Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alaska Photo Tours  (Read 10422 times)

Brenda Tharp

Alaska Photo Tours
« on: January 18, 2004, 12:21:30 am »

You might check out Steve Gilroy's Alaska Photo Tours. I have heard they are good ones and he's a good photographer.

clinton

Alaska Photo Tours
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2004, 02:56:10 pm »

I would like some opportunity for close bear photos (canon 400mm f2.8 is plus 1.4 and 2x converters) as well as a sampling of other activities.

clinton

Alaska Photo Tours
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2004, 08:04:03 am »

Curt, thanks for the advice.  Any recommendations on trip planning guide books?

robertprice

• http://www.robertpricephotography.com
Alaska Photo Tours
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2004, 04:01:15 pm »

Curt, Please go to http://www.alaskaphototours.com/tours.htm and look into their Katmai coastal tours.  The experience is beyond exceptional for bears, eagles, and lots of other critters.  The owner/operator, Steve Freno, can also be reached at via email.  Steve is the current owner of the service formerly owned by Steve Gilroy who is mentioned in another posting in this forum.  Very professional outfit.  No, I am not directly connected to them, just very aware of their exceptional, world-class service.

bob

clinton

Alaska Photo Tours
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2004, 09:58:26 pm »

I would like to go to Alaska this summer.  Does anyone have experienced-based recommendations for tours or tour operators?

ryankbrooks

Alaska Photo Tours
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2004, 12:50:12 pm »

Alaska is big.  Any ideas where you'd like to go?

You could spend an entire season in Denali.

Curt

• www.pbase.com/cwphoto
Alaska Photo Tours
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2004, 06:25:09 pm »

You might try Alaska without a formal tour. I have been there three times since 1997. I studied the "Milepost" extensively before my first trip. I did not want to be chained to a tour that may have different priorties than mine. Anyway, in those three trips I have photographed the brown bears at Katmai NP, spent a week camping at Denali's Wonder Lake. Hiked several glaciers, flew with a bush pilot over the heavily glaciated Wrangell-St Elias NP, & kayaked in Kenai Fjords NP & also went on a whale watching trip. For each trip I spent from 2 days to a week at Denali. The wildlife & scenery is there but you must have time to wait it out due to weather conditions. Along with a grizzly on the road with me I also encountered mosquitoes & got wonderful photos of Dall sheep at a spot known as Marmot Rock.
If you need the security of a group than go that way. But if you need to watch a budget as I do than pick your way.
The trip is what you plan for and the adventure is what happens! Good Luck to you.

Curt

• www.pbase.com/cwphoto
Alaska Photo Tours
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2004, 07:04:42 pm »

Try this link to Alaska Society of Nature Photographers

http://www.asonp.org/interestinglinks.htm

David Taylor

• http://www.sixtyonenorth.com
Alaska Photo Tours
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 02:30:27 am »

I hope this isn't against protocol, I don't want to break any rules. We are starting our own adventure photography tour company in January of 2009. It is something we've been planning for years, and it's finally coming to fruition. Our business is called Sixtyone North LLC, and we are a photography workshop/tour company based and specializing in Alaska.
www.sixtyonenorth.com
Feel free to contact us with any questions, even if you choose to travel alone, we'd love to help you plan your trip.
Dave Taylor

LARRYWESTBROOK

Alaska Photo Tours
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 10:58:47 am »

We went to Silver Salmon Lodge in Lake Clark National Park and had a great time--late June and many,many bears.Look up Jess Lee on his website.Larry
Pages: [1]   Go Up