, or equivalent for less money.

Of course, you'll have to shoot film (better than most realise if you scan it yourself), but at least it's full frame...

I like rangefinders and for a lot of walk around stuff much prefer them to slrs. Best start with a less expnsive one though as they are not for everyone and, with respect to JOhn Camp, won't automatically make you a better photographer. Of course you may just find they fit your way of working and so relaease you to express yourself more than an slr does:)

Oh, given where you live, you should be aware that rf focus mechanisms can potenitally be more fragile than slr. Still worth a go in my view.

Mike
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 11:08:37 am by sojournerphoto »

Frere Jacques

• http://found.kezman.info/
Leica on the cheap.
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2009, 04:35:40 am »

Voigtlander R3A + 40mm f1.4 Nokton = US$938 at Camera Quest...

chex

Leica on the cheap.
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2009, 06:04:54 am »

Quote from: AmCam
Forive the ignorance from a newbie but why is a Panasonic a clone of a Leica ? I was under the impression that Leicae (if that is the correct plural) were horrendously expensive for a reason ?

Leicas lower end digicams are actually rebranded panasonic cameras - they have a partnership with each other. Their range finders are expensive mostly because they are hand buuilt in Germany where labour is not cheap.

photoshutter

Leica on the cheap.
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2009, 03:16:53 pm »

M9 is very sexy? It is just tool.

Dan Wells

Leica on the cheap.
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2009, 05:46:36 pm »

I was VERY disappointed by the DXO dynamic range results for the E-P1 (and the Panasonic G1, which shares sensor tech with the GF1), which I had hoped would be a cheaper way to a compact camera with DSLR image quality...I know not to trust DXOs numbers, but their relative rankings aren't bad.  Looks like the Leica is the only game in town right now - maybe Nikon or someone will release an appealing little EVF camera in the near future...

-Dan

SCQ

Leica on the cheap.
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2009, 02:42:00 am »

Voigtlander lenses are great. I swear my 35 is a softer copy, but the 15 Heliar I use is the sharpest wide angle I've seen in my life - and it was relatively inexpensive too!

A digital rangefinder's going to be expensive no matter which one you get. I think M8 prices are around 2.5-3k used right now, and once the M9 is readily in stock, the M8 will stay at around 2.5-3k for awhile. As for the Epson, I believe it retailed for over $2k when it came out, and a quick check on eBay shows them with still very high prices.

Best bet is a used M, Zeiss Ikon, or Bessa film body. Zeiss lenses are remarkably sharp and offer a good medium between the lower priced Voigtlander lenses and Leica glass. You will occasionally be able to find vintage Leica lenses or demo Leica lenses for a decent - but still very high price.

Good luck with your search - but Leica and cheap don't really go in the same sentence together.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Leica on the cheap.
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2009, 09:47:17 am »

Quote from: SCQ
Voigtlander lenses are great. I swear my 35 is a softer copy, but the 15 Heliar I use is the sharpest wide angle I've seen in my life - and it was relatively inexpensive too!

A digital rangefinder's going to be expensive no matter which one you get. I think M8 prices are around 2.5-3k used right now, and once the M9 is readily in stock, the M8 will stay at around 2.5-3k for awhile. As for the Epson, I believe it retailed for over $2k when it came out, and a quick check on eBay shows them with still very high prices.

Best bet is a used M, Zeiss Ikon, or Bessa film body. Zeiss lenses are remarkably sharp and offer a good medium between the lower priced Voigtlander lenses and Leica glass. You will occasionally be able to find vintage Leica lenses or demo Leica lenses for a decent - but still very high price.

Good luck with your search - but Leica and cheap don't really go in the same sentence together.

There are any number of cheap M6, M42 and M3/M2 bodies floating around Europe. Beaten up is usually ok. Same goes for lenses if they're a bit scratched up.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

jschone

Leica on the cheap.
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2009, 03:51:47 pm »

My setup is:

-Leica M8 with 28mm summicron and 50 summicron
-Fuji GW670 II

The Fuji can be found for around 500-700 dollars. Start with that and get into rangefinder photography. When you'll have the budget for an M8, the Fuji will still be useful for your (very)big prints (especially with some new Ektar film).

Jochem
Pages: [1]   Go Up